Scope 7 driver BSOD

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ambient Source

Re: Scope 7 driver BSOD

Post by Ambient Source »

Ok I've got ASIO4all and VoiceMeeter potato up and running, and it's all a bit clunky but it sort of works.
I found another multiclient ASIO app called ASIOpro but that gave me a BSOD.
someone suggested i ditch the Xite and get an RME Digiface USB ? I'm not sure about that, I've never tried RME stuff
I'm not really using scope for the Synths anymore, it's just a giant patchbay for my hardware.
garyb

Post by garyb »

RME is really good.

from Ferrari to Lexus....different purposes...

no excuses needed, you know what you need. if you are integrating hardware, then i can't see a reason to ditch Scope. if you are strictly an in-the-box guy, then maybe you don't need Scope.

imho, Scope's real strengths are not synthesizers, although most here would find the synths to be the major advantage. Scope's usefulness is determined by imagination and experience with audio, as opposed to simply "making beats".
valis

Post by valis »

Ambient Source, a few things.

First, just wanted to clarify I wasn't jumping on your case about Xite/Scope vs. anything. Keep & sell what gear you need, that's entirely up to you, which I think GaryB also stated. Informing about the nature of Scope vs. other things is really GaryB's baliwick here, but I chimed in with my understanding to help point out what I have observed on how things seem to be working, so that the workaround I suggested could be understood.

So on that note, again perhaps try this: have Scope loaded with ULLI & Samplerate set, then load these programs via ASIO4all and set to the SAME settings in there, then see if you can switch. For apps that default back to some base setting everytime you change a driver, this will NOT work. For apps that change drivers but keep the settings the SAME, this has always worked for me with Scope. (Ie, set to onboard via ASIO4all, ensure latency & samplerate are set as per scope--also running alongside already but not yet connected via asio--then switch to Scope in the relevant app's panel).

Also, I have not one or two but *THREE* RME soundcards here, plus two Scope boards. That might tell you something as well. :)
dante

Post by dante »

The functionality for a Windows app to change the sample rate and bitrate of XITE is evidenced by the very existence of the Scope Windows app (which doesn't require XITE to behave like a soundcard). So nothing at the XITE level needs to be redesigned for 'a' windows app to control it. Its already happening.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, that's very wrong.
the Scope app is nothing like an ASIO control panel.

Scope is greater than the computer. the computer is the servant, not vice-versa. of course, anyone who finds that stuff easy, can design a Windows app to translate Scope dsp commands into ASIO control panel commands, i'm sure. it's a lot easier for the native programmer to just not require the dsps to comply. there is no functional reason to demand that compliance.
dante

Post by dante »

I agree that most of the Scope app is nothing like a windows control panel - eg the routing window. But the Scope window that controls the sample rate and bit rate is very much like a windows applet. The only way its different is that it cant be invoked as a separate window by a host app
garyb

Post by garyb »

you are thinking about what it looks like. as i said, the main purpose of the Scope app is to act as a gui for you. what and how things are accessed to use the dsps are different than what and how things are accessed in a Windows soundcard. it incredibly stupid to spend time writing code to bypass the Scope app, when there is no reason in the world for that to be required. native coders don't need to write their apps to require that, and it's not that hard for them to bypass it.

if it was as easy as you think, XTC mode in 64bit would have existed for years.

of course, Scope could have been designed like a UAD card from the start, 20 years ago, which might have been better for you, but then it wouldn't be Scope.

the Routing Window is not the Scope app any more than the File Browser, or even the Samplerate Window is.
Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source »

Valis:
try this: have Scope loaded with ULLI & Samplerate set, then load these programs via ASIO4all and set to the SAME settings in there, then see if you can switch. For apps that default back to some base setting everytime you change a driver, this will NOT work. For apps that change drivers but keep the settings the SAME, this has always worked for me with Scope. (Ie, set to onboard via ASIO4all, ensure latency & samplerate are set as per scope--also running alongside already but not yet connected via asio--then switch to Scope in the relevant app's panel).
Hi Valis, I tried this and it caused a BSOD 'Scopexite.sys'

I 'm thinking I need a multi client ASIO interface

As I said before i'm not using scope for synths/effects/mixing/mastering, it's just a patchbay for my hardware.
to route it into my DAW and other apps, i'm no longer using the Xite for the reasons I got it,
I have an i9 in my computer with 64GB an I can run pretty much run multiple instances of any VST.

I currently have all my hardware going going into preamp ADAT boxes with the xite as my only interface,
would the RME Digiface USB and another audio interface do the job I need of routng my hardware?
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

Hi, some applications such as the ones based on libportaudio asio, can generate BSOD with scope asio driver. My simple workaround is to use Reaper's rearoute multiclient asio driver, set scope asio driver inside reaper and set rearoute asio driver from the buggy applications, then route the signal inside reaper as you like (in and out). It works like a charm.
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm you are thinking about what it looks like. as i said, the main purpose of the Scope app is to act as a gui for you. what and how things are accessed to use the dsps are different than what and how things are accessed in a Windows soundcard. it incredibly stupid to spend time writing code to bypass the Scope app, when there is no reason in the world for that to be required. native coders don't need to write their apps to require that, and it's not that hard for them to bypass it.

if it was as easy as you think, XTC mode in 64bit would have existed for years.

of course, Scope could have been designed like a UAD card from the start, 20 years ago, which might have been better for you, but then it wouldn't be Scope.

the Routing Window is not the Scope app any more than the File Browser, or even the Samplerate Window is.
I don't recall suggesting writing code to bypass anything & I don't see why that would be necessary. Like I said, the code already exists to control the Scope sample rate etc. Changing the mechanism for displaying the GUI doesnt imply any change to the way it interacts with and controls the Scope sample rate.

