Using ASIO Link Pro to avoid SCOPE BSOD in Win 10

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

cortone

Re: Using ASIO Link Pro to avoid SCOPE BSOD in Win 10

Post by cortone »

GaryB and Valis, can you verify that this is the most direct email to Holger: support@soniccore.de

If not, what is the correct contact for this type of information?

Holger is very likely on top of this and has included updated data structures for any future releases, but I can verify that DragonSF is identifying a real coding issue, including why it causes a BSOD in some cases and not others. Let's make it easy for DSF to follow through. If Holger is not aware (for whatever reason), I am absolutely certain that he will appreciate the information.

Holger is brilliant, and a hero to all of us Scopers for the best of reasons, but one-man engineering is HARD. Extra eyes can make a difference.

DragonSF, do you have time to try and follow up?

Cheers, Cory
valis

Post by valis »

http://scope.zone/ << link in top right that says "support" and lays out the options.

I can't speak for garyb, what he does here is his own thing and he's made it clear comes from his free time in the past so take my response on the previous page in this light please. These forums are here for us to help each other, and share information. I just don't want garyb to feel he has to log every support issue that comes up here, especially when he's responding to people after midnight in his timezone. Hope that makes sense.

Also, it's been an overly active week here with certain problematic actors, so if our response seems terse at first understand we're trying to vet the wheat from the chaff and apologize to any caught in the ire of the crossfire. :)
cortone

Post by cortone »

Thanks Valis, that's the link where I found the email in my post above, so 'support@soniccore.de' is the best option.

I understand that DragonSF's info is of little use here, aside from this being the one-stop shop for Scope, but indirectly it could be invaluable. I'm just trying to grease the skids to get it to where it matters, or find out that it's already there. I hope to hear from DFS soon too, and will help pass the word if necessary, but I don't want to bomb Holger either.

Sorry to hear about the bad actors, it explains a lot. Best of luck with the battle.
valis

Post by valis »

Just a note that I had also communicated directly with DragonSF and clarified his connection to Holger, which seems is already on a proper footing. His statement here made it seem like there was one point of contact 2.5 years ago, and so my responses were based upon that. Can't read minds (anymore) and so we can only evaluate based on the information we have at the time. Thanks for participating and glad to see we're all able to navigate stormy waters together. :)
dante

Post by dante »

Hopefully that means Holger has a potential solution at hand for his investigation and determination of its efficacy and future effectiveness in immunization against this Sars-BSOD-x64 virus.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

DragonSF wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:18 pm
I just want to make clear, that the apps don't do any illegitimate calls -... . GetChannelInfo is one of the first calls required by ASIO protocol, before opening the driver. That some DAWs just survive is due to the fact, that they operate in the lower address space, which is save.
Very interesting for sure,- if true.
How to fix ?
Is that "easy" and quickly to realize ?

:)

Bud
cortone

Post by cortone »

The answer to that is "It depends". DSF's code capture shows the first step in the code call, and changing from a DWORD to a QWORD is easy there. But this code calls additional code which also has to be changed to accept the QWORD that is being passed to it, again not difficult in his example. But the process of code calls and passing this larger address space to the next files likely becomes very convoluted as it continues to be passed along in the extremely complex Scope code base. Some of those code files may need to be restructured to accept and manage a full QWORD once it is passed to them.

The most challenging aspect of all of this is not making the code updates, it is testing and verifying the changes and then creating the solutions when the results are unexpected.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

cortone wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:09 am The answer to that is "It depends". DSF's code capture shows the first step in the code call, and changing from a DWORD to a QWORD is easy there. But this code calls additional code which also has to be changed to accept the QWORD that is being passed to it, again not difficult in his example. But the process of code calls and passing this larger address space to the next files likely becomes very convoluted as it continues to be passed along in the extremely complex Scope code base. Some of those code files may need to be restructured to accept and manage a full QWORD once it is passed to them.

The most challenging aspect of all of this is not making the code updates, it is testing and verifying the changes and then creating the solutions when the results are unexpected.
That's exactly the problem: the underlying system driver not being able to handle QWORD addresses and of course the testing of everything else. The Scope App gets easily away with that, as it operates in the 32-Bit world only.
valis

Post by valis »

Well it seems we do have a few people here capable of parsing this, but I’m still not sure Holger reads the forums. So discuss away by all means, but hopefully you find means to convey this more directly as well.
cortone

Post by cortone »

Thanks Valis, the first step was verifying the best access to Holger, which you helped me find earlier in this thread: support@soniccore.de.

Based on this post of yours, I have not passed anything directly to Holger, as DragonSF is a better source if he has already responded:
valis wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:23 pm Just a note that I had also communicated directly with DragonSF and clarified his connection to Holger, which seems is already on a proper footing.
I have PMed DSF to see if there is a way I can help.

Cheers, Cory
valis

Post by valis »

Excellent, And thank you for taking my words is authentic and not sarcasm. I actually have a vested interest in 64-bit use myself as my Scope machine that I’ve run for 20 years may not be dead
cortone

Post by cortone »

To be honest, I wasn't sure and made a conscious choice to read it as authentic. Glad to read that I got it right! 20+ years for me too. Nothing short of amazing!