Which devices make you want have more dsp power?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Michu

Post by Michu »

i am Pulsar I user. i learned to live with its 4 dsps and take advantage of its flexibility and synths and fx.
but there are devices that make you REALLY think about adding more hardware for more voices or whatever.
for me those happen to be Neutron devices: Dub-a-Duck (device is light on dsp but makes you want route your signal through 4 different sets of fx), Transplanet and upcoming Star2 synths.
those allow truly wild things but are ruthless on dsp.

if you thought about adding another card to your setup what made you thing about it?
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

Pulsar SRB.Pure DSP powercart.

Kim
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2002-01-07 17:57, Michu wrote:
for me those happen to be Neutron devices: Dub-a-Duck (device is light on dsp but makes you want route your signal through 4 different sets of fx), Transplanet and upcoming Star2 synths.
those allow truly wild things but are ruthless on dsp.
Neutron's devices are DSP heavier, DeFeX wants to make them sound special. The presets contain more voices than common synths. Neutron devices contain many sub-surface modulations, which make them sound complex, not straight line.
The only quality devices that I know that were more DSP friendly than their more modest companions, were the STW Vintage EQ's.
if you thought about adding another card to your setup what made you thing about it?
I wanted to connect more external gear and use Pulsar as master mixer. PulsarMixer is in every project now, does the whole studio mix. That requires :eek:) fx and weird routings.
Gated, modulated, delayed and gated 303 line. Gate again with an extra original 303 out to midi controlled LPF on sidechain. Send it to an EQ and to Leslie. Mix bot, tweak your knobs. Remotely, of course :wink:
And some Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser, Voco on Auxchannels on the mixer would be nice too. And one or two crazy DSP synths. Using modular could be more dsp saving.

Have 2Pulsar1's for about 3yrs, recently added a Pulsar2 & Lunabox. Now all my hardware audio is connected to Creamware, I can record what I want, on pc or sampler. Mic, 10 synth channels, 20 digital to/from samplers and other pc. Aux send to synth fx.
Turntables' Rodec mixer.
Plus all devices send one stereo mix to analog mixer, user for monitoring. We have neat :cool: hardware. Couldn't find a better way to mix everything with utmost flexibility. Now everything's finally connected and the software's setup. I'm a happy man.

I think it's so much fun that I want to do it all the time. That also saves me $ for my hobby, which can I spend to it. I realize not many people have the opportunity to play on all that gear. But it's possible :smile:

I extended my Creamware setup to integrate my hardware into pc and to use it as heart of the setup.

I'll shut up for now.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Mmmmmm. Very nice set-up.I just have a PulsarII and some modest outboard gear which gets used less all the time. I do love Pulsar, it's a fantastoc system with some of the sweetest (and meanest) sounds I've ever managed to extract from a circuit.

Many devices make me wish for more DSP. At first I was running with lots of MIDI and this got frustrating with just about any set-up so I switched to dumping audio. Much better. But you still want to hear as much of the mix as possible in an editable state. What's the point of having great plug-ins if you're forced to use super-slim DSP devices?
Ah well, I've worked with a lot of tortuous set-ups over the years, so this is still very good. (Four-tracks, two-track sequencers, step-only sequencers, tape-memory dump drum machines, mixed voltage gates etc etc .... anyone remember the good old days ? :lol: )

So to answer the original question: What device makes me want more DSP. Now its three devices:

- the Pulsar mixer: the proPack effects are fantastic and the Pulsar mixer is just begging you to fill it up with effects...
- ModV2: you can build some beautiful cutom devices, and mine are often BIG
- the Lightwave: another ProPack goodie. This is one of the best synths for Pulsar but it's hungry. Starving. It'll eat your card almost as bad as an Ambient.

More DSP? Sure. Ah... sweet dreams
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

PulsarMixer!
I thought 8 DSP's should be enough (the old Pulsar1 + pulsar1 srb combo). I think that the pulsar mixer is a bit more heavier on dsp than the BM. Some recent recordings of bands had me performing a bit more trickery with heavier use of compression and eq plugins etc and I would often find myself at the limit. So I took the plunge and recently bought a PulsarII expansion.
14 DSP's = more room to breath now. Much, much better.

Cheers,
Stuart.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Yeah:
1. PulsarMixer
2. Saturn
3. Neutron Transplanet
4. All reverbs (they cause I want to have Scope or PowerPulsar due to the RAM installed in it)