Pianoteq Pops ASIO?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Pianoteq Pops ASIO?

Post by ronnie »

It could be the latest update to Pianoteq but this issue has been bugging me for a while. Every so often there are random pops. I tried various presets in it and no profit. I tried adjusting latency in Scope. No Joy. Tried different MIDI sources, files, and controllers. Nada.

It works perfectly on my Motu unit so methinks it has to do with the ASIO driver. I switched between every ASIO driver in Scope and it seems like it changes, longer times between them but that becomes short-lived.

It's no big deal because I can run it on my DAW and send the output to Scope via MOTU ADAT with zero issues. It's just one of those nagging mysteries I can't get solved. I just hate to have things in the cold-case file, even if they're not serious issues.

I was thinking of using V-Ban (I use it only when I need multiple ASIO devices) but like to keep Scope clean. I was even thinking of trying ASIO4ALL on it but to me, that would be outright heresy! I could never be a Scope infidel after being a faithful evangelist for 17 years! What would I be called? A proctoscope?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
valis

Re: Pianoteq Pops ASIO?

Post by valis »

Something is stealing CPU time. Do you have anything in your Scope project besides ASIO & hardware i/o's?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Sure. MIDI Merger, MIDI Monitors, 2 Optimasters, B-2003, STM-1632, MV Classic, 1 WAV source, 2 WAV outs. 30% across 24 DSPs. I'm thinking MIDI Merger 4>1 or MIDI monitors? Running Process Lasso, machine is tuned perfectly. The only CPU usage is SCOPE and the Pianoteq. Sample Tank has no issues with multiple MIDI channels nor does anything else!
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
valis

Post by valis »

Try no wave modules
Then no midi modules (doubtful they are a problem)
Then no optimasters
garyb

Post by garyb »

is One Drive still part of Windows?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bet it’s One Drive in Windows.
I’m going to go fix my install paths as Im having the same issue and never had that in XP/7/8.1.

I recently updated PTeq too.
It will make clicks/pops if you use too much sustain pedal and low Poly settings.
Note stealing algo will quietly steal notes but on the next pedaling pop because it’s resetting or something.
Raise the poly to 192.

I also avoid multicore because it adds latency, but that’s a preference because I do the same with Kontakt, and ZebraHZ/Keyscape are core parked.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

One Drive? Never touch the stuff! I'm on 8.1. Pianoteq only has preset levels of polyphony, 192 is not an option. I'm set at 256. Multicore is fine. Core Parking is disabled.

Removed all Wave modules.

Also removed unused SP/DIF. Better but not 100%.

I increased the ULLI so the Pianoteq buffer is 512 @ 11.6 ms.

Keep Pianoteq at max -6 db.

Saved project under a new name. Reloaded Scope and Pianoteq. Also minimized the Pianoteq GUI to avoid issues with HDMI or nVidia.
Also double checked nVidia settings for Scope and Pianoteq and made some adjustments there so there's no gaming fat.

Profit!

Pianoteq never sounded so great. Really shines now more than ever if that was possible.

Thank you Valis and dawman!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Right you are on the poly.
Kontakt is 192 and Omnisphere is 48.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (716.46 KiB) Viewed 1142 times