Downgrading to Scope 5.1

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gabriele

Downgrading to Scope 5.1

Post by Gabriele »

Hi friends, I am new in this forum.
I'm a Pulsar user from '2000 ( I have 3 pci cards Pulsar 1, Pulsar 2 and Pulsar 2 zlink). In the last summer I upgraded from Win xp 32 bit/Scope 4.5 to Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit/Scope 7 using always Cubase 5.
But now I have random click using Cubase..
After I made numerous tweaking on the system and bios the system is more stable now but there are spike/crackle sometimes.
So I would try to install the Scope 5.1 to verify if spike ends.
Can I use the same key file of the Scope 7 to install?
Thank you.
Gabriele
garyb

Re: Downgrading to Scope 5.1

Post by garyb »

no. you cannot.

v7 and Cubase 5 are fine together. i use v7 and Cubase 5 in win10 with zero issues.

what EXACTLY have you done to fix the problem? what are the ASIO modules in your routing window?
Gabriele

Post by Gabriele »

Ok, finally I solved.
In the last 5 months (after the upgrade) I'm in crazied with the most internet tweaking methods (bios, win 7 power, gpu drivers) but ultimally I understood that the issue is provocated by
something inherent the electricity or digital sync. So yesterday I disconnected various electrical cables, some video cable and digital cables from my Daw setup (tascam dm 24,Tascam tmd 4000, Tascam fw1804, Tascam if-tad all connected to the Scope by Adat) and at the end I discovered that AesEbu/Spdif cables ( connected at the inputs of the Tascam Dm24 from various sources) are the cause of the spikes (despite the Scope showed always a perfect digital sync).
Perhaps the use of many digital cables are the cause of electrical redundancy or create an imperfect electrical insulation?
However be very careful to esclude digital connections.
I hope I have been of help to others too.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's almost certainly the sync settings. sync travels from output to input, so if Scope is the sync master and you only have the ASE input cable connected, the AES device will not get clock and you will have pops. if the AES device does not have an input, it would have to be master, and Scope would have to be slave. if the AES device has an input, then it can be set to slave and Scope can be master, however you would need to connect both cables.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I had trouble with crackles in the past. At the end it was the use of a (too) cheap Adat-cable.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

I sometimes have to completely power down things to allow *what seems to be* static electricity buildup to dissapate.

However before looking for woo-woo answers, are you using actual BNC cables or just XLR's? And if SPDIF, are they actual SPDIF or just RCA, and at what length? Our gear is more tolerant to impedance/resistance these days but things are not foolproof...
Gabriele

Post by Gabriele »

The sync between Scope and the peripherals is only by Adat but I use also BNC, Xlr and Rca 75 ohm with max length of 3 meters ( between the other stuff of my studio).
valis

Post by valis »

75 ohm is correct. You'll have to isolate the cables as it seems you've been doing and eliminate those variables before considering the system suspect. Also suggest CAIG Deoxit 100% for cleaning, 5% for conditioning post clean for all electrical contacts, and star pattern (sometimes called octopus pattern) for all power distribution so the endpoints are of equal length. Try to avoid power on different circuits with connected gear that isn't isolated (ground) as well, and check for ground lifts.
melina675

Post by melina675 »

I don't know if the right place to ask this question or not I read your conversation and you guys also mention the cleaning method, I just want to know can I used wd-40 and other alcohol disinfectant spray for cleaning my PC motherboard?
valis

Post by valis »

if you're a legitimate account asking a real question, the answer is always caig Deoxit or 100% isoprobyl (not 50-70%, not 91%), and maybe 100% acetone (from a hardware store, not a nail polish remover with additives) which is also useful for removing thermal compound.

If you're not a legit account, we recommend either an acid bath or just mineral water, the ph balanced kind with added spiritual intentions is really the best kind. :evil: :wink:
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Gabriele wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:37 am Ok, finally I solved.
In the last 5 months (after the upgrade) I'm in crazied with the most internet tweaking methods (bios, win 7 power, gpu drivers) but ultimally I understood that the issue is provocated by
something inherent the electricity or digital sync. So yesterday I disconnected various electrical cables, some video cable and digital cables from my Daw setup (tascam dm 24,Tascam tmd 4000, Tascam fw1804, Tascam if-tad all connected to the Scope by Adat) and at the end I discovered that AesEbu/Spdif cables ( connected at the inputs of the Tascam Dm24 from various sources) are the cause of the spikes (despite the Scope showed always a perfect digital sync).
Perhaps the use of many digital cables are the cause of electrical redundancy or create an imperfect electrical insulation?
However be very careful to esclude digital connections.
I hope I have been of help to others too.
you know what often problems have shown themselves. i blame scope... but its not scope usually. :D