mandible [super lo-fi test remix]

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: Drum & Bass<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar Effects,Pulsar Synths<BR> copyleft © algorhythm<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> I liked kensuguro's idea - post *before* you mix and master something so that you can fix stuff after criticisms and suggestions.

lo-fi breaks, dirty samples, deep bass, 170 bpm - you get the idea :wink:

it is 7:20 - kinda incoherent, but maybe it has some logic, I dunno
At any rate here is a piece for comment -

props out to D Massa for some xtra programming on this one. My first collaboration. I programmed the breaks, synths, basses, and such - he helped on the voice mangling, distorted feedback, and arrangement

lemme know what u think . . .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2002-11-07 01:33 ]</font>
borg

Post by borg »

i must have passed a morpholigical field or whatever when going to my bed. something made me check planetZ again before going to sleep...

and behold, a new algorhythm track, and a great one it is again. only had a chance to listen to this one once... it's four in the morning here, and i have to get up at ten... gotta go :smile:
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
CHICK

Post by CHICK »

hi algorythm what a pleasure to listen to your track i like it, i love drumnbass.
i think borg is very happy because you have put the all track :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
You just need something to put your bass deeper, and mix it for listening more the break (but that's my opinion :wink: )
Very good job.
There is not many jungle tracks on planetz and that one is one of the great.
A jungle drumnbass lover :smile:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

CHICK wrote:
you have put the all track :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
What do you mean? I understand that English is not your native language, but I cannot understand. Sorry.
You just need something to put your bass deeper, and mix it for listening more the break
how can the bass be deeper? I can't even hear it on my shitty computer speakers - it is 80hz and below! by "listening more the break" do you mean make the drums louder?

Everything will be louder after it is mastered - this is clean straight outta a sequencer - I haven't mixed/mastered yet - please clarify so I can fix for the final mix . ..

thanks chick and borg - the only folks into this hard stuff @ planetz - my buddies
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

They're not the only ones! I've been a Jungle/Drum and Bass fan for a long time now. I've just invested in a Pulsar SRB to go with my Luna II and hope to be uploading some Drum and Bass madness very soon as I get to know my DSPs better!

Really impressed by your tune. I'm not mad keen on .mp3 compression for Jungle, as it spoils it a bit, so it's difficult to tell exactly what it will sound like uncompressed. Looking forward to your final version. I guess the only thing you need to add is a bit of space in the mix (but again that might well be the compression).

I like it when the drums go a bit more crazy near the end. I think you could make more of this and maybe use it for a build-up earlier on.

Anyway, keep it up,
Will
garyb

Post by garyb »

ants.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

eh?
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

this is Niiiiiiiice!
It has that Throbbing Gristle - Chris and Cosey thing going on.

I believe CHICK would probably like you to double your bass an octave down(?).

Dis is da drum :smile:
Are we listening?..
at0m

Post by at0m »

algo, you're definitely my favorite artist on the planetz :wink:

Paul, you surprised me again :wink:

I'm into that kinda stuff, me myself wanna do minimal/industrial based music. Anyone from Detroit around? :wink: I like their ol' school best. Not that much into breakz, but I'm sure ie. your 'Evil' could make me freak on the dancefloor. So could this one.

Great job, algo!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-03-23 06:30 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

ants have mandibles.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I take back what I wrote about doubling the bass. I found it was a stupid suggestion after listening to it through my son's BOOMing system. The bass drum might be a little more round and punchy, maybe?
Are we listening?..
braincell

Post by braincell »

The best post I have heard so far. I haven't listened to many of them but I'm sure this might be the best. This is more original than most of the Drum&Bass I've heard. I hear a lot of industrial and other influences.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

thanks all for your overwhelmingly positive comments.

i am gonna finish this one soon cuz school will be over, so I am seeking some final feedback on this before I finish it.

thx - U all R great!
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

Bad ass ! Makes me want to be in a dirty smoky sweat filled dance floor jungle bunnying around like the old days ! Apart from that, I have no good suggestions about mixing...sounds pretty good already !
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

makes me wanna go out and shoot somebody.. Makes me think... first person shooter. Can't really judge the mix since I'm listening on some cheapo speakers, seems ok to me tho.
Kamurah

Post by Kamurah »

Great piece. I love how you tied in the "Jaws" elements into the sound of it. Good work.

Here are my (humble) suggestions:

1. Suggestion: Drums need to be louder and punchier, with some separation from the rest of the mix. I think even though you have some great textures going on...it is really the drums that are the main focus of the piece. I don't know what kind of compression you are using on them, but I think this tune would benefit from some "pump" on the compressor to beef up the sound of the hits.

2. Suggestion: Also the EQ on the drums.....sounds like there is a rolloff of bass frequency...that is later compensated by the DEEP sine type bass. They could stand to be a little fuller. Don't take out so much between say 300 and 60 hz. I don't think the frequencies will step over the bass, and overall the sound will be more expansive. Also sounds like you have a lot going on in the 1-2k range.

3. Suggestion: Put a limiter on the track. Overall level is somewhat low (even for a pre-master).

I really liked the feel and overall tonality. Very dark and menacing.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

ken - i am not sure that I understand your comment, or that I am even supposed to be able to :lol:

Kamurah - you got the "jaws" part? hehe - some samples from the john williams orchestral piece [shhh!]
jaws=mandible . . .

Two questions: my k' of engineer stuff is weak; how do I "separate" the drums when they take up the whole frequency spectrum? And how do I make the drums "pump" with a compressor?

thanks for the suggestions; those are the sorts of things I expected to hear (and needed to hear!). Thank you

A partial explanation - I made a lot of the drum loops for the track *a long* time ago in fruity loops and have since lost the original samples/fruity files (I am now better organized!). What this means is that I cannot do too much with the drum loops, except EQ and compression - so, to compensate - I squeezed the kick out of the loops, and added a separate kick loop - I think I just need to make this kick more substantial, especially when the sub bass is not on.

Thanks for the detailed comments. Yes the bass is DEEP! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2002-05-02 19:14 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2002-05-02 19:12 ]</font>
Kamurah

Post by Kamurah »

Ok. Here is what I would do....

1st: Re-EQ the drums so that there isn't such a rolloff of the lower frequencies...I think it will be ok because there is little chance of the kick in your loop being as deep as the bass....

2nc: Compression and "pumping"...I haven't had a chance to experiment with the Pulsar compressors so I don't have exact settings to give you....however by increasing the compression ratio...say at least 8:1 type of ratio and adjusting the attack and release times you can get an audible effect as the compressor clinches down on the signal....vary the release and you will hear (and feel) a "pumping" or "breathing" character. (I usually set threshold settings at about -10 or so, but you can experiment)

Then just crank the output.

If you have a second loop doing a supplemental kick, then you can compress this loop differently (without the pump) to add a stabilized "ummph" to the loop.

Trust me....it will add a wicked edge to the drums....and this will help to give the separation from the ambient elements.

If you want....email me a couple of short (like 5-10 sec) series of snippits. One just the drums, and one with just the ambient textures....I'll whip up a setting for you and let you hear it.

No pressure....I just REALLY like the mixing / engineering aspect of recording, and am happy to share my meager knowledge with anyone who will listen or is interested.

kamurah@hotmail.com

Cheers
caleb

Post by caleb »

Hey Kamurah. Want to mix my stuff then?

Sorry - bit of a joke. :grin:
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.