GUI gone!

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Farmerbrown

GUI gone!

Post by Farmerbrown »

Hey y'all I'm here under a new identity...not trying to pull a fast one on anyone I promise!

I used to be catscratch but now I'm Farmerbrown...and I don't even know why! Maybe I'm senile or schizophrenic or both.

Today I tried to install one of my Zarg synths (Solaris) that hadn't been activated since moving to a new computer over a year ago.
I finally found the key (and it was accepted) but I immediately lost the ability to open the GUI of anything and I mean everything...mixers, synths etc. This is the case whether or not Solaris is loaded and it holds true for everything...all projects... old or new. I fear my setup has been corrupted by this Zarg install. Not sure how else to explain it. Audio is fine btw.

I think I'll need to re install scope 7 from the ground up. Not a pleasant prospect.

I'm on win10 / 64.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew, catscratch, farmerbrown
valis

Re: GUI gone!

Post by valis »

This sounds like a dsp file or dll is in the wrong place, but without knowing more it's hard to say. The first thing to do is check John's install files for the Solaris, and take note of what subfolders were supposed to go where. Compare the zipfile folder contents with your Scope folder, and make sure you indeed put all files in the correct areas.

Also note you can simply install Scope on top of the existing install to 'fix' incorrect files, but if some of the Solaris contents are in the wrong place it might be good to correct that anyway.

Also note you can can move certain folders (Devices, Modular modules) to troubleshoot opening scope, but not others (App/bin, dsp files etc).

Lastly, make sure this isn't something simple like a screenset issue or things having accidentally moved to a different (virtual?) Windows desktop.

I'll defer to others from here...
Farmerbrown

Post by Farmerbrown »

Thanks for the reply, Valis. Any file installation was done many months ago (properly or improperly). It was only recently that I dragged the synth into a project and entered the key. So, I'm thinking the damage (moving dll or dsp files) should have appeared back then. Other Zarg synths have been working since then (Pro one and Rd drum are regulars for me). I will verify the install file paths just the same.

I never use screen shots but I'll check this since I may have done something inadvertently.

Installing over top isn't so bad if I don't have to re enter all the keys.

Thanks again for the tips.
valis

Post by valis »

Key file ok? You can check that by hand
Farmerbrown

Post by Farmerbrown »

With Zarg the keyfile and the synth name don't always match. I put a few bad ones in before I found the proper match (and I still can't find the key for Comb plus v3 ) . In the process I clicked "keep on top" in the routing window. Everything was opening BEHIND the routing window. A real dumb mistake but something I've never encountered in almost 20 years in the pulsar/scope world... 100% user error. Thanks for the patience.
valis

Post by valis »

Ah so GUI eclipsed GUI, here I imagined a blank screen from your wording. This is a known PEBK mistake among us Scopers :)
Farmerbrown

Post by Farmerbrown »

Yes, a poor description of the problem. Modules are visible but clicking didn't (appear to) open the gui.

Deservedly embarrassing abbreviation that I don't want to understand! I guess it's testament to how background Xite is for me. My default project is mostly for routing and I don't use many synths outside the ones in that default project (rd drum and FeeMee).

Not that it matters much, but I was working on a quirky little (30 second) stop-frame art video when all this happened. I think we used every Zarg synth ...except Solaris and Comb plus. Solaris is now working btw.

https://youtu.be/EfBUWa3vGxE