A16 Ultra doesn't always get connection to XITE over Z-Link?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

A16 Ultra doesn't always get connection to XITE over Z-Link?

Post by petal »

I recently bought myself a used A16 Ultra. I bought the Creamware version because I want to use the Z-link option and save my ADAT connection to connect to my older PCI cards.

However my A16 Ultra doesn't always get connection to XITE over Z-Link - Sometimes I have to wait 5-10 minutes until a connection is established. I'm thinking that a component has to warm up before the connection can be established, because, once connection has been established, it seems to be stable. Even though I turn off the unit and power it up again, it works every time as long as the unit is still warm.

I have tried to change out the cables both long and short versions, but that makes no difference, so I'm guessing it's a problem inside either my A16 Ultra or God forbid, my XITE.

Has anyone else esperienced this issue and does anyone have a possible solution?

Cheers,
Thomas
Last edited by petal on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
yayajohn

Re: A16 Ultra doesn't always get connection to XITE over Z-L

Post by yayajohn »

I have not had that issue with mine. Have you tried switching master/slave settings to see if it makes a difference?
garyb

Post by garyb »

bad cable?
bad A16?
petal

Post by petal »

Well I don't think it is the cable - I've tried several with same result. I have also tried changing the slave/master configuration, which didn't make a difference. The only thing that seems to work is patience until the unit warms up.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Petal, I have this exact same thing with one of my A16 Ultra's. I have two of them here and the other one starts up immediately and all lights go green straight away when powered on. But the first one I bought takes a while to "warm Up". But there are a few things I have noticed.

First of all, in the last few months the A16U seems to have warmed up much quicker than it used to. For years it would usually take anywhere up to 15 mins, like you seem to be experiencing. But for some reason, now it only takes a couple of mins or even less most of the time. This could just be because I have been using it a bit more regularly recently.

But previously when it did take time to warm up, I found that I could 'help' it along by gently wiggling the power button on the front panel....not really pressing it in as such but more a gentle movement side to side and waiting for a kind of 'click' which then seems to activate the full warm up and the lights go green. I wonder if this could be a dry solder joint somewhere, or possibly a cap that that is charging too slowly. Not really sure and I haven't looked at it because , like you also say, once it is warmed up it works fine, even if you powered off then back on after a short while since it is still warm. I would like to find out what it is causing this but don't want to take my A16U out of the rack as it is a real pain reconnecting the cables back afterwards, and I have other things more in need of sorting out. But if you want more info then let me know and I will be happy to try and help :)

But hope that helps a bit :)

Just to follow up, I am also using Z-Link on both connections, but I am pretty sure I recall this A16U also being slow to warm up when using Toslink I/O, so I dont think that is where the issue is. More llikely as you suggest a component is only warming up slowly.

Cheers
petal

Post by petal »

Hey - Thank you for chiming in!

Sounds like I'll have to work around this issue and hope that someone are able to point at the exact problem and hopefully a fix as well. I can solder, but I wouldn't know where to start if I actually opened the unit, so any insight as to which components might need to be "upgraded" would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
Thomas
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes, it would be great to find out exactly what is causing it. Perhaps one of these days I might be able to find time to take the A16U out of the rack and see if I can find anything. But it is strange why now it only takes a few minutes whereas for a long time it would take over 10 mins to warm up, and nothing I have done to that setup in the last year, so I really cant think what might have happened.

I will keep you posted if I notice any changes, and if you find out anything could you also let me know. Cheers :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sounds like a line lump or PSU issue.

Petal did you get that one from Switzerland?
petal

Post by petal »

Nope - I bought this one from a guy here in Denmark. I actually did notice this problem when I first received it, but didn't think much of it until much later.

I don't think it is the PSU. Once the unit is warm it is stable, also, my XITE does actually recognize a connection on the Z-LINK but a workable connection just isn't established until the A16 has been turned on for 5-15 minutes!?

What is a "line lump"?

@t-tangent: Maybe your "special needs" unit is sitting in a nice warm place now compared to earlier, when you experienced longer "warm up" needs?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for the suggestion Jimmy but I don't think its the PSU here either. I am pretty sure I checked that years ago when I first noticed this issue, but I guess there is no harm checking again, so I will give that another shot when I can, just in case.

Petal, yes it could be that my studio is a little warmer nowadays but not by much if any. But perhaps wiggling the power button has had some positive effect here. I will have a closer look again. But cheers for the ideas. :)
d9d9

Post by d9d9 »

Same here.
my workaround is to not use the powersitch. i just turn it on/off on the main powerstrip.....
petal

Post by petal »

OK - I fail to see what difference that should make, unless the unit is powered on all the time 24/7?
d9d9

Post by d9d9 »

petal wrote:OK - I fail to see what difference that should make, unless the unit is powered on all the time 24/7?
because i think the problem is the powerswitch on the faceplate. if i use it to turn it on/off i have the issue. if use the main electicity switch its working fine. so i think replacing the powerswitch might solve the problem
petal

Post by petal »

I hope that this will do the trick - However, I still have a hard time understanding why this trick would make any difference.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

petal wrote:I hope that this will do the trick - However, I still have a hard time understanding why this trick would make any difference.
Yes I will try this as well, and I am not sure why wiggling the power switch works sometimes. I just know that it does, for me at least. I would like to find out but just cant be arsed to take the unit out the rack when it is working better now here. Perhaps one day when I have more time I will do, and will post what I find. :)

And thanks for the idea d9d9, I will let you know if it does work here when I next try that.
asktoby

Re: A16 Ultra doesn't always get connection to XITE over Z-Link?

Post by asktoby »

Just chiming in here to say I also have an A16U and also need to warm it up before I can use it, 5-15 minutes.
If I launch Scope too soon after cold I either get loud digital noise from the A16U, or lots of rapid crackles. If I let it warm up it works fine all day.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:28 pm Sounds like a line lump or PSU issue.

Petal did you get that one from Switzerland?
Jimmy,- which "line-lump" PSU (for A16U) was that ?
Any link ?

The orig. PSUs are very bulky and heavy and I´d like to buy more lightweight and easier to handle "line-lump" type ones.
Up to now, I´ve found it nearly hopeless finding one w/ the right specs for A16U.

:)

Bud