Pro Tools Free

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Round1

Post by Round1 »

Howdy,
Does PTFree ver work on PC with Luna II (Win 98SE). I tried it once when it first came out on my old SBLive value. It would work for a few minutes, then the SB would lose sync with itself and crash....
Any experience here?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I never got it working very well, it also doesn't support any multiclient driver like ASIO and crashed quite frequently, so I just went back to my Logic... maybe someone else had better experiences?
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

About the same bad experience. You'd think that if Pro Tools wanted us to hook us on this thing they would have at least allowed ASIO, that would have really opened it up wide.
spacef

Post by spacef »

here it works on pulsar using wave drivers, but i underswtood it could depend on people setups (me is a pIII 1ghz + cusl2c but it worked on my p2 350+msi mobo) win98
Valium

Post by Valium »

Hi there,

PTFree is working fine here : Luna II , PIII 800 with 512 mb ram. I only use it to work on complete tracks I finished recording on. All the recording is done with Cubase/Nuendo and then I import all wav files seperately into Protools Free. This is working good so far and I'm able to use all the rtas plugs I need to get good quality sounds. When I need more power I burn a CD with the project and go over to a friend who actually owns a complete Protools studio ... then I can get work done ... That's what it was all about, getting my work done in a Protools studio, so now I can prepare most of it at home ...

Cheers ...
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

RTAS are no better better than VST plugs. I find it hard to hear any difference btw a TDM plugin and it's VST dito.
To listen to TDM plugins check my second mp3 posted here. It's mixed in protools (mac).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2002-01-16 15:06 ]</font>
Valium

Post by Valium »

Hi again,

I have to agree on the quality of the different plugins, but in my case, I find it a lot easier for me to go to any of my friends having a protools project on cd rather than a cubase or ... file. Maybe it's just because I'm only starting out in the audiobiz and I can't afford getting a full PT system but I like to work on them for as much as I can ... And you have to admit, what's the better choice: working on your own sounds in a fully equipped PT studio, rather than in my living room with only a PC, luna-based and a midi keyboard ...

Cheers again
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

That's why I tried to cheer u up!
The TDM plugins are almost identical as their VST versions. As far as RTAS go, I'd say they are written for the same CPU as vst so don't expect any wonders.

:smile:
Round1

Post by Round1 »

It'd be more to use the different non-vst/dx plugs like Bomb Factory and the Focusrite stuff.....
Valium

Post by Valium »

Yes idd, I have the complete set of bombfactory plugs installed and to be honest, it's these little b****rds that I use most,

ah well maybe in a couple of years my own PT studio ... :wink:

See ya