pulsar or scope?!?!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

wizzy

Post by wizzy »

what's better between 3 pulsar II connected via the S/TDM bus and an ipotetical scope with 18 dsp?

are there any pci problem (for the bandwith)?

thanks
at0m

Post by at0m »

The total PCI bandwidth needed will depend on
1) used amount of busses
2) sample frequency
3) bitdepth
4) DSP Samplers
5) DSP FX like reverb, delays, chorus,... ('streaming' fx like pitchshifter and filters do not store samples into memory)

The total PCI bandwidth needed will not depend on the card you have. Even with 3 cards installed, only one card will be adressed directly via pci by the Pulsar OS.

If you think you'll need all those DSP, get ONE card with all necessary power on it. As such, you can still add more later :grin:
LHong

Post by LHong »

Scope is an answer as for me.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

If you already have a Pulsar and want to add more DSPs incrementally, you can using multiple Pulsars. If you don't, a SCOPE/SP package comes with more software and uses less PCI slots -- also leaves you room to add a SCOPE SRB/XTC board(s) later. I'd say without any boards, go for PowerPulsar or wait and see what the new ScopeSP brings (which should catapult it beyond Pulsar once again), one card is easier to setup and is more robust. But I have had 3 card setups work totally fine as well, just tricker with the IRQ setup, takes multiple PCI slots in your machine, and remember only a maximum of any 3 CW DSP cards at once.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-12-27 12:33 ]</font>
wizzy

Post by wizzy »

ok. thanks