synthesizing a choir

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

musquash

Post by musquash »

is it possible to set up one of the standard synthesizers (inclusive propack or free devices) that it sounds like the voice of a choir?
i need something like that for the background but i couldnt figure it out yet.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Try the Modular2 with the Waldorf oscillators.

You have to work on the filtering a bit but you might achieve what you're after.

Good luck! :smile:
Are we listening?..
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Also check out the Modular2's vocal filters, this can help quite a bit, and may be a little easier to get 'vocal' sounds from the Waldorf oscillators (you will need to find & use the right wavetable for this of course).

Here is an article on the web which might also help you a bit:
<a href=http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/mar01/arti ... sp>FORMANT SYNTHESIS</a> - luckily, the Vocal filters tend to help get the proper frequency ranges so the effect is easier to accomplish. :smile:

Hope that helps, this is a fun one!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Here's a great link
http://www.helsinki.fi/hum/hyfl/projekt ... t_eng.html
Lots of formant charts to play with.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

WOW! My singing teacher is going to like this page!

Thanks, Ken! :smile:

Paul
Are we listening?..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Some more strange toys if you're interested:
http://fonsg3.hum.uva.nl/paul/
THE praat analysis/synthesis engine, free, and is available for most platforms. Very high end analysis tool.
It does some VERY funky things, like totally strip a vocal of its formant data.. and stuff like that. Think about it.. it's like chopping off your head, and just listening to the glottis vibrate. Amazing! (and I was thinking of keeping this trick under my sleeves!)

So you can analyse your own formant with this, and then implement it in mod2 for your own customized choir. :> Good luck. I still haven't had the time to explore this software. It's VERY complex.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-01-29 12:37 ]</font>
musquash

Post by musquash »

making a choir is tougher than expected.. thanks for your help, i will upload my choir when it's presentable :smile:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Can't wait! :smile:
Are we listening?..
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Celmo's Deep Blue (uses the Waldorf salad) can do a pretty fair voice, but you'd need lots of effects and tracks to get a choir - and this goes for any synth methinks. Why not go for samples, or have you set yourself a challenge :wink:
musquash

Post by musquash »

i prefer to avoid samples - it gives me a good feeling to know i did everything only with synthesis. actually i would be really proud if i could make my pulsar singing for me :wink:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

'tis a noble goal you seek
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I'm trying to keep myself from going into the business of vocal modeling again.. But does anyone know of sources that tell you how the glottis vibration changes as the singer changes pitch? This is right where my research stopped, cuz I can't find any information on it.
Ah well, someday, I'll continue my research. I wish you good luck! I'd be glad to share my findings about the human voice. You'd be surprised at how many linguists are interested in voice synthesis... and so little music people!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-01-30 09:00 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Hey! Does anybody remember using analog synths making the resonant filters go "ow" and "yoy"?
Are we listening?..
Michu

Post by Michu »

THE praat analysis/synthesis engine, free, and is available for most platforms. Very high end analysis tool.
It does some VERY funky things, like totally strip a vocal of its formant data.. and stuff like that. Think about it.. it's like chopping off your head, and just listening to the glottis vibrate. Amazing! (and I was thinking of keeping this trick under my sleeves!)
Ken, this is great!!!!
thanks a lot!
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Michu on 2002-01-30 13:57 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

You want a synth that sings?

I know one that can talk, http://www.neutron7.com, the "W".
at0m

Post by at0m »

And this one, also by DeFeX!!
Robotronix
Michu

Post by Michu »

this is rather funky stuff than choir synthesis, but anyway...
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

Apoptygma Berserk: "Kathy's song (come lie next to me)"

Sung with c64-like speech synthesis on a mac.

Just my two cents...
Eurocide-HQ
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" Agent Smith

<a href="http://www.eurocide.com">www.eurocide.com</a>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Can't really remember which one, but RadioHead has this song and one computer voice speaks/ does the lyrics. Cool, how they integrated that simple tekst reader into a song. It says the weirdest stuff just with this dry synthetical monotone voice...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Just a reminder.. In case you haven't checked out my post in Mod forum, I've found an equation that roughly estimates frequency values in MID units (0-127). You may want to use it, if you're going to do FFT analysis, and implementing that as a bank of filters in Mod2. Also, as a general guideline, as I've learned from making the vocoder, the characteristics of the human voice are concentrated in the 160-6000 zone. So, if you want to convert from FFT filters, make sure you have lots of filters in that area. And then leave a few for the sibillances. (I guess you might already know that)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-02-10 10:45 ]</font>