Modular losing voices.

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

zerocrossing

Modular losing voices.

Post by zerocrossing »

So, I pulled up a preset patch... I forget which one, but I started modifying it. My goal was to create a ProWaveish type synth but with decent voice count. All was going fine. I had a really cool patch with 8 voice poly using the Waldorf oscillator. But, when I came back to it the next day, I started out with the dreaded errors asking me if I wanted to optimize my project, yadda yadda. I kept rolling it back voices after the optimizations failed until I got to a point where my patch which was once running fine 8 voices wouldn't run at all. I finally scrapped it. Sadly not saving it out of anger. Did I do something wrong? Is this a known issue? I know I've had this issue before where I have to pull back voices to get it running as an ASIO device and then move it back up.
JoPo

Re: Modular losing voices.

Post by JoPo »

> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

I can't even seem to create a new project. When I select "New" from the file menu I just get the exact same project I have set as my startup project. It is super frustrating.
garyb

Post by garyb »

"new" is the project that was saved as "default" in livebar\set\projects.
you can just clear everything and start from a blank slate...
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:"new" is the project that was saved as "default" in livebar\set\projects.
you can just clear everything and start from a blank slate...
Oh, I get it. "New" brings up the "Old" project. Makes total sense. :P

So, you're saying to get a truly new project one has to just remove all the devices in a project?
garyb

Post by garyb »

a completely new project?
yes.

"new" brings up the template that either you saved, or the template that is first displayed when Scope is installed.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:a completely new project?
yes.

"new" brings up the template that either you saved, or the template that is first displayed when Scope is installed.
You don't see how this is confusing? I can't think of another piece of software that works in this way. "New" may bring up a blank template, but it's not one that can be edited by the user. That way... it's well, new.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's the way the German engineers thought 18 years ago. it's unlikely that it would be changed. it's also unlikely that the default project is corrupted. if you find that it it, you can make a new one and save it by using the menu i mentioned earlier livebar\set\settings\projects.

for me, this arrangement works fine. i use the "new project" menu item to bring up my custom template that all my projects start out as.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

18 years ago, the German engineers made Creamware soundcard as any computer sound card : when starting the computer, a project had to be loaded to hear sound thru the card. That's why they made a startup project : pci cards load Scope at computer boot and you can make that project and save it with "save project as startup".

You have also the "default" project as the one that is loaded when you choose "new project" command. That's it.

As you have an Xite, maybe you have an another soundcard in your computer to be able to hear any computer sound, such as video, windows sounds, etc...

In my Xite, the default & startup project are saved completly empty and I have a project template with which I always start any new project (then save it with the new project name).. With already placed asio, mixer, midi I/O, analog I/O, etc... etc ...
hubird

Post by hubird »

JoPo wrote:18 years ago, the German engineers made Creamware soundcard as any computer sound card : when starting the computer, a project had to be loaded to hear sound thru the card. That's why they made a startup project : pci cards load Scope at computer boot and you can make that project and save it with "save project as startup".
Yes, although this never worked (doesn't work) on the old OS9 on mac.
Declares the difference between dsp and native I guess, at least on mac :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

That worked pretty well with a pc. But the boot took more time, especially if the startup project is heavy.
I don't use it anymore, I have the MB soundcard for watching videos.. In order to avoid Scope starting with the computer boot, one has to go in msconfig.

My startup project is absolutely empty, so Scope starts very fast and only when I need it.
hubird

Post by hubird »

the same here, empty startup, 6 seconds startuptime, for what's worth.
For me no boot waiting time problem, as I only startup the old mac when Scoping. I could use the startup preference working.

Wish you could chose from a 'File/Recent' list at least :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is a "recent" list.
hubird

Post by hubird »

dumb me.

I was misled :D
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

So ? Did you get back your modular voices, Zero ?

