Problems loosing channels after Rotor SE demo.

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

zerocrossing

Problems loosing channels after Rotor SE demo.

Post by zerocrossing »

I was playing around with the demo of Rotor SE. It seemed to work fine as I could see levels in the mixer, but no sound to my DAW. Replacing it with any other instruments fixed the problem. Then I clicked on the stereo button and I started getting sound out of Rotor, though on one channel. I put it back to stereo and connected it up, but found one of my connections to my asio out was gone! I connected it back up and all was fine, but now I'm having trouble with other instruments being on one channel as well. It only seems to happen on the original channels I was using for Rotor.
garyb

Re: Problems loosing channels after Rotor SE demo.

Post by garyb »

this kind of strange behavior is usually caused by a bad S/TDM cable. do you have more than one card?
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:this kind of strange behavior is usually caused by a bad S/TDM cable. do you have more than one card?
No... Oh wait, I do have a FireWire card installed in that machine. It's always been there and hasn't been used in a long time.

Though, I suspect it's software related because I noticed that again the connection coming from the direct out of the right channel of the pair... Was gone. Again. Putting it back fixed the missing channel bit. Could a bad physical cable cause the software to remove the virtual connection to the ASIO out to my DAW?
garyb

Post by garyb »

multiple Scope cards...

if not, i don't know what is wrong. the behavior is not normal. if it isn't fixed by rerunning the Scope installer, then the card is suspicious. you might try cleaning the contacts with 99% pure(not less!) alcogol or a commercial contact cleaner. you can try reseating the i/o daughter card as well, if it's a 6, 14 or 15 dsp card.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:multiple Scope cards...

if not, i don't know what is wrong. the behavior is not normal. if it isn't fixed by rerunning the Scope installer, then the card is suspicious. you might try cleaning the contacts with 99% pure(not less!) alcogol or a commercial contact cleaner. you can try reseating the i/o daughter card as well, if it's a 6, 14 or 15 dsp card.
That sounds odd to me, considering when I would load up Rotor SE, I'd get no sound. Then I'd load up any other instruments on the same input and get sound. That seems like a software issue, no? Though, in both instances the mixer was showing levels. For now I'm just going to stop using Rotor and see if the issue stops. I was able to get Modular working fine yesterday, once I reconnected the mixer outs.
garyb

Post by garyb »

usually in multiple card systems with a bad S/TDM cable, a big synth like the Rotor might get spanned across both cards, in which case the bad cable would make the strange behavior you mentioned.

are you using a 64bit system and loading a preset that uses a sample? the sample oscs in Zarg synths don't function correctly in 64bit systems.

sure, it could be a software issue, but if it is, it should be solved by overwriting any corrupted files. afaik, there isn't any known bug that should create this behavior.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

OK, I had some more time to mess about with this earlier. First off, I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote "Rotor SE." It was Quantum Wave SE. My mistake. I never got a demo code for Rotor.

Here's what happens. I load up QW and I get the usual barrage of error messages. I click past them and there's QW looking like it's working. I get levels out of it to the mixer but nothing out to my DAW. It's so odd. Then, if I click on the Stereo button on the track, all of the sudden I'm getting audio, but from one channel. My second connection line is now gone (no surprise there) as is the corresponding direct line out of the mixer to my ASIO out. (I reserve mix out for buss effects only... Not sure if there's a better way I should be doing that, but it works) Then, if I switch it back to stereo and reconnect things, it's working fine. I only get 2 voices, but it works. I am running everything in a 64 bit version of Windows 10 and Live 9.
garyb

Post by garyb »

what usual error messages?

is Scope not run "as administrator"?(when starting Scope, right click on the Scope icon and choose "run as administrator" )
dawman

Post by dawman »

Quantum Wave is highly "unoptimized" and can kill a project.
Load up Prodessey and have a blast instead.
garyb

Post by garyb »

true, but that's no reason for the usual barrage of messages.

perhaps they're dsp overload messages?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

This is on an XITE, yes?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, but it is an old device. dsp or pci overflow might happen...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Yeah, just thinking S/TDM can't be an issue.
garyb

Post by garyb »

right. :lol:
actually, he hadn't mentioned the XITE, so i went with what i knew... :lol:

i don't think i've seen that behavior on an XITE before.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

garyb wrote:true, but that's no reason for the usual barrage of messages.

perhaps they're dsp overload messages?
Oh, sorry. It is an XITE-1 and the messages are all about not being able to find some DSP files. The files it's looking for are all there and ultimately it does seem to work.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

dawman wrote:Quantum Wave is highly "unoptimized" and can kill a project.
Load up Prodessey and have a blast instead.
True true. When I get it working it sounds very good but at a 2 voice max... That's ridiculous. Not worth it.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Wasn't there some DSP files you had to load for the Zarg synths? It's been a while for me so I really can't remember.
Also, as he mentioned it's QW-SE not the full blown version so that actually loads a little better on the Xite.
If you are on 64bit OS then you will need these files for Zarg synths.
ftp://sonic-core.net/software/scope5/pl ... ions/Zarg/
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

yayajohn wrote:Wasn't there some DSP files you had to load for the Zarg synths? It's been a while for me so I really can't remember.
Also, as he mentioned it's QW-SE not the full blown version so that actually loads a little better on the Xite.
If you are on 64bit OS then you will need these files for Zarg synths.
ftp://sonic-core.net/software/scope5/pl ... ions/Zarg/
I have those, but where do they go? I put them in what I thought was the correct folders in relation to all the other synths. BTW, I also have ProWave going with no issues.
garyb

Post by garyb »

how about screenshots of the messages?
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

I use the PCI cards so I can't comment on anything xite, but I had a mysterious troubles with various zarg synths, beyond loss of sample playback ability, until I went back to 32 bit windows. PCI and 32 bit works very well.