Mono In Place on Mixer

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Mono In Place on Mixer

Post by Music Manic »

I've just realised that the Mono button on the STM 2448 Mixer is a sum to mono device which makes the signal take what's in stereo signal left and right channel and makes them dead centre. Pan law is definitely applied and the signal show one LED less in the Scope mixer which looks like -3dB.

Is there a TRUE MONO device for Scope? So that when U press mono, whatever is in the side signal stays there. Left and right so to speak. This will help with MID/SIDE integrity when mixing a single channel. Do the M/S plugins from DNA and Brainworx behave in that way?

Thanks
garyb

Re: Mono In Place on Mixer

Post by garyb »

true mono would not leave things left and right.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:01 pm true mono would not leave things left and right.
Dual mono would Gary. I realise the mixer sums both channels to mono but there is still a left and right out, which makes it dual mono. True mono would only have a single output.

I’ve realised that the master out and channel out are separate processes. A daw can mono a track but can also keep it LCR before it is summed to true dual or singular mono.
garyb

Post by garyb »

stereo is dual mono. there aren't any middle tracks. mid/side middle is equally in both left and right. everything else is more or less left and right. there is no 3rd track. i'm not sure what the purpose is...
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

The purpose is when i split a track into L/R for separate processing. I can do it in a DAW. The mixer master channel just told me there's a different type of mono process.
garyb

Post by garyb »

oh, that's easy to do with the STM2448. you can use a bus for that. you can use direct outs, too. you need to study hardware mixer design.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 pm oh, that's easy to do with the STM2448. you can use a bus for that. you can use direct outs, too. you need to study hardware mixer design.
Ye thanks Gary. The STM Mono actually gives a realistic "club mono" idea which is very helpful for the final mix. Mono has different implications.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the only time mono is important is in club mixes. that's what the mono button is for, to be sure that a mono mix doesn't exhibit strange behavior(phase anomalies). otherwise, everything that involves panning and left or right is stereo. mono means one channel, period.