New DAW installation, need help on the order of setting ever

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Valium

Post by Valium »

Hi all, well finally my new CPU and mobo arrived, but I need some help sorting things out.

The new system will be:
asus TUSL2-C
PIII Tualatin 1.4GHZ
512 MB SD RAM 133 Mhz
HD 40 GB ATA 100
Advansys SCSI card with Plextor CD writer and Plextor CD-rom
Matrox G550 with 2 19" monitors
Pulsar I
Luna II
Cubase VST 32 5.1
Rebirth 2.01
Protools Free
Fruityloops
AMT 8 midi interface

1. After installing cpu and mobo, I formatted my HD, made two partitions, one for OS/Apps and one for audio. Clean install of Win 98 SE and applied all the tweaks
2.Installed latest chipset drivers and utilities.
3. Installed Microsoft Direct X 8.1 Dutch
4. Intel Application Accelerator

And now the confusion begins:

What drivers should I install first?
Luna, Pulsar, Matrox, keyboard or mouse (logitech cordless) .....

Or should I install Audio apps first?

I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong by installing in the wrong order. Since this is going to be my 'paycheck' for the next couple of months I want it to get up and running as smooth as possible an as stable as possible. Once the installation is finished I'll make a drive image of the OS/Apps partition on the larger audio partition so I can go back to it, just in case. Can someone plz advise me on how to install the rest of the needed software, and maybe even point out the 'weak' points in my new DAW (hardware or software doesn't matter). I would be gratefull and I hope I can enjoy my system as much as the rest of you do.

And something else, maybe I should post this again in the problem solving area but hey, I'll try right here for now. The pulsar I card I recently bought from a canadian guy, it came with a lot of plugins, synths, etc. It also came with his login and password to the creamware pages. But I'd like to re-register the whole package including the card to my name of course ... If anybody can help me with this I would appreciate it, thx

Greetz and thx in advance everyone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valium on 2002-03-13 16:47 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valium on 2002-03-13 18:30 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

About the confusion part:
Reboot every time your system asks for it.
Do the soundcard and video drivers first.
Then the Creamware OS, your sound applications might need them. I leave Background Project on during install of Cubase, Fruity etc.
I made all temp folders on a different drive, to avoid fragmentation.

I recently did the same as you're doing now -making a 'Master Installation'. I had been running the hardware in many different setups and found my last 'essay' very stabile. In fact, only stability was my motivation during the whole setup. I got to know a lot during various experiments, and I knew the limits and possibilities of the system.

Mail me for more info, I live just around the corner :wink:

Or check out the tech forum, where DeFex and others give hints for specific about C/TUSL2. But I guess you already did that :smile:

Good luck,

atomic.

PS: A card-with-it's-plugins re-registration is very easy, I think if the selling party mails CW, the buyer will get the whole load under his account on CW. If you don't have one yet, CW will mail you to give you one.
Funny: When I first registered at CW's, I used my dad's mail. Ever since, I have to login with his name :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2002-03-13 19:12 ]</font>
Valium

Post by Valium »

Bedankt voor de tips Atomic;;
back to english
I did check out as much topics related to tusl2-c as I could find and hardware setup is no problem at all. On the intel site I found the right order to install de mobo drivers and all that stuff but the rest was left out blank but I guess that's shouldn't be a problem now. Btw I'm going over to Keymusic this afternoon (get a new STDM cable and other stuff) need anything :wink: :wink:

Greetz