A16 Ultra - my lil' review

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Round1

Post by Round1 »

Well my A16 turned up on Thursday so I thought I'd post a review. I'm running a LunaII with the ADAT/ZLink ext board, so I opted for the ZLink. Bought 2 x 15 feet firewire cables, hooked 'em up and fired up the PC. (Here's the tip, most Mac retailers seem to be cheaper, and also stock longer cables. Any Melbourne users that might have to get some contact me and I'll pass on where I got mine from.)
Everything worked (as it should) straight out of the box. As noted elsewhere on this site, the meters on the A16 aren't brilliant (mainly because they're quite 'coarse') but they do the job, and are quite adequate to set levels by, more so to spot 'overs' (red led), or just to quickly check that you're getting a signal (the bottom green led registers -60db). For getting that 'close to clipping' setting, it's easier to use the meters on the onscreen mixer (or a 3rd party meter plugin).
As for the sound of the A16, to my ears it sounds great, for a couple of weeks I've been using the analog ins on the Luna II, and for me they sounds better than those. It's quiet, and the convertors sound at least as good as the convertors in my (now ageing) Tascam DA30 MkII. The realtime routing is fantastic. I've recently done a new patchbay and the ability to route my outboard, in real time, is awesome, as is the ability to track using CW plugins in realtime......I love this system!!
I've recently sold my mixer (Behringer MX8000), so the A16 is my (virtual) mixer now . Next thing to get will be the Logic Control for hands on mixing duties. Also I'll be buying some external mic pre's.
The A16 also seems to run fairly cool, which is a (pleasant) surprise, 'cause it's currently mounted between 2 other pieces of kit.
So, in my completely biased opinion, I give this unit a 10/10. It has totally lived up to my expectations, and I'd recommend it to any potential owners!

P.S. If you do buy one of these, READ THE MANUAL, 'cause the Outputs on the A16 are NOT fully floating. This is important if you're coming out of the A16 to an UNBALANCED input, don't use a mono plug, in effect youre tying the negative '-' to ground which will put too might load on the output, and damage the A16. As it says in the manual, use a stereo plug, '+' to tip, Ground to sleeve, leave the ring open (don't connect the '-')
(This doesn't apply to the inputs on the A16, it'll recognise an unbalanced signal there)
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I've recorded a couple of CD projects with my A16 Ultra and am loving it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
mano

Post by mano »

oh my god i can't wait!

subhuman should ship mine in a couple of days! :smile::):)