vst connect and scope

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

vst connect and scope

Post by Joey »

I want to connect two computers, one a scope system, the other running cubase, by vst connect. (Steinberg)
So that would mean installing the vst connect performer application on the scope system.

Now the problem is, whenever I try to run the vst connect performer, the system crashes and reboots.
I assume this happens when it tries to connect to the scope asio drivers.

I tried a lot: all the different asio options (what's the difference between those, anyway?). But it crashes every time.
Has anybody got this to work? Or does anybody have a suggestion about what's going wrong?

Both are win10 systems, btw. I have a Scope, a Pulsar1 and a luna card installed.
garyb

Re: vst connect and scope

Post by garyb »

try running vst connect in win8 compatibility mode.
Joey

Post by Joey »

unfortunately, that did no do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a difference between the 3 asio drivers in Scope? (probably, because they are there, but what is it?)
Spielraum

SC ASIO school | vst connect and scope

Post by Spielraum »

and vst system link does not work with 16bit asio, you have to know that. i recommend at least 24bit. maybe that helps a little

###
# covid19, time to read manual, slows down and refreshes knowledge 8)
###

Driver Interfaces

Audio and MIDI communication with the operating system or other applications such as hard disk recorders or MIDI sequencers is also handled with modules. In this case, modules represent specific software drivers. All you need to do to enable a driver is to load the corresponding module into the routing window. Then, to establish communication (signal routing), simply connect the appropriate inputs and outputs of the various modules together as desired. Driver interface modules are located in the directory ../Devices/Soft-ware IOs

Note that other programs will recognize a driver only if it is loaded into the project. For this reason, configure the project with the required driver module(s) before running the other pro-gram.

ASIO

Steinberg developed the ASIO driver to deal with latency issues (signal delays) imposed by the computer’s operating system. In addition to Steinberg’s own Cubase VST, ASIO has been adopted by other manufacturers, such as E-Magic (Logic Audio 4.x).

Our software offers a range of ASIO drivers to support resolutions of 16, 24, or 32 bits, ASIO versions 1 and 2, and a maximum of 32 or 64 channels of I/O. Generally you should use the "smallest" driver sufficient for your needs to conserve DSP resources.

ASIO(1) Modules

You can adjust the number of input and output channels independently from 2-32 or 2-64, depending on the specific module. Set the number of channels by double-clicking on the module surface, or opening the shortcut menu.

ASIO ... source ...: These modules deliver the audio output signals from the hard disk recording program to the SCOPE Fusion Platform environment.

ASIO ... dest ...: These modules send audio signals to the recording program’s virtual inputs.

For each module above several variations are available. Note that you can load only respective source/dest modules of the same type.

ASIO source/dest: 2-32 channels, 16-bit.

Instead of these modules, you can use the newer ASIO1-16 source/dest 64 modules. The basic ASIO source/dest modules are provided for compatibility with earlier projects.

ASIO1-16 source/dest 64: 2-64 channels, 16 bit.

ASIO 24 Bit source/dest: 2-32 channels, 24 bit.

Instead of these modules, you can use the newer ASIO1-32 source/dest 64 modules. The basic ASIO 24 Bit source/ dest modules are provided for compatibility with earlier projects.

Using the 24-bit drivers doubles the number of channels used on the PCI bus and requires increased storage space for the audio files.

Use only 16 OR 24 bit drivers for both the source and dest modules - you cannot use one resolution for input and another for output.

ASIO1-32 source/dest 64: 2-64 channels, 24 or 32 bit integer.
Use this module for 24 bit recording.

ASIO1-Flt source/dest 64: 2-64 channels, 32 bit floating point.
Use this module for 32bit recording with Cubase.

ASIO2 Modules

In addition to the ASIO driver, the SCOPE Fusion Platform provides an ASIO-2 driver conforming to Steinberg’s ASIO-2 extensions to the original ASIO standard. This driver has the following enhancements:

Direct Monitoring: Routes specified audio signals directly to an output. It has always been possible with our software to monitor a signal, latency-free, during recording by routing it to the monitoring system in the routing window. However, during punch in/out recording, the routing introduces latency. The Direct Monitoring feature allows you to switch between monitoring the recorded signal and the input signal, without latency, during punch in/out recording. To use this feature, enable ASIO Direct Monitoring in the ASIO-2 driver in Cubase’s Audio/ System menu. Punch in/out monitoring now operates as follows: Initially you hear the signal recorded on the track you are about to punch in on. When you punch in, the monitored signal switches to the input signal. Then, when you punch out, monitoring switches back to the recorded signal.

Sample-Accurate Synchronization with External Digital Devices: With the optional Sync Plate you can route time code from, for example, an ADAT device to the MTCtoClk module, and from there to the Clk input on an ASIO 2 dest module. This makes possible sample-accurate synchronization between Cubase and the ADAT device.

The ASIO 2 driver modules are available in the same variations as the ASIO 1 modules described previously.

The single ASIO Dest module supports all sample resolutions and adapts itself automatically to the resolution of the Source module connected to it.

The source modules provide a control panel with which you can adjust the number of channels for both the source and dest modules.
Always make sure the appropriate ASIO modules are loaded into your project before running the recording/sequencer program.

(c) pulsar scope handbuch
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
garyb

Post by garyb »

the problem is that steinberg expects that app to interface with Windows soundcards, and Scope is not a soundcard. they are trying to have the app set up the audio hardware, which is impossible, because Scope audio is external to Windows. Steinberg can fix that. they have fixed it for Wavelab in the past(they just need to allow Scope to determine audio settings). whether or not they will....
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thank you for that explanation. I printed it out for future reference and thorough examination.
I think I'll just give up my efforts to set up vst connect for now. Too many crashes, time to make music.