Help Needed to Find Suitable PC for Scope DSP Card

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kooljohn

Help Needed to Find Suitable PC for Scope DSP Card

Post by kooljohn »

Hi,

I was a faithful Scope user until I had to upgrade my pc and didn't realize the new motherboard doesn't support PCI properly!!!!

I am based in Ireland so can order equipment throughout Europe but haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what PC I need in order to run my DSP card. Also, I'll need to run Win XP on this machine so I can connect my Akai s6000 via Aksys.

Would anyone have an idea of exactly what I would need and, preferably, direct online links to shops/websites that might sell this?

I do miss running my Scope and with the latest upgrades I am eager to get back into that world.

Your help is greatly appreciated :)
garyb

Re: Help Needed to Find Suitable PC for Scope DSP Card

Post by garyb »

the newest motherboards with PCI slots work well. only Socket 1155 motherboards are problematic.
kooljohn

Post by kooljohn »

garyb wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 am the newest motherboards with PCI slots work well. only Socket 1155 motherboards are problematic.
Thanks GaryB.

I am looking to keep costs to a minimum and also run Win XP so forking out on a new pc might be overload for what I need?

I did come across this on Ebay.

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAP ... n=80a00492

Processors: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5420 ( 12M Cache, 1333 Mhz FSB - 8 Cores )

Memory: 16GB DDR2 RAM 667Mhz PC2-5300 ( 8 x 2GB )

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro NVS290 (256MB) PCI-E Dual-Head Graphics (with splitter/interface VGA cable included)

Internal Drive: 500GB SATA II

Network Controller: Embedded gigabit port Broadcom® NetXtreme® 5755 PCI-E

Redundancy: 1 x 650 Watt Power Supply PSU

Optical Drives: DVD- Multiplayer

Expansion Slots 2 PCIe x16 Gen2 Graphics
2 PCIe (x8 mechanically, x4 electrically)
2 PCI

Audio: High Definition Integrated Realtek ALC262 Audio

Storage Controller: Integrated RAID Controller for SATA 3.0 Gb/s
JonJ

Post by JonJ »

Hi kooljohn.

You might want to seek out an HP XW6200. This has 3xPCI slots which are compatible with Scope PCI cards. Found mine on Ebay. Regards.
valis

Post by valis »

kooljohn, that's a 2008 era machine, just FYI. And the Xeons on that run a tad hot, it was the final era for Core2. On the plus side, there's far less to fuss with in terms of EIST and speedstepping/TDP settings. In the Xeon range for thate era the boards scale up to 2 PCI-e 2.0 16X (for gpu's off the northbridge chipset) and 2 PCI-e 2.0 (1x/4x off the southbridge) plus two 66Mhz slots (PCI-64) and up to three PCI-32/33 Mhz slots (which Scope needs). Always be sure to check the keying on the PCI slot too, in the Xeon ranges during that era they don't always support 5v on every slot! That's entirely dependant on board maker.

tl;dnr: I have 2 Supermicro boards from that era here, though I custom built those boxes. :)
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Hi.

I have used this: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/ ... d/X10SLA-F for the last 5 years, rock solid. With Xeon Quad-Core E3-1280v3 3.6GHz 8MB, w/ 32 GB ram (8x4).

Worked(s) like a charm and still powerful enough for heavy projects with loads of VST’s etc.

One person contacted me using the same board, without success. But don’t know his other specs.

Endre