Win 7 slow scope startup

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

roy thinnes

Win 7 slow scope startup

Post by roy thinnes »

Since lately Scope takes quite some time to load on startup (almost a minute).
It's no hardware defect as it doesn't happen on a second partition where Scope loads in 1-2 seconds.
I have a strong feeling this could be related to a Win 7 update which I detected in a system restore point, made on April 15th aka yesterday.
(The other Win7 system wasn't updated.)
I thought MS doesn't update Win 7 anymore, but :evil:
Anyone here who still has Win 7 and got the same problem?
Bud Weiser

Re: Win 7 slow scope startup

Post by Bud Weiser »

roy thinnes wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:50 pm
I thought MS doesn't update Win 7 anymore, but :evil:
Anyone here who still has Win 7 and got the same problem?
I didn´t try w/ SCOPE,- but at about 02:30h a.m. I recognized my Win10 machine lost internet connection w/ messages "hardware failure", "driver could not be loaded".
It didn´t work until 05:00h a.m. and what I did for is a different story.

WHILE it didn´t work, I powered up my Win7 Pro SP1 x64 machine which usually is my DAW ...
I went nuts because keyboard and mouse being connected to the USB3 hub on my Samsung screen didn´t work and I recognized the antivirus trying to update and install a "safety browser" in addition I didn´t ask for and I now was unable to refuse because of the mouse failure.
I switched machines off, rebooted, went into UEFI (BIOS), checked device managers and so on ...

At least I recognized there came automatic Windows updates for both,- Win 7 and Win 10,- and antivirus tried to install an "important" application version update on both the machines at the same time.

In fact, it wiped my Win10 network connection,- possibly temporary but for a longer time,- and on Win7 it possibly disabled powering keyboard and mouse via USB3 hub for some time.

So, YES, we still get Win7 updates from Microsoft !!!
It´s not the 1st one I got since they officially discontinued Win7 support.
There are still coming "KB"s, .NET framework, remote desktop and s##t updates.

It might have changed some settings on your Win7 machine.

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

multiple os on multiple partitions can be troublesome. stuff can load from the wrong partition, then there's big trouble...
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Maybe reinstalling Scope drivers wiould help?
I mean, its not that important as - once Scope is loaded - everything is working fine.
Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:02 am antivirus tried to install an "important" application version update on both the machines at the same time.
That sounds creepy. You're sure you need an antivirus app on your DAW partition?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

roy thinnes wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:23 am
Maybe reinstalling Scope drivers wiould help?
I mean, its not that important as - once Scope is loaded - everything is working fine.
Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:02 am antivirus tried to install an "important" application version update on both the machines at the same time.
That sounds creepy. You're sure you need an antivirus app on your DAW partition?
I don´t have a DAW partition, I have several machines,- Win7 x64, WinXP x86 and the Win10 office machine.
All are connected to the same router and when they power up, antivirus tries to update, same as Win10.
AVAST is the only one still supporting WinXP, Win7 and Win10,- AND,- it has the advantage I can switch it off for installations and audio/MIDI work whenever I want and from the taskbar.
For 10min, 1hr or permanent until next (re-)boot.
It was not the main issue and I need it in rare cases I go into the web w/ the (Win7) DAW machine,- for application updates (Studio One Pro/ Reason/ NI Native Access) or when office machine fails, google for solutions and/or to check emails.

It was crappy Windows update on both the machines because USB power on Win7 machine and network on Win10 were disabled.
It seems Win10 update shot the network driver and as a result wasn´t able finishing the update.
On Win 7 machine, keyboard and mouse came back on their former USB ports once the update was finished,- but in between, I had to connect keyboard and mouse to different USB2 ports and reboot to prevent AVAST from installing it´s "Safety Browser".
It was not the 1st time keyboard & mouse lost connection temporary during Windows 7 update.

In fact, on Win10 machine, there was no LAN connection anymore.
It was indeed wiped from SSD and came back out of the blue 2 1/2 hrs later.
Never seen before.
On both the machines antivirus reported "You´re connected to a new network",- whatever that meant.
But once all the updates incl. reboots were finished, all was back as it was before.

Meanwhile I guess SSDs might be the culprits when after Windows updates drivers cannot be found/loaded.
Maybe trim function kicks into other processes or such.
I never ever had such issues when I used HDDs only.

So, your SCOPE load time is still slow now ?

:)

Bud
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:07 am So, your SCOPE load time is still slow now ?
I haven't tried it but I'm sure nothing has changed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4550964
'Security updates to Internet Explorer, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Kernel, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Graphics, Windows Media, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Core Networking, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.'
Maybe it's because of Scope's uncertified drivers?
Win7 don't trust the Scope driver and takes some time to investigate?
Anyway, it's annoying.
valis

Post by valis »

Is that partition on a spinning drive? Is it the second (or third) partition on that drive?
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

It's on a SSD, and there are four partitions in total.
Everything works, it's just Scope taking unusual much time to load on startup.
valis

Post by valis »

Yes so the question would be WHY. If it's not a spinning drive that's overloaded, we can eliminate that as a cause.

Have you checked your event viewer for messages in the system or application logs to see if there's anything relevant?
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

-Event viewer: since the problem occured only since shortly I think error messages which repeatedly occured before can be excluded.
So: no, nothing extraordinary, neither in system nor application logs.
-after system start I run ProcMon to see what's going on, searched after Scope, and found some entries 'file locked with only readers'. Maybe an administrator rights issue?
-anyway, to avoid wasting time I deleted Scope from Autostart folder. Manually starting Scope, and hiding it / loading start up project afterwards is way faster than the crippled autostart.

So, no solution but okayish workaround.