Best mobo and cpu combo

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Best mobo and cpu combo

Post by garyb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm

use either ASIO2 or ASIO2 float.
bit depth will be determined by the ASIO host. generally, use the highest bit-depth available. there's no real gains to be made by using a lower bit-depth. bit-depth is more important than samplerate.

yes, a 15dsp card might be first generation, the Luna is second gen. the master card is not an issue in v5 or especially v7.

@plonter

Post by @plonter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:04 am

Hi

I want to sure a theory, at first i need to know if a PCI-Overflow being triggered by the Asio module?

If the answer is yes or the biggest trigger to PCI-Overflow then i can take this "RME digiface usb" and use it as Asio driver and send 32 ch via ADAT..

Is it sound good as i think ? in terms of PCI Bandwidth?

Also an update, i less often receive the PCI-Overflow message, the last one was when i disconnected cables form the Asio module to Mixer ??!! module.

@plonter

Post by @plonter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi Gary

I read an old post from you in our forum about a way to determine Scope/sp 15 DSP gen, you wrote..

"you can look at manufacture dates, but if the card has a z-link, Plus or Classic20 i/o plate, it's almost certainly a 2nd gen card. if iut has a 24ADAT or was converted from a 24ADAT plate, then it's almost certainly a 1st gen card."

My box says "Plus" see photo :)
Attachments
pluse.PNG
pluse.PNG (2.75 MiB) Viewed 278 times

garyb

Post by garyb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:31 pm

probably second generation.

no, the ASIO driver is not the cause. a bunch of reverbs might.

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:50 pm

@plonter wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:18 pm

1 - As i understand there is some issues with 1st gen PCI card along with 2st gen.
AFAIK you can test if it´s a 1st or 2nd gen card.
Remove the other DSP cards from computer,- use your 15DSP card only and try to get it down to 7ms in ULLI.
Already when you get it below 13ms, it should be a 2nd gen. card.

My 15DSP card (Classic I/O) worked flawlessly w/ 7ms @ 44.1K in a super outdated Intel Pentium IV "northwood" 2.8GHz /Win XP SP2 machine.
Mobo was ASUS P4T-E w/ 2GB of Rambus RAM. :lol:
But that was SCOPE 4.5.

Meanwhile I retired the machine and the card will go into my now "oldest" computer,- socket 478 Intel Pentium dual core D945 and WinXP SP3,- which is still able to run SCOPE 5.1 as also SCOPE 7.

:)

Bud

valis

Post by valis » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 pm

That CPU runs rather hot, maybe declock it a tad :)

next to nothing

Post by next to nothing » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 am

First of all, if you have had it up and running on this motherboard, you should be able to get it up and running again. I would only install the 15dsp card, and rather expand when you get that up and running... if you do.

Second, The H310 Chipset is generally a VERY weak/cheap chipset that should be avoided in my opinion. Even with the "TUF" branding, it is very limited. It has limited number of PCIe lanes and CHipset high speed IO lanes. Its basically a cheap, cut down system more suiyable for general office work and light gaming.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

@plonter

Post by @plonter » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:49 am

Hi next to nothing

I believe i'm up and running now, last error message was DSP limit reach and if would like to optimize the project so i did and all ok after that :)

As for the H310, i'm all ears for a better configuration even if it means to step back in CPU gan but won't step back from 3 PCI ports for my 3 PCI cards :)

Can you please recommend a Motherboard + CPU?

Looking forward to your reply :)