connecting scope and cubase for audio recording

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jasonh

connecting scope and cubase for audio recording

Post by jasonh »

I have scope set up. i can hear my audio equipment ( guitar and vocal) through speakers. I added midi kick drum track in cubase and it plays back. I can hear it and I see the VU meter in the track window in Cubase. When I set up audio track I see the track window in record with a straight line bisecting it. No data recording nor no sound in playback and no VU meter.

I know it is just a setting in Cubase or a button on mixer console in scope. I just cannot grasp the connection so I can record and hear it play back.

Once I figure this out, I'm on my way! Any help?
garyb

Re: connecting scope and cubase for audio recording

Post by garyb »

the INPUT into Cubase is the ASIO Dest.
if you are using the STM2448 mixer, connect the ASIO dest to the recording Bus outputs.
on the channel on the STM2448 mixer, set the rec bus output to 1 and 2 and then pan to the left(to send the signal out bus 1).

in Cubase, be sure that the audio driver is Scope ASIO.

in the Cubase arrange window make a new audio track(mono) and set the track input to Scope ASIO 1 left.

make sure the record button is enabled on the Cubase track(red). push record on the Cubase transport and then record the part.

an important step is that the Scope ASIO source and destination must be in the routing window with the correct number of channels BEFORE Cubase is opened.

now for my generic rant:

buy the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. if you want to be cheap, it's less helpful than owning the book, but a pdf is here:
https://bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Ya ... _Jones.pdf
STUDY THAT BOOK. all of the important terms, connections, signal flow, and technique information that an entry-level audio engineer needs to know are there. fuck computers, they are a tool, not something to do everything for you. you need to know what an engineer needs to know. if you want to do good work, you need to be an engineer, at least a little bit. an engineer is the guy who runs the train, and your studio, while basic, is a serious train.

most of the people who cannot make things work right, or who think things are too complicated, don't know this info. the people who sell software and computer systems are a bunch of lying, deceiving criminals who suggest that just by purchasing some nifty program or a more powerful computer, that one will automatically make great music. nothing could be further from the truth! the ones who make great things are the ones who spend the time to learn how audio(and music itself) works. even though the Yamaha book is about hardware, it all applies to computer-based systems, too.