dsp emulation

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

cannonball

Post by cannonball »

hi

vinco is a emulation
pro one emulation
transient designer emulation ?
minimax is a emulation
b2003 emulation

what kind of others emulation we can have
in sfp

maybe LA2A pulteq wavesL2 lexicondelay
electric piano splvitalizer....

is possible?what you think?

long life creamware

cannonball
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Maybe ultimate goal for developers would be to decently emulate grand piano...
Michu

Post by Michu »

first, i am not sure if Transient Designer is emulation as it was prepared by SPL, so i would rather take it as real thing (is is hardware TD fully analog?).
also L2 and Lexicon FX are digital devices, so they could be recreated 1:1 as long as you would know algorithms inside them. Of course owners of algorithms would not be happy then, probably :wink:
what kind of others emulation we can have in sfp
probably anything that CW could sell in decent amount for decent price :wink:

seriously tho' i think L2A2 or Pultec EQ (or any analog circuitry) would be possible, there are emulations available already for example for UAD card, don't think it would require anything more than Vinco...
as for physical models like electric pianos or grand pianos, this could be harder, we all know problems with devices that use larger number of delays...
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I think an E-piano of some sorts was all but confirmed by CW.
It would be the logical things to do, especially for NOAH. If they have a Hammond in there, and a minimoog, you have got to have decent E-Piano as well of course :smile:

I hope CW's next synth will be something new, and not an emulation of something old. (I wouldn't mind if it was an emulation though, not if it come with the quality of the Pro One and Minimax)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2003-07-15 11:12 ]</font>
scary808

Post by scary808 »

An Epiano, & Clav would be great instruments. Also LA2A, Fairchild, would be cool as well. Other things I think they could give a stab at could be mic modelling, preamp tone modeling, distortion, & flat out tube warmth modelling. The tube thing they've already made seems to be more for distortion purposes.
thermos

Post by thermos »

guitar stuff: vox, fender amps and stompboxes.
bosone

Post by bosone »

ehi! about guitar i don't want only fenders and vox... i want a mesa boogie triple rectifier who will crash my windows with its distortions!!! :smile:
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

And we have another heavy metal guy here :grin:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

but a bit of steer towards bands like with an ep emulation, and the guitar stuff, would be breat cuz there's not too much focus on "band" people with the current line up.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Maybe an emulation of Roland's JV-series :grin:
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

On 2003-07-17 03:16, bosone wrote:
ehi! about guitar i don't want only fenders and vox... i want a mesa boogie triple rectifier who will crash my windows with its distortions!!! :smile:
I agree, though I don't think there will EVER be a 1:1 Mesa Boogie emulation. There's some kind of voodoo magic in those circuits that I think DSPs are incapable of matching, no matter how sophisticated. However, the Recto-Recording Pre seems really cool.

And while we're on the topic, what's up with Mesa's anal fixation? All this Recto stuff gets me laughed at by my non-initiated friends. Of course just turning the dial to 6 and hitting a bar chords leaves them weeping on the floor in agony, bleeding from the ears. ...but still! :smile:

What I'd really like to see emulated, aside from an e-piano of several flavors, is some classic plate and spring reverbs. I know there are settings to this effect in MasterVerbs and the PT series has good models, but I'd really like someone to slap together a plate reverb emulator that takes up a whole Pulsar II. Now that would be something to set the CW platform above everything else.

Sure you'd have to have lots of DSPs but throwing a mixdown through a well modeled plate reverb (that doesn't sound like some subterranean bowl of soup) would be unreal. Having the real plate in some basement would be so damn expensive that to be able to throw it on a $1500 card (or whatever they cost these days) would get those cards flying off the shelf.

Or maybe have the plate model as a part of a Room Simulator like Samplitude has.

That and some surround sound FX (delays, filters, -again- reverbs, etc.).

Is that too much to ask?

Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dehuszar on 2003-07-18 11:52 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

Lot's of good ideas for great devices :grin:
The 'sophisticated ePiano' has been mentioned in a CW press statement in German Keyboards mag, so it can be considered as really existent.

cheers, Tom
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

hi

just an answer from
creamware about this topic
for explain what is possible
make with their technology

cannonball
TRMP8R

Post by TRMP8R »

I agree totally with dehuszar.

Here's my wish-list for new SFP and NOAH models:

1) A true modelled PLATE reverb
2) Pultec or Oxford EQ
3) E|Piano (Rhodes, Wurli, Clavier)
4) Multiband Distortion
5) Amps|Cabinets (done to death I know)
6) Reed instruments (Oboe, Sax)
7) Harp (a variation on 6-String?)
:cool: Microphone & Tube modelling

And most of all (if dreams are free)...

A complete internal automation engine for the SFP platform (with external LTC/MTC chasing).
jabney

Post by jabney »

What's all this about a Pultec emulation? How about supporting Celmo who has had the Pultecator available for a long time. The price is dirt cheap (maybe that's a problem for some people), it's available right here, and the results - well, I try not to use the Pultecator on everything because it almost feels like cheating. Yes, I think it sounds that good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jabney on 2003-07-30 21:14 ]</font>
thermos

Post by thermos »

i think the multiband distortion from steinberg is dev by craig anderton, thi is the same guy who did that great reviw of sfp(ended up buying the card). so maybe he could port his multiband dist plug to sfp.
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

I would like to see guitar amp simulation - with a focus on quality over quantity. There are so many guitar amp modeling devices out that can model 10 or 20 amps - but all with mediocre results. I would rather see one very, very good model that blows everything else away that is currenly available.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

I would rather see one very, very good model that blows everything else away that is currenly available.
Who is to decide, which one blows..? Mediocre to you may be just perfect for somebody and vice versa. And what kind of it should be? Too many types to choose from.
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

Yes there are a lot of amps - but you could say the same thing about synths. There are many great synths in history to model, but you choose one and really do it good (e.g., Minimax) and you can get something that's worth talking about. Of course, the more the better always - as long as the quality of all the emulations are on the same level as something like Minimax. My only point is to not let the quality of the emulation suffer just so you can claim that a device models 100 different types of amps.

There are a lot of amp simulators available. The only way to stand out is to do an emulation better than it has ever been done before (again, like the Minimax has accomplished IMO).
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Point taken.
Do only one emulation perfectly first and them add more emulations later, with top quality.

Let's begin with Mesa boogie rectifier :smile: