VDAT MIDI CC control anybody? how?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

astroman

Re: VDAT MIDI CC control anybody? how?

Post by astroman »

as written: I only assigned the CCs to VRC-S, all the others are deaf to right-clicks. ;)
But if the Midi input of VRC-S is intended for MTC, then it should comply with the Alesis MTC commands.
Which it didn't in my single command tests - possibly there's a special sequence required to wake it up at all.
(I sent the stuff from VstHost's Sysex window and according to midi monitor they were received in Scope)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:25 am as written: I only assigned the CCs to VRC-S, all the others are deaf to right-clicks. ;)
O.k., so VRC-S allows "right-click" MIDI CC assignment and the other VDAT related devices don´t.
Didn´t know this,- thx.
astroman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:25 am But if the Midi input of VRC-S is intended for MTC, then it should comply with the Alesis MTC commands.
That´s unclear somewhat since the manual page 17 (german and english) only explains how to syncronize ext. devices TO VRC-S.
Means: VRC-S generates MTC and then there´s the option syncing hardware sequencers, ADAT recorders, DAW software on a separate or the same computer.
VRC-S´ MIDI Out is in use then and for ASIO-2 sync the "clk"- out is.

astroman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:25 am Which it didn't in my single command tests - possibly there's a special sequence required to wake it up at all.
(I sent the stuff from VstHost's Sysex window and according to midi monitor they were received in Scope)
Maybe it simply doesn´t work and not many tried.
When the manual tells the device deals w/ MTC, I can imagine it does for MIDI-In too and not only for MIDI-Out.
I don´t own a Alesis ADAT recorder and/or BRC as also not a sync plate, so I´m unable to test that scenario.
But I find this thread informative and the prob very interesting.

Anyway ...

I want a sync plate for my PCI card and hope I can find one next future !

:)

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

Maybe someone has more detailed documentation about the VDAT family Scope devices...

here's the connection scheme of the 9 pin Adat connector by someone who tried to capture the midi communication
(wiring the 9pin to midi in/out, as written in the right column)
ADAT PIN 1 - Ground? ------------NC
ADAT PIN 2 - RXD2? <----------MIDI IN PIN 4
ADAT PIN 3 - +5V TCOUT -----NC
ADAT PIN 4 - +5V 48KHz------NC
ADAT PIN 5 - +5V TXD2------->MIDI OUT PIN 5
ADAT PIN 6 - +5V RXD2?<-------MIDI IN PIN 4
ADAT PIN 7 - NC--------------NC
ADAT PIN 8 - TCOUT-----------NC
ADAT PIN 9 - TXD2------------>MIDI OUT PIN 4
Shield ------------------------MIDI IN/OUT PIN 2

The most critical line is probably the 48khz clock signal on pin 4.
(iirc the technical documentation mentions that Adats can get confused if this is messed/spoilt)
Btw with the BRC connected (it generates this clock signal) I noticed that it shows up in sample rate setting as a sync source for scope (red light). At least a candidate for a switch-on condition...
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

VRC-S accepts CC assignment but VRC-128 doesnt?
and you can do remote play and stop but not record?
I dont understand these limitations. Are by design or are fails?
VDAT lack of midi input is by design, not a fail.

In Scope, devices (except synths and seqs) has midi input only for sending CC messages for assigned controls, like STM mixers. Some fx has CC assignment but no midi input. But you can send midi to them by inserting them in scope fx slots of other devices with midi input.

Also it seems scope accepts external sync and lights the sync red led when detects a valid clock. But we dont know how to put VDAT in slave mode to accept commands. And if VDAT has ADAT sysex implemented or not.

Im afraid you can not remote transport a device wich has no midi sysex.
But, if it has sysex for transport, i think you dont need to be in slave mode to accept midi sysex as they are different things.
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
astroman

Post by astroman »

Of course VDAT has the Alesis sysex and mtc commands implemented - I've operated it perfectly once with a BRC.
The only problem back then was that it lost contact at some point in time.
It's hard to tell if that was due to the physical sync signal or by software handling of the serial protocol.

A VDAT is automatically set into slave mode by the respective control unit, either BRC or VRC.
If communication fails it stays in master mode.
But I'll try the 'insert in an fx slot with midi input' method, forgot about that...
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

problem with fx slots is they are not 8 track...
If you can control an ADAT from a daw then you could control also VDAT
Maybe a daw track with LTC generated code in it, connected to VDAT clkinput and then you can send MMC sysex trough the audio daw track ...
and expect the daw scrambles the sysex in an audio track with time code.
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, the fx slot idea was rubbish - only insert fx allowed (it complained). :oops:
Anyway - by design a VDAT will only respond to commands if in slave mode, to which it only switches if connected to a VRC or a BRC (the latter requires the syncplate).
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Just for curiosity I have tried the DAW approach with no luck. I cant find people slaving adat machines to their daws, so in Reaper i create a asio track with generated smpte code in it and connect it to clk input of VDAT but nothing. I tried LTC and MTC options.

I think that you can have the ADAT being master (of sync) while the DAW is master of transport. Then you press play on the DAW, it transmits to the ADAT and the ADAT starts playing and syncing everything inluding DAW. I think it must be possible to remote transport an ADAT while its master.

Anyway, as it is really old mechanical technology, i dont think is useful today so i give up with VDAT and also ADAT recording.

I still believe a lightpipe ADAT to SDCard automatic little box for 100€ could be possible, i will be looking for open source code.

Please tell me if anybody manages any DAT machine from the DAW, just for curiosity...
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Hi, almost one year has passed since i started this thread. I bought two used fostex adat hd machines 100€ each that worked flawlessly with Scope adat so i could play and record lots of tracks with my band without having to use the mouse.

I could also unplug the hd easily and plug it at my studio, start and play tracks instantly so no data transfer times and waits. But i failed copying files because of the propietary, undocumented filesystem of the fostex, so its no perfect solution.

But for recording my band live i have found its better to go live so we went to a gig in a rock bar and had it 16 track protools ingeniered and recorded for 50€ I downloaded the 5gb next day Then i mixed it in Scope and uploaded to youtube as Hot Rats - Cosmonaut for you to see.

So for me, best unnatended (by me) 16 track recording system is... the protools recorded gig! haha! so thread closed. ADAT machines and VDAT are powerful but really old technology i wont be using anymore. I learned a lot thanks for the help

jpo