PULSAR /MAC/VST32/OMS

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lore

Post by lore »

Hello air_pollo ,
i have a mac g3 450 mhz(blu/white) 384 mo ram
ati rage128 ,scsi ultrawide pci card( for 2 segate barracuda hd),pulsar 2,scsi adaptec 2930 for cd-r.
mac os 9.1 (upgraded from 9.04) ,oms 2.3.8.
the main problem is when using vst/32 and pulsar together : while on vst window everything works quite good (it freezes sometimes but after trashing preferences it works again for 2 hours ,with heavy audio editing ,plugs ...) but when i switch to pulsar window in order to adjust some levels on big mixer or tweek a bit some synth ,pulsar freezes constantly leaving a nasty audio loop.
The second problem is oms : i always have to run a new studio set up otherwise my master keybord won't work,unless i'm in the edit window of a midi track.(it did the same with 2.3.7 too)
Third problem :from time to time the computer's keybord stops working,so i have to restart the mac and it works again
VST has 120 mo ram maximum( i tried 170 and 100) pulsar has the required memory.
i hope to have been clear enough ...
thanks for help.
Cheers
Lore
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Ok, to fix OMS, please remove the app and then it's prefs...

Also, VST/32 is known to be a bit buggy.
Are you using a pirated version?

Regarding the keyboard, u can unplug-plugin the USB connector. It should take care of it, I have the same problem with the mouse, it happens once a day.

Please get back to me regarding these steps, and remember, there are many MAC users here.

Good luck.
lore

Post by lore »

HI,
about cubase 5.0 vst/32 it's an original version with cd and serial, before that i had cubase vst 4.1 r2 and it behaved in the same way.
I'll install oms again following your steps.
As for the keybord ,today it didn't happen yet,so when it does i'll follow your trick.
Thanks a lot for trying to help.
Cheers
lore
playah

Post by playah »

Hi,

i have a similar set up Mac G3 400 mhz ( using O.S 9.04)/ cubase 5.1/ pulsar1/Houston/midex8/oms 2.3.8.Im not sure but i think my problem is with OMS.everything works perfectly for about fifteen minutes and then suddenly I lose the ability to input midi.if I unplug the USB connection and then re-connect some midi input capabilities return should I be using oms 2.3.7 or is it my current O.S 9.04 (which is the best O.S for Pulsar1 on G3 450mhz).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: playah on 2002-02-16 06:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: playah on 2002-02-16 06:15 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

What software version of Pulsar are you using? I find that since 3.01 I have to reinstall the cset.ini file once in a while to get everything working. Plus, are you using Pulsar's midi port or an external one? I have found that Pulsar's midi is not great and use a USB one instead. I have not encountered the problems you describe, but here is my system for you to compare:

Mac G4/500MHz, 768Mb PC100 SDRAM, OS9.0.4, Pulsar2+ & PowerSampler cards with v3.01 software, Cubase VST/32 v5.1r1, Midex3 USB midiport, OMS 2.3.8.

I've never had to ditch OMS prefs. Have you checked all the dumb VST stuff like Play in Background, Midi Thru, Midi Out ports etc?

Hope you can sort out your problems soon and make music.

TonyR.
playah

Post by playah »

HiTonyR,
I have never messed with the Cset.ini File maybe you can explain this.I am also using the midex 8 via USB with pulsar version 3.01
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

In 2.04a I never had a problem with the cset.ini, but in 2.01 and 3.01 it seems to often become corrupted. You can find the cset.ini in Pulsar3:app:Bin. When you first install Pulsar you should make a copy of this. Then if Pulsar slows down or crashes just copy the pristine cset.ini into the app:Bin folder, overwriting the old one. Unfortunately to get an original cset.ini you have to reinstall Pulsar.

Also I found making a copy of the cset.ini after I had configured my system (samplerate, background project off , window size etc.) meant that if I have to paste over my old cset.ini I haven't lost all my configurations. As I mentioned I also switch off the Background Project option as this seems to just slow eveything down when I'm exiting Pulsar an frankly just winds me up.

