Broken ADAT port?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bgarlow

Broken ADAT port?

Post by bgarlow »

Hi,

The ADAT in port on my Scope card doesn't seem to work, and I'm hoping someone has some tips on troubleshooting. I have a 15 DSP and a 6 DSP card in my pc, both z-link. When I connect the Scope card to my Presonus FireStudio via ADAT, I get no signal into the Scope card, and the ADAT "LED" in the scope software settings isn't lit up. If I try the same setup, same cables, etc. on the Power Pulsar card, it works fine - I get signal in and the ADAT "LED" in the software is lit up for the Pulsar. The output on the Scope card does work, just not the input.

Do I have a bad ADAT in port, or is there something else I can try? I've never used the ADAT ports before, so if it's broken its been that way for years.

thanks,
Brent
Stompa81

Post by Stompa81 »

Im a very new scope user so my help is going to be pretty minimal. Im also A Optical Fibre technician so I will make a Few suggestions on what i think may be wrong on the physical side of things, and Im not even sure If this appliies to ADAT ports, but I hope this will give you A starting point.

1) Is the TX(transmit) port of Scope ADAT connected to RX(recieve) on your Fire Studio and vice versa??

2) If you can hire one, Get an optical Light meter and take some light readings through your patch cords, im not too sure of ADAT spec. light levels, but im sure you should get a reading between -20 dBm and -40 dBm(mabye even less,in Telco Terms -10 dBm will transmit 25KM along single mode fibre).

3)Fibre patch cords are very easy to break and If you have bent them any more than %30 of their diameter, They will most likely be damaged. Also If they have been stood on they most likely will not work. If you need any Custom length Patch cords just ask me and I can splice some up for you (that goes for any Scope users here :D, this forum is full of "SCOPE ONLY" bonuses so ill add another one :D)

3) I dare say ADAT uses multi mode fibre as opposed to single mode fibre so ensure your patch leads are "multimode".

4) How have you routed this in the scope window ?? A screen shot of this will give the Levitating , fire breathing pulsar overlords a Better picture of what maybe wrong in scope.

I hope mabye even a little bit of this post is useful too u :D
astroman

Re: Broken ADAT port?

Post by astroman »

bgarlow wrote:... If I try the same setup, same cables, etc. on the Power Pulsar card, it works fine - I get signal in and the ADAT "LED" in the software is lit up for the Pulsar. ...
since it's working with another card the cables are ok ;)
the dark side of Adat (receiving) is of course not as easy to check as the bright one (sending), as the latter would fail to emit light (in the most simple case).
there may be dirt inside the connector - there's canned pressurized air for cleaning purpose (the correct way), but since it's weekend just blow into the connector with whatever comes along - don't spit on it though :P
A bicycle pump or a hairdryer (set to non-heating) may be useful.

possibly a small bug might have choosen the hole as a home if it was never connected, hopefully not as a toilet... :D
anyway, if inspection with a looking glass doesn't reveal anything and cleaning fails, any hifi repair service (or anyone familiar with a soldering iron) should be able to replace the torx receiver. If the error happens to be another part of the circuit, then it's probably not worth bothering, as a repair would be rather expensive (relative to the value of the used board).

cheers, Tom
wolf

Re: Broken ADAT port?

Post by wolf »

did you try a completely new project ?
I have it sometimes that adat ports say goodbye like in your description, but this is definitely project dependant here.
toggling master <-> slave setting might also be an option to check for.