Help! Music sounds better with noise?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

G-N9NE

Post by G-N9NE »

Seems like my pulsar II card just got an idea of it's own to remix al the songs I record in cubase sx with some very nice and impressive white noise.

I searched the forums here and found an almost identical situation.
But in my case my pc is working perfectly (and nothing exploded :smile: )and the noise is only there when I record in cubase, not when I play it back. So it must be the asio dest that's causing the problem?

I just want to know if anyone had this same problem before and how he got rid of it? I could follow the solutions in that other topic but I'm not to keen on screwing open my pc and start cleaning it. So hopefully there 's another solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance
mvg

ps: I don't have internet at home atm, so it could take a while for me to respond.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G-N9NE on 2003-08-29 05:34 ]</font>
arela

Post by arela »

Have you tried different sources?
If you play guitar via an amp and into your card, and you get this noise. It could be the amp or bad cabels (grounding /electric noise) If so, try to record from, let's say your stereo receiver........still got noise?
garyb

Post by garyb »

post a sample of the noise.......(it might help)
G-N9NE

Post by G-N9NE »

The downloadable file has LOUD static so put your volume to a minimum!!!

http://users.pandora.be/G-N9NE/rec.mp3

@ Arela

The problem only occurs in SX and when I record. Never when I play an instrument will I hear static, and not even when I play it back. If I record sounds in let's say Sound Forge: I don't get any static. Only when I record a song, a synth, or anything true cubase sx: then I get the loudest static you could possibly dream of :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G-N9NE on 2003-09-01 08:36 ]</font>
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I'm afraid I couldn't hear anything. But I'm wondering if you are using the correct bit and sample rates..
Just a thought
R
arela

Post by arela »

Have you run ASIO multimedia setup?
Is Buffers and sync ok?
ps: i don't understand that thimg, because on my pc, only 44,1 KHz and 1 in/out is working, but in Cubase i run a lot of in/out and even 96KHz. Mine has sync pref on output.
Maybe you could reinstall SX.
Could ther be something in XP causing this?
.....:smile: hope solution is close :smile:.....
G-N9NE

Post by G-N9NE »

@ Ricardo

It was a good idea but I checked and sfp and cubase are both running in the same samplerate. So that's not the problem :sad:

@ Arela

Buffers and sync are both ok :smile: But I thought you didn't need to do that since you work with Asio Scope instead of Asio Multimedia...? I could be wrong.
I can't reinstall cubase sx atm. Too much work and I'm currently in a project and have little time left :s
But as soon as it is over I'm going to have myself a nice little format :wink:
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

I had this problem. Nuendo corrupted itself. A re-install fixed it.

I have dual boot for this type of thing. I was able to continue work on the same project on the other install until i found time to fix it.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

If the static/white noise is not being recorded to SX we can assume that it is not SX or the ASIO Dest module. It would seem more to be a monitoring problem but not so because playback is OK ( I assume through Pulsar II). So PII must be OK. I would guess that it is to do with the way your computer is transferring audio during record, or your input source eg analog/ADAT. If I were you I'd set the whole thing up from scratch, including external hardware, and check it bit by bit as you go until you find the offending item. Also follow the tweaks for audio described in Tips'n'tricks. I don't know if this helps but not being a tech head myself I'm just trying to rationalise the problem.
All the best
G-N9NE

Post by G-N9NE »

Hi,

sorry for the long delay. But I still wanted to tell you what the problem was. It seems that my oldest hard drive was indeed getting to old and was starting to fail. I didn't notice but a friend of mine run some test on it, showed me a lot of numbers and concluded: bad drive.

Now I've got a new one and the noise has completly gone :smile:

Thanks all for the help
TRMP8R

Post by TRMP8R »

Bad disk eh?

Wow, you may have just stumbled on the next greatest 1:1 analog modelling plugin for SFP: 2" Analogue Tape, including a wheel that can go from 'clean and shiny' to 'rusty and noisy'.

Does your drive model Dolby NR too?