connecting scope and cubase for audio recording

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jasonh

connecting scope and cubase for audio recording

Post by jasonh »

Ok. I'm sure some of you are laughing at this point. I watched videos on Youtube about setting up Cubase. Ive been told to select Scope ASIO as driver...done.
i have ASIO Destination going to recording buses on STM 2448.

I have selected outputs in Cubase.

I have no sound going through to recording. no data in track pane when recording.

I feel like an idiot
valis

Re: connecting scope and cubase for audio recording

Post by valis »

No need to feel like an idiot. Scope isn't a simple soundcard, there's a lot to learn & understand here, which is why these forums are so valued by many (and why I still support them as I learned a lot here).

Also, don't make it so complicated for now. The hangup you're having is understanding the Scope application & how to route signals in it. The mixers are nice, but will obscure the workflow for now as you'll need to understand them as well as Scope.

The first question is, what are you trying to record? A mic? A synth attached to Scope? Something in Cubase? Something in Scope? These will all differ slightly...

If it's simply a sound already IN Cubase then a better option would be to bounce the track, your stems or the mix itself. This is basically exporting rendered audio, importing it back into an audio track while muting/disabling the material you bounced (so you don't duplicate it).

When it comes to EXTERNAL signals which are attached to the scope i/o, the procedure will be similar to recording devices INSIDE of scope (say, minimax) but with an extra step of routing that external signal from a hardware input to the scope ASIO destination(s).

So my recommendation is to start with very simple Scope projects and include your hardware i/o (midi and audio) for your board(s), and an ASIO in & out pair as well as 1-2 MIDI sequencer source/destination pairs. Then learn how to route to each in turn, without complicating your workflow with a mixer. Once you have this all down, you can learn to use more complex Scope devices, mixers and build up signal chains as needed.
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

routing window.png
routing window.png (145.11 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
routing window.png
routing window.png (145.11 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
I am trying to get right I/O's in cubase to be able to record audio
Attachments
cubase window.png
cubase window.png (103.04 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

Pulsar2 ADAT A Source is a Behringer ADA 8200 Mic pre and AD/DA converter
valis

Post by valis »

Again, get signal flowing without using the mixer, and then sort out how to do this with the mixer.
garyb

Post by garyb »

with all due respect, he has the mixer set up properly, my Washington homie.
the Cubase track is set up properly.

there is a problem with the idea of setting up outputs, when you want to get things IN to Cubase.
post screensjhots of your ASIO busses and driver setup for CUBASE.

the Cubase mixer and channel should show level when record enabled and when there is meter activity in Scope. you should see level in the bus meters when the STM2448 channel is assigned correctly.

Jason, this stuff is no different than having a mixer and a tapedeck in the room with you. you already know how to use those things. i've seen you connecting guitar pedals to an amp. same thing. you have to trust that it works and that it's not voodoo. you would never connect the output of a mixer to the output of a tape deck...

i think you are VERY close to happiness!
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

Asio Scope.png
Asio Scope.png (56.19 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Studio setup 1.png
Studio setup 1.png (34.29 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

VST Audio.png
VST Audio.png (46.86 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

In ASIO Scope window, why are Ins inactive?
valis

Post by valis »

garyb wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 pm with all due respect, he has the mixer set up properly, my Washington homie.
the Cubase track is set up properly.

there is a problem with the idea of setting up outputs, when you want to get things IN to Cubase.
post screensjhots of your ASIO busses and driver setup for CUBASE.

the Cubase mixer and channel should show level when record enabled and when there is meter activity in Scope. you should see level in the bus meters when the STM2448 channel is assigned correctly.

Jason, this stuff is no different than having a mixer and a tapedeck in the room with you. you already know how to use those things. i've seen you connecting guitar pedals to an amp. same thing. you have to trust that it works and that it's not voodoo. you would never connect the output of a mixer to the output of a tape deck...

i think you are VERY close to happiness!
Nowhere did imply he was incorrect in how he setup the mixer, though I did think understanding signal flow in scope and getting that signal into cubase without the mixer to be a good idea before operating the mixer in conjunction. Something which your post also seems to support. :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, you're right, but he's further than that. he just doesn't think so.

Jason, you need to go to the audio connections(used to be called vst connections) page and create the bus, if it's not there) and then be sure that Stereo In left(or whatever the exact name is, you can change it) left shows ASIO Scope left or One and that Stereo In Right shows ASIO Scope right or Two. clicking on the section "device port" should give a drop-down where you can choose the input port. i don't remember if it was a right or left click.
vst_connections_window_output_tab_cubase_pro_nuendo.png
vst_connections_window_output_tab_cubase_pro_nuendo.png (16.57 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

normally these ports are chosen automatically, in order, but you can set them to what you want to. apparently, somehow the settings were lost. that's why those ports show as "inactive" in the driver setup window. if you want to use more than the default number of channels(2), then you need to "add bus" either input or output. use stereo busses, even though you can add mono ones. stereo busses work just like mono busses if you only use one channel. left is independent of right unless there's a pan control between them.

from Steinberg:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... dow_r.html
valis

Post by valis »

garyb wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:40 pm no, you're right, but he's further than that. he just doesn't think so.
And I trust you know Scope far better than I, just doing my part to help. 8)
Joey

Post by Joey »

For what it's worth, my thoughts on this (I've been using Cubase and Scope for ages):

What do you mean by "no sound"? is it:
1.-getting no sound into cubase
2. -no monitoring (hearing yourself)?

If it's 1, that's probably already been answered. If you have the asio stuff set up, it should work.
But monitoring is different, as this cannot be done by Cubase. You need to set up a monitoring channel in Scope.
I always use a separate mixer for that, that routes the inputs back to (some of the) outputs.
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

ASIO outputs.png
ASIO outputs.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
ASIO inputs.png
ASIO inputs.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
can you possibly walk me through it?
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Please go to the Audio setup -> "VST audio system" -> ASIO SCOPE and at the "Ports" turn the "state" of the I/O ports named "In1 Scope Flt" and "In2 Scope Flt" (the first two entries) from inactive to active by clicking on the fields. Then it will apppear in the "Audio connections" panel where you will be able to assign as an input bus these inputs.
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

Thank you
.I did just that but they are not changing from inactive to active
garyb

Post by garyb »

do you let your computer sleep?

you don't get a dropdown menu when you click on the "device port"?
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

No it never sleeps
You mean in ASIO Scope where it shows 10 asio flt in and 4 asio flt outs? Ins are yellow outs are blue?
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

I think I just figured it out
Audio connections-inputs were 'not connected'
there was a drop down
set inputs to in 1 and 2
jasonh

Post by jasonh »

Hallelujah