Upgrading PCSystem useless because of pci-capacity specifica

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

milupin

Post by milupin »

hi all,

I get more often now the message: pci-capacity limit reached (I now want to record 14 asio-channels at same time); somewhere I read that upgrading my system from PIII700 to PIV 2 Ghz wouldn´t help because of the restricted pci-specifications. Is that true ?

In this respect the idea of steinberg with the vst-link would be really cool, not because of continue using all the pcs and laptops, but because only with the vst-link it would be possible to setup an live-capable pc-based audio-recording-station. What are your ideas ?

thanks in advance

thilowski
garyb

Post by garyb »

depends on your mobo.
milupin

Post by milupin »

hello garyb,

my mobo is a asus cubx with intel 440bx chipset
Micha

Post by Micha »

Yes, true. And BX is one of the best chipsets for PCI. I think Steinbergs idea is ok for the moment.
And I don't see a new bus coming soon. Some boards have 64 bit PCI, but that's not it for our Pulsars etc. With RAM is about the same ridiculous situation, ratios from best case 5:1 upwards.
So we continue to pay our performance step by step. With a new mobo+proc+ram you win more power for your sequencer. So ASIO has more power to avoid clicks etc. That's nice. But adding a reverb or a sampler, well, we have to wait for this.
Happy pulsaring
Micha
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

There are reports i850 has 'PCI issues' but this is not the case for our use - it performs 95% the same as i815, that is to say roughly 8-10 masterVerbs on i850, and absolutely way, way beyond any AMD-supporting chipsets.
milupin

Post by milupin »

thanks all for your interesting replies; I can summarize what we have said this way:

A Computerbased Recording Station to record about 5 to 10 StereoChannels at the same time in a live-situation is - for the moment - not realizable, because of the restricted pci-specifications, which means in consequence:

1. Try out Steinbergs Vst-Link or
2. Buy a standalone harddiskrecorder or
3. Do your recording with DAT.

What of the above mentioned ways to record a live gig would you prefer ?

Again: thanks.

Thilowski
garyb

Post by garyb »

better asio=succesful live recording.upgrade when comfortably able to. i have been able to record 16 live tracks even with a via chipset i would think you could with the bx chipset.you're not trying to run verbs and delays at the same time are you?if you need them for inspiring a vocalist,why not use a hardware verb for that?
milupin

Post by milupin »

this forum is really great...

hello garyb,

O.K. this is a good hint: I´m running the PulsarLuna System at a DSP-Load of about 85 percent; do you think this is too much ? But for this setup I need at least 80 percent ? Does that mean that upgrading my dsp-boards will solve the problem of the pci-bandwidth ? Can´t be, cause more dsp-processing would mean also more pci-workload, I´m right ?!

Where is the solution ?

Can´t find it...