Dubby 3 Follow up

General discussion for SpaceF Devices

Moderators: valis, spacef

spacef

Dubby 3 Follow up

Post by spacef »

I am doing a fully mono version, with autopan. Might need to sacrifice the last insert to put new controls on the panel.

In the meantime, if you have any request for Dubby 3 , I will be happy to consider (and if DSP allow).

to-do list:
  • Delay II Pan labels
  • Delay II Panpots tooltip/midi cc labelling (done)
  • Bias control to control all filters at once

Please also note that I am on "slow" mode right now (lots of ideas, not much gets finalized...).
So it gives time for your input.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Re: Dubby 3 Follow up

Post by spacef »

This is Del-Ray a stereo-to-mono-to-stereo delay based on Dubby 3 with modified features to make a sound closer to vintage delays which were mono.

The signal begins as stereo at the input, insert Fx and VCA, and then it becomes mono when it reaches the 3 first delay line "pre-filters".
- pre-filter source: select L or R as on Dubby 3, or "LR"' sum (will be added to Dubby 3 or 4)
- the sound remains mono until the final autopan.
- The Dry channel is always stereo. The dry sound can be sourced at the input of the device, or after the insert Fx.

This also means that the device is lighter than Dubby 3 (removing one channel to make it mono = - 30 / 40% of internal modules).

DAMP function:
- is a filter placed inside the feedback loop of each delay line and which is synced to the pre-filters frequencies.
- can be swicthed on or off for each delay line: this allows to create a sound where high frequencies appear from time to time, sounding like it is floating above the other delays. pretty nice :-)
- Damp should make it into a future "Dubby 4" device (because in Dubby 3 all is stereo and adding more uses more DSP, so a new version allows a choice in DSP usage (Dubby 3 lighter than Dubby 4).

AutoPan
- Any modulator can be used for autopanning.
- It is nice to use the same modulator on autopan as on a filter (delay II or Post Filter), to create a L/R movement as the filter opens or closes.

CC modulator (under the ADSR) : is a way to modify all filters at once manually, with attack/release Lag. It also gives fine control over the range of the modulation, allowing to act a a narow range of frequencies, more precisely than using the linked filters' frequency pot. It is nice, but not sure it will be added to Dubby delays yet.

Other: renaming many controls tooltip (which also helps in midi CC management). Will be added to Dubby 3 of course...

What is left to do is to translate Dubby 3 presets into Del-Ray, and create new ones with the new features, improve some graphics here and there (output section for example, so it looks more centered).

I think that's all for now folks !
Attachments
DelRayScreenshot.jpg
DelRayScreenshot.jpg (108.63 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Del-Ray is released and sent.
There are a few delay time presets, that reproduce what I saw on screeshots/manual of the nux tape echo pedal (basically a 1, x2, x 1.5 multiplication of the previous delay line (eg: 100, 200, 300).
have fun !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

If you haven't tried, I advised the following for a "sound on sound effect"

1. Connect the delays to a regular stereo track of a mixer, not to the aux returns.
2. use a merger like Mix 3 S to connect the aux sends from the mixers to the delay
3. use the aux send of the mixer to send back the delay to itself, creating a convincing "sound on sound" effect (infinite feedback with distortion).

I am looking for a way to include this directly inside the delays, to use different sources to send back to the inputs (like: post tri-delay, post delay II, pre-HP etc). lack of space on the device panels...
Attachments
SoundonSound.JPG
SoundonSound.JPG (34.1 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

this is how Del Ray sounds after a hardware spring reverb.
https://spacef-devices.com/wp-content/u ... DelRay.mp3

There are tricks that allows to use real spring reverb, with a very low budget (with headphone otputs and HiZ or DI, and get great results)
Check this thread for several tricks:
https://www.forums.scopeusers.com/viewt ... ee#p356080
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website