STM Mixer’s mono channel levels

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

STM Mixer’s mono channel levels

Post by Music Manic »

Hi guys I’m having a problem understanding the architecture of the STM Mixers.

I believe the mono channels are -3dB when centred. As we know a channel can be selected as mono or stereo. So I created a mono and stereo track and fed a -20dB sine into them from the control room plugin. Unfortunately I find that the mono channel is acting as stereo pre fader and is monoing half the signal after it which creates the -3dB loss due to pan law. If I pan the mono Channel hard left or right it shows up as -20dB as intended but the problem is if I’m feeding a signal from my DAW and pan it centre it will be -3dB lower. This is a great mixer but this should be fixed. The stereo channel acts as normal.

Space F’s V mixers show the signal as -20dB in the mixer channel when it is panned centre, meaning that it’s true mono.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
valis

Re: STM Mixer’s mono channel levels

Post by valis »

Most of those mixers predate the pan law debate, if my memory serves. Ie, there was a time when people just used whatever the app provided, instead of insisting on a given standard's availability. 2 of my 3 main DAW choices have selectable pan laws now, and have since that online debate (-3dB, -3dB compensated & something I forget offhand).

That's not to say that it's not a worthy addition to the SonicCore pile of work, just giving some context here.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

valis wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:48 pm Most of those mixers predate the pan law debate, if my memory serves. Ie, there was a time when people just used whatever the app provided, instead of insisting on a given standard's availability. 2 of my 3 main DAW choices have selectable pan laws now, and have since that online debate (-3dB, -3dB compensated & something I forget offhand).

That's not to say that it's not a worthy addition to the SonicCore pile of work, just giving some context here.
I think pan law is applied but the mono architecture is wrong.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Space-F V82 gives a correct reading but doesn't update changes with the margin reset properly. The V82 returns top doesn;t show correct amplitude. I believe the V82 has a +6dB pan law when summed to mono.