Flickering meters on a16 ultra

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

endre70

Flickering meters on a16 ultra

Post by endre70 »

Hi.

Got a problem with one of my A16 U. The lights on all channels goes on and off randomly, at the same time. Like it gets a pulse from somewhere. It varies in “level”. Anybody had this issue before?

I will change my he PSU with another one next time in studio. The zlink cables, And also check the recorded signals in the daw. TBC..

Cheers!
Bud Weiser

Re: Flickering meters on a16 ultra

Post by Bud Weiser »

endre70 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 am Hi.

Got a problem with one of my A16 U. The lights on all channels goes on and off randomly, at the same time. Like it gets a pulse from somewhere. It varies in “level”. Anybody had this issue before?

I will change my he PSU with another one next time in studio. The zlink cables, And also check the recorded signals in the daw. TBC..

Cheers!
I don´t have a service manual for the A16 Ultra, but I know from other devices, there are chips controlling the LEDs.
It´s not matter of PSU or cables.
If it´s the PSU, other functionality fails too.
But it can be, it´s a capacitor "on the way" between PSU and LED controller.
As an example, I had that w/ a DBX166 compressor and failing LED level indicator bar,- and at the end of the day, it was a cheap 100kOhms resistor !

:)

Bud
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Thanks for your input Bud!

I do see the same rise in levels in the virtual meters inside my scope 7 software, wouldnt that indicate an actual spike of noise ? Or does the virtual meters in scope 7 just copy the A16U meters?

Endre
garyb

Post by garyb »

sounds like a clock issue. check your settings.
it might also be a bad or badly fitting ADAT cable, or dust in the port.

are you using both in and out cables?
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Hi GaryB

I am only using Zlink on 2 x PulsarII + Luna + expan plate. So no adat.

Z-link locks into place. Could it still be dirt in adat ports?

Endre
astroman

Post by astroman »

The significant detail is ALL channel meters lit up, which is typical for re-syncing the unit.
Unfortunately this can be triggered by hardware and software failures equally, but it points away from the signal section of the box.
at0m

Post by at0m »

One quick way to get (most likely!) exclusion on the sync: switch master/slave relation around. If your DSP cards were previously master and the A16 slaved to Z-Link, try to set the A16 as master and the DSP cards as slave. Or vice versa.
Another thing to try is to swap the 2 Z-Link cables between ports A and B - on one end, then on both ends. If one of the connections or cables is at fault, or even if one of the ports is getting too much jitter, you'll find out.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Thanks atOm and astroman!

Great info to get me started on faultfinding.

Oa couple of details (which I dont know have anything to do with this), but..:

I had this meterissue for awhile. A couple of weeks ago the connecion was lost for my scope system, it was time to reinstall (also a dodgy old sampledisc in there, which I swapped for a 2gb Ssd). I took all hardware out, flashed to new bios, Reinstalled with win 10 (from win 7) on a new ssd disc and after a long time installing software It went pearshaped again. Inn all this instalation I did not connect to the a16u. Cleaned csmos and deleted drivers, and after that it worked again. After taking the PC down to the studio again, i needed to push the bords in and also the stdm cable to get everything working without any hardware notifications. The two pulsars are board 1 and 2, while luna+extension is board 3. Stdm is going from top; bord 2, board 1 and then board 3 (luna). The flickering A16 is hooked up tp the Luna module fyi.

Endre
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, that might be faulty hardware, if it's Z-Link. if i remember, with Z-Link there are not options for syncing. have you tried ADAT instead of Z-Link, just to verify? tried new cables?
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Garyb;

I havent tried the adat option cos it would mean less channels. My bords is Zlink versions (less adat i/o) and Im hooked up to a 40ch desk ++ and need all the i/o’s. But i will try it, just t check if its a z-link problem. Thanks for the tip! I will try other cables as well.
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Ok. Finally back in the studio.

These are the findings:

1) its not the PSU (changed that)
2) not the cables or dust in the ports (sprayed ports and changed cables)
3) the flicker (or led lights surge) starts when I power on the PC (before initalizing hardware)
4) it cant be the luna card/slot cos the flicker is on the same a16 unit, even when connected to one of the other Pulsars (+ point 3)

So the most logical, and correct me if i am wrong, is a) Bud’s suggestion regarding capacitor.

But then again I got SRAM test failed when the unit was connected to the Pulsar (when testing point 4). After a restart and changing back again to the Luna, it started Scooe software without fault.

So question: it might be something else than the led cap, that makes random SRAM faults. I dont know what and what it indicates, not beeing a Scooe/creamware/soniccore/teq person.. So suggestions and explanations is most welcome!!

Cheers!

Endre
Last edited by endre70 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

Caps are a likely issue, all of our Scope gear is nearing that age.
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Thanks Valis!

Hmmm. Ok

But could caps (related for instance to the leds) make SRAM failure as well? Or is this maybe another issue.

What causes SRAM failure? (I have no idea what it really means), and could it in the end f*** up the drivers?

And..would anybody have schematics for the A16U?

Endre
Last edited by endre70 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

valis wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:55 am Caps are a likely issue, all of our Scope gear is nearing that age.
The PCI boards are pretty old, but aside from the capacitors what else can/will go out with age? How long should the ROM with the card's key information/serial hold up? How about that voltage regulator?

Aside from having a very clean power supply inside and outside of the computer what other mitigation measures might one take to treat these old cards gently?

I'm now feeling a little paranoid about my A16U, which I keep nice and cool, but I've never looked inside.
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Peter Drake wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 pm
valis wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:55 am Caps are a likely issue, all of our Scope gear is nearing that age.
I'm now feeling a little paranoid about my A16U, which I keep nice and cool, but I've never looked inside.
I have a lot of old gear (also from that era) that have been fixed by my service tech. I guess it wouldnt be a peoblem to fix. Could also buy another for spare parts. I am more concerned with the boards. But then again; you could get those pretty cheap these days.

I am just a bit tired of always thinking about scope related issues when choosing PC hardware. And of course stuff like this issue. But then again... all audio hardware needs fixing from time to time. Get a tech for a day and it would be good. But it would be much easier with schematics. And surely there is somewhere...
valis

Post by valis »

The issue with Caps occurs because there is oil separating the layers. They're usually constructed a bit like a cinnamon roll, and once the oil starts to dry out the cap's matrix will start to fragment and decompose. They're an easy swap, but many good repair shops may opt to not perform repairs without access to original schematics, so start with GaryB if you think this is an issue for you.

I would think VRM's shouldn't fail in these units, they're not highly amplified, but I don't own one (as of yet) so can't be sure.
valis

Post by valis »

It's also worth noting that it's nice that our gear CAN be repaired. A lot of more recent tech uses surface mount components so small in tandem with glued building materials, and repair isn't simple or even possible at times.
endre70

Post by endre70 »

valis wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:00 pm It's also worth noting that it's nice that our gear CAN be repaired. A lot of more recent tech uses surface mount components so small in tandem with glued building materials, and repair isn't simple or even possible at times.
That is so true!