P4B266 future proof?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

OK, last question before buying said board.

My understanding: DDR is not as fast as RDRAM but it's fast enough for a 2GHz CPU.
If I want to upgrade to 3GHz (?) in a couple of years will DDR266 still be fast enough?
SL1200MK4

Post by SL1200MK4 »

From what I understand the RDRAM will come out with the 333Mhz version later on. So, either way you will most likely need to get new Memory and Mobo to take the full advantage of the new 3Ghz CPU
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

All tech stuff "goes out of date." :smile: Remember, it still is totally possible to produce an entire album on 500mhz CUSL2 systems. :wink:

That's a great board. I would have a hard time deciding between the ASUS P4TE and the ASUS P4B266 if I was buying right now. If I already had DDR memory from ie: an Athlon, it would be a no brainer to go with the P4B266.
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

Fair point, thanks SL1200MK4.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: doodyrh on 2002-02-01 10:43 ]</font>
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

Thanks Subhuman.
Your helpful posts are much appreciated.
at0m

Post by at0m »

re: Will it still be fast enough?

Processor speeds double every 18 months. That's an electronics law from long time ago, before ie. the pc, and so far it has remained true!

RAM doesn't evolve that quick, but you can be sure that in 2 years time, current latest and greatest system will be a standard (warehouse pc etc.) or even aged.
Qua speeds, that is. Doesn't mean a lot actually, if you compare some new VIA to some old BX boards.

I might stick to a 'perfect host' for my dsp cards, when I find it. That allows me to keep an assembly, which could be worth much more than the dsp cards :wink:
Most important is the motherboard-processor-memory combination. And of course the right chipset for your Creamware cards.

atomic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2002-02-02 10:41 ]</font>
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

On 2002-02-02 10:24, atomic wrote:
Processor speeds double every 18 months...
...RAM doesn't evolve that quick
That's what I was getting at. Even if the memory does get faster the P4B266 presumably won't support it. 266 is in the name.
But I think this will be enough to blow me away for a while.
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

Sub's right - the progress is relentless. No matter when you commit to new tech, by the time you get it all set up, de-bugged, and working well, its already dated by the nextgen stuff.

At any rate, there are new memory standards just around the corner which will make DDR266 look slow. DDR333 will be a bit better, and DDR400 chipsets will be out by end this year. Also soon we'll see Dual DDR (D-DDR), which will double each of the above bus speeds, and which in some configurations will run faster than the latest RDRAM.

For DAW, this will have a much more palpable impact than, say, the jump in CPU clock speed from 2ghz to 3ghz. And then there's serial ATA, which promises to de-bottleneck storage bandwidth, so those 10,000+ RPM drives start to make more sense.

Given Sub's other accurate point, that I can already do a credible music album or movie soundtrack on my CULS2 (technically, that is, talent is something else!), what on earth will we do with all this power? I'm sure we'll think of something!
eliam

Post by eliam »

Will the D-DDR ram be compatible with the DDR boards?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

D-DDR ram is still DDR memory, only implemented in a dual-channel architecture on the motherboard itself (and a feature of a chipset on a motherboard). So - in one respect, yes. But DDR will go to from 266 (133mhz DDR) to 333 (166mhz DDR) within a year. Still it should be supported, and 333 won't really be popular for quite some time..
ontik

Post by ontik »

A very interesting article in the NY times a day or so ago.

Moore's Law that you have mention where Chip speed doubles every 18 months is now considered to be much quicker than that.

Intel now have Prototype chips that are clocking 10Ghz. Due for commercial release in a couple of years. There are even components of the current 2.2Ghz P4 chips that clock 4.4Ghz.

Intel have stated that the necessity to develop the speed of memory chips is reducing and that they are focussed on chip speed and increasing bit counts (because there is more profit in processors than memory)

More detail?

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/techn ... 4CHIP.html

I dont know how long it will last there but... I figure its relevant ands its quite an interesting article that I encourage you to read anyway before it disappears

Peace.
SL1200MK4

Post by SL1200MK4 »

On 2002-02-01 02:16, doodyrh wrote:
OK, last question before buying said board.

My understanding: DDR is not as fast as RDRAM but it's fast enough for a 2GHz CPU.
If I want to upgrade to 3GHz (?) in a couple of years will DDR266 still be fast enough?
Man don't know if you got the board already, but I got mine! I think this thing is awesome, and my 1.6 northwood overclocked without anyproblem...

So, if you could push it to 2.1G easily already, maybe you will want the RDRAM, now!!! The price is not all that different after all...