Cut / paste your modular patch file in another folder, load Scope and when it asks for the file, indicate to it where the modular patch file is - or abort to load it, then Scope will load without the modular and you'll just have to drag it on the project window and play again with it like last time...
David

Post by David »

zerocrossing wrote:Oh, I get it. "New" brings up the "Old" project. Makes total sense. :P
Most internet browsers work in the same way. When clicking "new" tab or opening a "new" browser will bring up a stored page. Starting the browser with a blank page is an option that has to be set.
Approximate reading time: 1 minute
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

:P Yes ! You're right !
"New" in Scope is here to create a new project. But like in Excell, when you click on "new", you get an empty new file (but I'm quiet sure that if users want, they can have an already template file with things in it), Scope open the "new project" file. If you want it empty, you can, if you want to create a template, you can.

But to say :
zerocrossing wrote:Oh, I get it. "New" brings up the "Old" project. Makes total sense. :P
makes me feel like you don't want to see the evidence... Maybe you should think "what a software like Scope could do when I click on "new" ? Open what ? Which kind of things there will be on the project window ?"
And the best answer is NOT bringing up an old project, but loading the template the user has created... And if you think it's an old project, it means that you still have a lot lot lot things to learn about Scope !! :lol:

I think you should try to forget your negative prejudices about Scope and try to read manuals and experiment all what Scope allow to do to have an objective idea about what is Scope in an Xite-1 exactly. I think you're far... Do you think that if Scope is so idiot, there would be a such eulogistic community, here ? Or we all are completly idiot too !
You've got an amazing tool, that allow you to do fantastic things, but one needs to learn how to use it, it takes time and more positive attitude or, at least, ojective, not the wish to resell it after 4 months because it looks to not work as you imagined.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

JoPo wrote::P Yes ! You're right !
"New" in Scope is here to create a new project. But like in Excell, when you click on "new", you get an empty new file (but I'm quiet sure that if users want, they can have an already template file with things in it), Scope open the "new project" file. If you want it empty, you can, if you want to create a template, you can.

But to say :
makes me feel like you don't want to see the evidence... Maybe you should think "what a software like Scope could do when I click on "new" ? Open what ? Which kind of things there will be on the project window ?"
And the best answer is NOT bringing up an old project, but loading the template the user has created... And if you think it's an old project, it means that you still have a lot lot lot things to learn about Scope !! :lol:

I think you should try to forget your negative prejudices about Scope and try to read manuals and experiment all what Scope allow to do to have an objective idea about what is Scope in an Xite-1 exactly. I think you're far... Do you think that if Scope is so idiot, there would be a such eulogistic community, here ? Or we all are completly idiot too !
You've got an amazing tool, that allow you to do fantastic things, but one needs to learn how to use it, it takes time and more positive attitude or, at least, ojective, not the wish to resell it after 4 months because it looks to not work as you imagined.
OK, I'll bite. (Gloves off)

What you're describing is fine... As an option. "New" is frankly the wrong word for what it's doing... In German or English. New should bring up a fresh blank project, like every other piece of software I've ever worked in. Under "new" should be something like "Default" which would be a user definable template. Maybe having 3 would be perfect. Default 1, etc. Or just call it "Template 1, 2, etc."

Also... Maybe this is a bug, but I can't seem to change what New brings up no matter how many times I click on that box in the dialog.

As for the "amazing tool" that the XITE-1 is... It's hard to enjoy it when I seem to constantly be bombarded with dialogs that tell me it's out of connections between DSP chips. My 18 SHARC DSP box can't run a simple wavetable synth with more than 2 voices (ProWave). Patches in Modular that would probably register as 12% of my CPU if I made them in Zebra can barely spit out 4 voices, sometimes less. Don't even try to sync the Modular delays to MIDI clock... fail.

But, it is what it is. Judging by what people are dumping these for now, I'm screwed. Stupid me for buying something new without having properly demoing it. There will probably never be a Scope 6, which is probably the only thing that could redeem it. Sad really, because some of the stuff does sound very good. I've resigned myself to use it as a virtual Prophet VS (which it actually does pretty well) and audio interface. Everything else is too frustrating or done better in native plug ins.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

Don't even try to sync the Modular delays to MIDI clock... fail
fail how? it works
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

"new" is your default project, just erase everything and click the save as default in settings. not arguing about your performance issues, but to say something doesn't work just because you haven't learned yet how to do it is a bit silly :)
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/