Don't know if the cset.ini thing is your problem but its worth a go.

Regards
TonyR
(hopefully this will be fixed in 3.1!)
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

It's also a good idea to keep backup copies (from a good-working Pulsar/Luna OS) of scope.rgy and dsp.idx (as well as cset.ini) -all of these files can become corrupted and totally mess up Pulsar. This has been a known problem for a long time.
/dave
borg

Post by borg »

i encoutered the same problem regarding the oms setup problem, but opening a cubase song from the finder,rather than opening (a song in) cubase itself does the trick for me.
i hardly have any crashes (i started playing with the STS3000 a week ago and with homebrew samples and heavy processing, i get crashes OFTEN, it is not the case with samples from the BestService CD. maybe it'll solve itself after a bit of sampler study...).
i did a lot of installs the last few months and now it seems i have a system that works for me (maybe because i don't know any better :cool: ) so i guess it's back up time!!!! is this cset.ini file so important? i have partitioned my 9Gb into three parts: one with pulsar v3.01 propack, cubase VST 5.1, OMS 2.3.8, one with internet stuff, general apps., and another pulsar (v2.04) just for the background project, and one only for audio files.
if i upgrade the second pulsar softw. to v3.01, i guess i can use this cset.ini file as back up?

i feel this SCSI 9Gb hd is not going to be sufficient for very long. what is the best solution to upgrade?

right, my system,could be important :roll: :
G3 450Mhz, OS 9.1
512Mb (why do some people use the term 'Mo'?') ram
SCSI-2 9Gb HD (i seem to have two SCSI busses, and one IDE)
ATY Rage 128y, 16Mb ram video card
internal CD-ROM and ZIP100 (ATA)
external USB SpeedTouch modem and USB Lacie CD Recorder
is Disk cache (8160K) important? and what about Backside L2 cache (1Mb)?
pulsarII v3.01 ProPack (7ms ULLI)
cubase 5.1r1
OMS 2.3.8 (what's so different about 2.3.7?)
Creamware A8 convertor
i use the pulsar card for connecting the outside world MIDI wise.
no games on this machine

i followed most of the tips found in this thread and it seemed to do my system good, thanks guys :cool: : http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... =3&start=0

every comment will be really appreciated! best HD upgrade for audio storage and recording? SCSI or IDE, maybe firewire? get another video card? (my color settings say 'millions' now, is it better to lower it? haven't had any trouble so far) about memory assignment: for cubase, i have sugg.size 66557K, Min.size 56557K, Pref.size 66557K, for pulsar3 i have: Sugg., Min. and Pref.size all say 20304K. should i change these settings? i haven't run across something like an app to make 'screenshots', so maybe some wiz could take a look at my extensions and all the rest. what about midi? do i need another way for puking out my midi trash? USB is getting crowdy (keyboard, mouse, CDR, modem), firewire?
i think it' s time to take a rest, i guess. :lol:
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
at0m

Post by at0m »

Hi,
Borg said: i have partitioned my 9Gb into three parts: one with pulsar v3.01 propack, cubase VST 5.1, OMS 2.3.8, one with internet stuff, general apps., and another pulsar (v2.04) just for the background project, and one only for audio files.
if i upgrade the second pulsar softw. to v3.01, i guess i can use this cset.ini file as back up?
I'm not quite sure if that will work, I'm sure that most of if will be ok. But I've checked the cset.ini (I'm on pc, check your own cset.ini).

If found:

[STATICPATH]
Applications=D:Pulsar3AppApplication

and:

[load]
project=-s
Executable=D:Pulsar3Appbin/Pulsar.exe

These could need to be adjusted I suspect. I know very little of mac OS, and haven't experimented with it on pc either, so I cannot confirm anything.
But if it works, you could delete the Devices folders etc. from the Pulsar install folder where you replaced the cset.ini and save lots of disk space. Or just choose not to install them on that second OS.