Problems Installing on OS 9

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jordan Vesteyo

Problems Installing on OS 9

Post by Jordan Vesteyo »

Hi, guys, having a little problem installing Scope 4.0/4.5 on OS 9, I am pretty adept with OS X but this has been not so fun. Con fig is G$ 466 OS 9.2.2. I tried first with 9.1 upgraded to 9.2.2, no joy. Then I re stored from the original G4 imstall cds, ran the updates for the os. All is updated. I was wonder ing if there is some triacks installing on OS 9. I have installed several times on XP with relatively no problem but this is bafling me.

Error message "The document 'Scope Fusion Platform Installer' could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. "
"coulld not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"

I unpacked the ZIP file with Stuffit 7.0,3 for OS 9. Strangely enough the install icon does not display. I have also tried to unpack it on my G5 and the installer still does not work, same error.

Is there some extension that needs to be activated? This is odd. I also don't have my install cd for MAC 3.1c. The install directions on Creamwares site are slim at best.

Do I need to install any third party stuff to fix the install problem, unpack the zip in a specific folder? This is driving me a little crazy.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in Advaance

Jordan

System config:
G4 466/OS 9,2,2,
1GB Ram
120GB HD
2 Pulsar II cards
the cards reside in slot 3 and 4
astroman

Re: Problems Installing on OS 9

Post by astroman »

Jordan Vesteyo wrote:...Error message "The document 'Scope Fusion Platform Installer' could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. "
"coulld not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"...
the reason for the message is the format of the archive, which either 'left out' a certain part of the original file or there are erroneous values in it.
In the original Mac OS a file (you see on the desktop or in a folder) is actually 2 physical files, one is named 'data fork', the other one 'resource fork'.
The latter contains the information what kind of file it is and which programm is associated in 2 fields named 'type' and 'creator'.
If the installer file, which most likely is a program, lost this information, then the Mac Finder treats it as a 'document' and tries to lookup the respective program, which fails because the other value is also empty.
Hence the nonsense message that 'a program cannot be found'.

You might try to set the file type of the installer to 'APPL', then it will get the standard application icon the the Finder will launch it.
This can be done with the ResEdit utility, but if you've never heard or read from the afformentioned it might be quite confusing (though it's actually rather simple)

Afaik most of CWA's installation is pathname/text-based which is not Mac typical and would possibly succeed even with missing resource information.

On the other hand you really don't need to 'install' anything on a Mac, as no system files are altered - it just moves certain files to certain directories.
There are one or 2 system extensions that have to be moved to the extension folder, the rest is the SFP directory structure (afaik)

where did you get the archive from ?
the resource information is frequently lost in internet transmission or if you copy a Mac CD to a file server and back.
You may have noticed the invisible '.same name' files under OSX if you copied some old Mac CDs - those files are the resource parts.
It IS confusing - and honestly the bandwidth of mess is varying a lot when dealing with 'classic' and new Mac file system - I'm dealing (or better try to handle it...) for a publishing company ;)

for a network connection (and some file operations) between Mac OS9 and Mac OSX you absolutely NEED the version 9.2 or better the 9.2.2 update.
Anything below that version number LOOKS identical, but has some technically fundamental differences, which often break 'older' software.
SFP should run with 9.2.2 though, at least I think I've read that.
But the OS9 installer is a piece of crap anyway - don't get nervous, we'll sort this out - it's not the first time... ;)

cheers, Tom
Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo »

Tom,

Ok, a little gain, earlier today I had seen the same error as I just recieved, I'll explain.

I Poked around the Creamware site, and thought I had made great headway when I found the page that refered to expanding the scope 4.0 .sit to an empty folder, only problem is that the .sit download no longer exists and is now a .zip on the Creamware FTP. I am starting to suspect perhaps something with the translation to a zip file that is jacking things up. I had performed a clean install of os 9.1 just to make sure it wasn't 9.2.2 that was the problem.

When I un-packed the 4.5 .zip for mac to the empty folder Stuffit moved file by file. Now the Installer will launch but now I also have a batch of new errors now on each and every file there is varous errors. One concerning PepModule, "cannont read script file 'PepModule'", next is "Cannot find DLL or script Class 'PepModule' file " . same error again after but with Class 'PepDisplayObject' File " . This continues for it looks like every file. I do consider this a little bit of gain since the installer launches and gets some things rolling.

This same thing happened earlier with 9.2.2.

Thanks again

Jordan
hubird

Post by hubird »

replied to your pm :-) just regular file location stuff :-)
Tom is hard to beat concerning mac related stuff :-)
Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo »

Thank you for your reply, I did get the 3.1c to install, but the devices don't show up, the installer did it's think, it launches, ok the alkeys went in, like the PC installer but the devices don't show up. It launches OK, I just tried replacing the APP folder with the 4.0 one and the installer is 3.1 installer working ... hmm, I will keep replacing the folders one by one..... I think it is something with the .ZIP vs .SIT JAckin' things up.

I'll keep you posted

Jordan