I also don't recall suggesting Scope should be like UAD, although having XTC back would suit me yes. On my now spare PC with the PCI cards, Ill be using Scope the normal way for effects and routing with Cubase.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm ... the code already exists to control the Scope sample rate etc. Changing the mechanism for displaying the GUI doesnt imply any change to the way it interacts with and controls the Scope sample rate.
I never change sample rate when working on the same project,- why should I ?

More important would be changing buffer size on the fly, especially when a project grows and depending on the task at a given time.
dante wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm ... although having XTC back would suit me yes.
There must be a reason it will come back as a separate application like formerly announced ...
WHEN it comes back. :wink:

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 pm
dante wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm ... although having XTC back would suit me yes.
There must be a reason it will come back as a separate application like formerly announced ...
WHEN it comes back. :wink:

:)

Bud
Main reason for me would be to allow a track eg proWave to be stemmed/bounced out to file system without first having to record it to another audio track. I'm stemming tracks out of Reason every couple of days to remix in MixBus, but theres always this one extra step to record proTone and proWave first. XTC would basically streamline this workflow.... assuming it would work like any other virtual instrument in Reason. If that doesn't happen then I probably wouldn't use XTC.
valis

Post by valis »

Ambient Source wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 am Hi Valis, I tried this and it caused a BSOD 'Scopexite.sys'

I 'm thinking I need a multi client ASIO interface

As I said before i'm not using scope for synths/effects/mixing/mastering, it's just a patchbay for my hardware.
to route it into my DAW and other apps, i'm no longer using the Xite for the reasons I got it,
I have an i9 in my computer with 64GB an I can run pretty much run multiple instances of any VST.

I currently have all my hardware going going into preamp ADAT boxes with the xite as my only interface,
would the RME Digiface USB and another audio interface do the job I need of routng my hardware?
RME cards with the "Totalmix" mixer have 2 modes, one where you see a 'mixer' with many suboptions (pages and layered channel i/o's) and then you can simply hit "X" and up pops the 'matrix' which is basically just a patchbay view. Double clicking i/o's enables & disables them. RME cards that have totalmix use a Xylinx FPGA, which is programmed so that when you have a totalmix fader at nominal (no boost/attenuation, and signal passing) there is zero change to the digital information--completely transparent. These cards will also be multi-client ASIO capable, though in many cases you'll need to disable the 'virtual' (totalix) i/o's you want free in another application, and of course it's up to the host app to respect this and release the i/o's it's not assigned to.

So, this may be what you need. A digiface would be fine if you already have Pre's going into ADAT capable boxes for everything. Unless you need more i/o, in which case you'll be looking at a MADI solution (or chaining Digifaces). Note that RME is one of the few companies to get LOWER buffer sizes on USB versus PCIe, which opens up options somewhat.

I would say give this a shot, and then evaluate whether you have a use for your Xite after the fact. Btw I am sorely tempted to reply to your sale offer, my 2001 era Scope hardware is currently blushing out of envy.
Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source »

Thanks to everyone ,who's helped me since 2015, I've sold my Xite now , I still have a pulsar 1 and powersampler card somewhere, but I don't have a PC with PCI slots , so I may sell them here at some point. Using Scope everyday has been an experience, mostly great but often frustrating, but always interesting .

thanks
dante

Post by dante »

Sorry to see you leave the fold. Yes its an issue that PCI cards are running out of homes - that's why I'm holding on to my Asus Z87-C as 3 PCI slots a rarity nowadays.
Last edited by dante on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

I will need to build a replacement system for my aging 2001 duallie this year, I do believe. Or take you up on that Xite offer once I'm ahead on finances again. I just started teaching and we need a new couch, or I would have jumped on Ambient's model now.
dante

Post by dante »

DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

The whole issue is, that the ASIO driver and the Scope Xite system driver are not 64-Bit compatible. The specific call to the ASIo inquire 'number of channels' sends 32 Bit addresses to the sys driver, which fills only 32 bit data into the fields. As long as the app runs in the lower addresses (i.e in 32-Bit space), nothing bad happens. If your app in actually 64-Bit, you can't use Scope ASIO. I installed voicemeeter with Scope ASIO as output and thus blocking other application to open the Scope ASIO. No BSOD anymore.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

DragonSF wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:13 pm The whole issue is, that the ASIO driver and the Scope Xite system driver are not 64-Bit compatible. The specific call to the ASIo inquire 'number of channels' sends 32 Bit addresses to the sys driver, which fills only 32 bit data into the fields. As long as the app runs in the lower addresses (i.e in 32-Bit space), nothing bad happens. If your app in actually 64-Bit, you can't use Scope ASIO. I installed voicemeeter with Scope ASIO as output and thus blocking other application to open the Scope ASIO. No BSOD anymore.
True that.

I forgot to add that VoiceMeeter has a very usable record function like VDAT.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays