PCI master overflow

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: PCI master overflow

Post by garyb »

that could be damned near anything.
it might be that one of the programs is corrupted.
it might be that Windows was corrupted.
it might be hardware damage(any hardware, but the motherboard and HDDs are suspect).
it might be that something in the bios has reset.

try a different slot maybe?
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

catscratch wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:46 am I've been using this new machine with Win10 and Cubase 10 since August with no problems...until last week when a static shock took the system down. It seemed that this crash corrupt Xite start project. CBase started giving me the PCI Master overflow errors on launch. I rebuilt the Xite project (removed then replaced ASIO2 modules) saved the project and restarted both programs. I turned on the humidifier to stop static build up and things have been fine until today.

The humidifier ran dry over night and I didn't notice. I turned things on today and worked for a while then a static shock took the system down... so the same thing happened but I can't resolve it in the same way. Not sure what to try next.

Could it be that the install of one (or both) programs is corrupt? XITe starts fine and the start project is working but as soon as I launch Cubase I get the PCI overflow message and XITE loses clock sample rate. Reloading ASIO in Cubase doesn't help and when I reselect sample rate in XITE, Cubase 'overflows". Not sure what to try. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

CS
DISABLE ALL PERIPHICAL SHARING THE SAME IRQ WITH YOUR PCI EXPRESS BUS IN THE WINDOWS DEVICE MANAGER DISABLE ALSO HYPERTHERDING AND SEE
garyb

Post by garyb »

the problem is not related to this ^^^^
garyb

Post by garyb »

if it's working now, you should be ok.
temporarily scrambled brains...
valis

Post by valis »

catscratch,

First thing I do when suspecting power delivery issues, or a power impact to devices, is to check my voltage readouts under load and at idle. Idle can be checked in BIOS/EFI usually, but under load you'll need something to place the load (your normal workflow is acceptable if it's enough of a load) and something to poll the hwsensors. HWmonitor (pro or non-pro) is one option, I use AIDA-64 a lot these days but it's non-free and there's a lot of other freebies.

Also remember that windows has logs! Right click on Windows menu in Win10 gives Event Viewer as a direct option now, and you'll want to first look under "Custom Views' to see if there's any views that have been automatically prepped (NVMe & PCIe issues often show up here via system-magic), then check Windows Logs > Application & System logs.

Windows has a built in memory test utility now, you can google this one as accessing it in Win10 tends to change every few builds (it's in the classic control panel which is getting more & more buried every build). The most reliable method now is to simply type "windows memory diagnostic" into the start menu/cortana/search bar.

Also if you're having this many issues with grounding and static, make sure your outlets and home are properly grounded. I've also grown fond of periodically touching a table-leg and so on on very dry days (semi-arid here).

Lastly, if this persists, give capactitors a visual check, and if you can surface mount resistors and so on as well. Look for anything that blew in the middle when it comes to diodes & resistors, for IC's and the like you'll check the solder points. This is time consuming and a PITA, but your most likely culprit if all else checks out.
valis

Post by valis »

Glad to hear it.