increasing crashes with Cubase

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Wolferich

increasing crashes with Cubase

Post by Wolferich »

I mainly use my 2xPulsar II setup as audio interface for Cuabse. For long it was rock solid. Now, since a while I have occasional crashes of Cubase. Windows reports are indicating a problem with the scope driver. As the system was running absolutely stable before I wonder if this could be a sign of some hardware failure due to the age of the Pulsar cards. Could that be ?
t_tangent

Re: increasing crashes with Cubase

Post by t_tangent »

Could be yes, but it could also be and is more likely to be one of a number of other things. Can't really help you much without knowing your setup, motherboard and other components, Ŵindows version, scope version, etc etc.

Did you try reinstalling the scope driver? I would start with that
valis

Post by valis »

Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Sorry. I thought that this info was included in my profile at every post but that seems too be in another forum.

I have 2 Pulsar II cards in a WIN 10 64 bit running Cubase 10.5. latest version.

Motherboard: GA-Z170-D3H with Intel i7-7700K at 4.2 GHz
AMD RADEON RX 5700
16 GB

The system was running stable in this setup for a long while but since some weeks there are crashes. They only happen under Cubase (already reinstalled) and it seems to me that the crashes are coming more often now. I cannot reproduce the crash .
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Link to screenshot of my Pulsar routing:

Last edited by Wolferich on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valis

Post by valis »

Screenshot didn't work. Also we do appreciate including your system info only in the problem solving post(s) where needed, rather than your signature.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

OK now?
valis

Post by valis »

What version of Cubase? With recent versions you might have to set it to compatibility modes, others will comment for the specific setting.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Cubase 10.5 (see above) 64 bit
No xtc obviously
valis

Post by valis »

Right click Cubase's shortcut that you launch it from and set it to compatibility for Windows 8.1. See if that helps.

I believe that's the correct setting at least, I'm still on an old version of Cubase since it isn't my primary DAW.
garyb

Post by garyb »

new plugin?

i haven't heard of any Cubase 10 issues like that...
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

I did install 2 or 3 new Plug Ins during the last 6 month. When I had the first problems I deleted them. I also reinstalled Cubase at this occasion. Both without effect. There has been a update for Cubase in that period too from 10.5 to 10.5.12 which I have installed.

When Cubase crashes, the Cubase windows close and I get a loop of about half a second (or less) that is repeated until I close the still running Scope application. If I restart scope it behaves correct. Afterwards I can restart Cubase.

I will try the compatibility setting but it wasn't necessary before.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I had some issues with PCI Overflow that made me nervous only to find out I need to go online with Windows 10 weekly.
It’s a live rig I never stay online except updates. Usually use a Thumb Drive.

CPU was working way too hard and it was heat, but while it was hotter because being offline causes the PC to run to mama (Windows 10) and search for files it never finds. Must be frustrating.
Just update the OS weekly, then set time at “pause for 7 days”...

Sounds far fetched but I’ve been offline for a year, now it’s smooth and runs like new.
I even updated my last Windows 7 spare to Windows 10 since it runs so smooth.
It kept shutting down with PCI Overflow, plus the Host software wasn’t finding ASIO modules.

That was from new Bidule exe. and fixed as the developer pm’d me the 9761 Feb. 2019 build.

This shit drives me nuts once a year it seems.
Guess I gotta play M$oft, Int€£ and App£€’s game to be safe.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

Why exactly does it need the compatibility mode for Cubase? Never heard of that before.
Wolferich

Post by Wolferich »

I have used Cubase with another Interface now and it crashed again. Therefore it seems not to be an issue of Scope/Pulsar. Good and bad. I will make another thorough system cleaning. Maybe I find remainings of older plugins.

The compatibility settings didn‘t mak any difference as far as I could see.
valis

Post by valis »

Compatibility settings seemed more relevant to people using Ableton Live, but it's worth a shot when it comes to troubleshooting. Seems you took some troubleshooting steps of your own and have narrowed things down to your software environment. Easiest thing to do is remove (or disable) plugins in batches until you can narrow the issue down to 1 batch, and then the offending plugin(s) or determine that no plugins are at issue.

Also note I have had plugins from different vendors conflict, and even 2 plugins from the same vendor. I was able to catch what occurred and repeat it so that it was obvious, usually it's related to showing the UI from one or having the 'wrapped' plugin open (some devs use wrappers for each format and share a binary blob, which is invisible to the end user) while opening another plugin that uses the same 'wrapper'. This was fairly evident to me once I realized the two related plugins and looked at their respective install directory (not the plugin folder) and saw very similar components. Having them using the same codebase from github but with differing dates made the host rather unhappy somehow. When the dev in question brought the older architecture up to date the issue was solved. Same with the 2 plugins from the same dev (Audio Damage). Opening up Filterstation after Replicant 2 caused a crash (this was in Logic on a Mac) every single time, but not before! 100% repeatable and fixed when he released Filterstation 2, as it was compiled with a newer version of JUCE (his choice for UI codebase).

Note that those are just anecdotal examples, but shows how fun it was to narrow down my issues when it came to plugins. It's also of course possible you have some other conflict afoot, or perhaps bad voltages somewhere (PSU) or ram etc. All troubleshooting steps should of course apply, so don't take my anecdotes and other input here for gospel, just giving input based on what we're able to read from your posts.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I have cubase 5 for my old projects and it oftens crashes at start-up. For me it is an issue with the cubase dongle, or may be recent plugins. Sometimes it can crash many times, but once it is open, it is ok.

I have transferred most projects to Studio One now so I rarely need to go back to cubase. It is certainly not an issue of Scope.

Studio One never crashes, and it does not use a dongle. Plugins are the same as the ones loaded at cubase start-up Also, I don't use any plugins that use ilok or e-licensers hardware dongles, may be it is a cause of errors (I have a synth plug that used the elicenser but now the key is on the hard drive, it still shows an error at start-up but finally loads ok, i don't use that plug anymore though, because i managed to bounce all tracks to disk and transfer them into studio one). I think I have read thread on the net where people had problems with dongles in general.

Too bad Logic is not on PC anymore, it is the best :-(
Last edited by spacef on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
valis

Post by valis »

Logic Pro X on Mac working just fine with Scope here! (On a different machine :lol: )
spacef

Post by spacef »

:)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

you could try changing the usb port where the elicenser is plugged in. it could also be a cause of problem.
i have installed an ableton live demo today (full vrsion is free for 3 month) and no problem at all.
for me all those cubase issues come from the fact that it uses a dongle.
no other apps shows as much issues as cubase on the same scope install.
Also, scope pci or Xite (pci-e) does not change anything (it started long time ago when i was on scope pci) .
so for me it is totally cubase fault in a way or another.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website