Pulsar Midi not found in Cubase

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

Pulsar Midi not found in Cubase

Post by Joey »

I am running Scope 7 on a Win10 machine. Audio, asio, it's all fine, but I cannot make the Scope midi connections appear in Cubase.

I tried running Scope before starting Cubase, and in Scope I installed the sequencer midi in and midi out (two of both). Then, when starting Cubase, I assumed the ports would be visible in Cubase. But no.

I might be missing something obvious here, but I cannot find it.
fra77x2

Re: Pulsar Midi not found in Cubase

Post by fra77x2 »

I'm not familiar with cubase but in Reaper you have to activate the midi ports in reaper's settings before being able to use them. Perhaps it's similar in cubase. As you described your issue I can't figure anything else than this.

Before running cubase Scope must be running and the sequences midi modules included in the project window. If you add any new midi sequencer modules after you have runned cubase you have to restart cubase to make them available.
at0m

Post by at0m »

fra77x2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:32 pm Before running cubase Scope must be running and the sequences midi modules included in the project window. If you add any new midi sequencer modules after you have runned cubase you have to restart cubase to make them available.
At least in WinXP, Scope project has to contain exactly the amount of Seq Sources and Dests as set in Computer > Manage > Hardware > Scope > Properties. (In XP at least) you cannot just go add midi IO in Scope - every project has to have that amount before any program expecting Scope MIDI starts. IIRC, the same goes for Wave Source and Wave Dest.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

Joey,

How many cards are in your system?

Which version of Win10 (64/32bit) and which version of Cubase?

And are you closing Cubase while making these changes?
Joey

Post by Joey »

Hey Valis,
I've got a Scope, a Pulsar 1 and a Luna. Win10 64 bit. Cubase Elements 7. I don't close Cubase while making changes. Opening Scope, including the midi ports, then opening Cubase. Closing in reverse order.
dante

Post by dante »

Once Scope is started with Midi drivers, is Scope midi appear in device manager ? I remember in old windows/Cubase, there was a hack to make them appear - don’t know if that’s still the case.
valis

Post by valis »

I meant in regards to making changes in Scope with the drivers (ASIO & Midi) that connect to Cubase. Sounds like you have the correct order down there, Cubase won't see any changes until it's restarted.
at0m

Post by at0m »

dante wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:39 pm I remember in old windows/Cubase, there was a hack to make them appear - don’t know if that’s still the case.
That "hack" actually removes native or emulated DirectMusic MIDI ports, duplicate drivers, from Cubase's Devices, so the better option is all that remains.

More on Steiny and Windows MIDI here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... on-Windows
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

I remember doing this, and I agree. All of the other versions appear under API stacks that are deprecated, or meant for very basic compatibility. Addressing a driver directly under the API's it's meant for means you don't have to deal with translation layer issues, or other possible buffers or buffer mismatches. Directmusic is decidedly NOT low latency...
Joey

Post by Joey »

Well the problem seems to be somewhat different to what I thought.

Firstly, I am using this computer trough a remote desktop connection. And I found out I had to set the audio settings for that connection to "play on remote computer". Now the midi ports are showing up in Cubase.
But that leads me to another question:
What if I want to use the midi ports from a hardware device connected to the Scope computer? To make things easier, I leave the remote desktop connection for now, just working on the computer itself. I am using a Midisport 4x4.
But how can I have those inputs/outputs show up in the scope environment?
garyb

Post by garyb »

they won't.
Scope is not inside the computer, it's inside the card's environment. only the GUI(the control surfaces) is inside the computer.

Scope has a driver for midi. the Midisport has a driver for midi. a driver connects HARDWARE to SOFTWARE(only). a driver cannot connect HARDWARE to HARDWARE. to do that, you need an application(software) in between the two drivers. this could be a midi channel in Cubase, with a midi track that has the Midisport as an input and Scope as an output. it can also work in the other direction(swap input and output on the Cubase midi track). an alternative would be a midi routing application.

why are you monitoring via the Windows audio? that will suck.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thank you Garyb, That's a great idea. will try that. Maybe a midi mapper will also do the trick. The point is, I am trying to set up a midi over LAN system.

I am not monitoring via the Windows audio, that would indeed suck.
garyb

Post by garyb »

most midi-over-lan apps can choose multiple midi drivers.
Joey

Post by Joey »

That's it. I can just choose the Scope midi input as output. Thank you!
valis

Post by valis »

Why not move the midisport to the machine that you're working from and just use Scope's midi i/o?
Joey

Post by Joey »

Because they are quite far away from each other. In fact, now I've got the midi over LAN working, I don't need the midisport anymore.