max temp for Pulsar

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Hi,
In the proces of silencing my box i was wondering if anyone has knowledge about or experience in the maximum operating temperature for the Pulsar board. I have 2 Pulsar-II boards and was wondering how high the case-temperature was allowed to be before causing problems.
Just called Creamware and they said there was no specific operating limit, so anyone with more precise figures would help me alot.
TIA

Rob
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I don´t have any precise informatiob about this either, but as a rule of thumb you can say that a temperature of electronic circuitry that exceeds 65°C will shorten the chips´ life experience drastically, 85°C will kill most IC´s almost immediately.

To be sure I´ve two(!) 92mm fans cooling my DSP cards directly...
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

Went through silencing my box last summer, and measured the temp on my PI and PIISRB. It went to just over 50°C !
After 4 fans was added (2 80 mm directly on the cards and 2 pulling out air of the box), two PCI-covers pulled out for increased circulation, I am now running smoothly at below 30°C. The CPU-temp went down too :smile:

This will probably make my boards live longer :smile:

There is a couple of threads somewhere here about people having difficulties running 96kHz *until* the boards was cooled.

Cheers
Stubbe
at0m

Post by at0m »

Both of my P3's run at 40°C, Athlons can run about 20°C hotter.

Rule of thumb: Every 10°C extra, electronics lifetime halves. (tx DeFeX!) I'll go look for more on this subject...

See also http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=3&12

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2002-02-27 18:35 ]</font>
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Thanx for the replies guys!
Under heavy load my casetemp goes up to 45 degrees, my CPU up to 59! (idle: case 32, cpu 41). All is running stable and very quiet. Reading your replies it becomes clear to me I'll have to pay attention to airflow in my case to keep things working over time. Since swapping the PSU for a SilentPC Q-Technology PSU my case runs warm. The silent PSU doesn't cause enough airflow so I'll have to add case fans, which will introduce more noise. Guess it's a tradeoff in either direction: or you run quiet but warm, or you'll have a cool noisy machine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rvberkel on 2002-02-28 01:16 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »