Kron - CV modulator (blog of the making of)

General discussion for SpaceF Devices

Moderators: valis, spacef

spacef

Kron - CV modulator (blog of the making of)

Post by spacef » Tue May 15, 2018 12:21 pm

I began to do it for my own use I did it to use with the ES3 for my MS20 but i can also control a classic device.
I guess it can save hundreds of euro/usd for a new eurorack system, or simply add some dsp modulator into analog synths.

That minitaur CV pitch on Osc 2 is known to easily go out of tunev when using CV+Midi but it does fun sounds when it goes that way.
--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ0qp-hSnjU

for the moment it is not ready for show time (UI Not ready, no presets, small bugs...) but it does stuff i usually don't do manually.

so, just sharing in case s.o want to input....
Attachments
Kron-small.jpg
Kron-small.jpg (365.78 KiB) Viewed 468 times

jksuperstar

Re: Kron - CV modulator

Post by jksuperstar » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 am

Oh, wow. Modulated modulators modulating oscillators ;)

Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source » Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 am

Looks very cool, how does it connect to analogue synths? CV or Midi ?
would I have to have the expert sleepers module?

spacef

Post by spacef » Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 am

Thanks !

It sends CV modulators to analog synths and the synth can still keep its midi input. You can also use it 100% CV even though I haven't included a start/stop feature yet (I should, lol).

In fact it sends "Audio signals" or "Scope modulation" that must be converted into CV, and the Expert Sleepers ES3 is what I use and recommend for the price/quality. You must have a converter of some kind.

I still have the synths connected to the daw by midi, which allows to play the keyboard.
And you know, a great step sequencer is your DAW's piano roll ;-)

The krOn device uses CV because it allows things midi cannot easily handle and also for the sake of doing things differently, and you get different results. It can be connected to the same channel as the synth to play the same thing, or to its own channel (to trigger it independantly from what you play on the synths). In general, you have a midi channel with a long note of 4 or 8 measures that is sent to kRon, to trigger KrOn's Envelope generators for example.
So I can play the keyboard and have pitch/filter sequencing (ie the keyboard notes will transpose the pitch-sequencers, as you expect from a modern step sequencer).

It doesn't send midi out: may be it allow to take a couple of outputs as a midi CC, to sync a non-CV- synth's filter for example, but it is not the initial purpose of KrOn (it does not include a lot of things that you could do with your DAW or midi).

The pitch sequencer is tuned and represents a lot of work: it requires precision in the conversion. 2*32 step sequencers transmit perfect pitch in several formats: for now the choices are CV/Eurorack (1V/Oct) , MS20 Pitch Modulation, MS20 Oscillator .... I think I want to add "dsp" to control compatible scope synths or modular patch (for modulating filters/amps its not a problem, but for pitch, this means re-doing the entire pitch section to add this particular pitch table).... :-) but it's a lot of work and the new sdk is not the easiest to work with for the moment...
Attachments
kron-project.jpg
kron-project.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Kron-small.jpg
Kron-small.jpg (446.97 KiB) Viewed 459 times

spacef

Post by spacef » Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 am

Just for those who did not know (like me) you can find cheaper converter by getting a eurorack CV mixer/attenuator that is dc coupled, and preferably that knows to do both audio and CV. I've seen some modules from Doepfer or Erica Synths and others. They are around 55/60 euros in general, but have much less i/os that the ES 3 (which is still the best for price per number of i/os).
In any case you also need a eurorack case to provide power supply to the euyrorack modules (something i didn't even think about before getting the ES-3 and remembering it is not a software and requires power and cables and stuff ;-)

I am reworking the plugin (for the 3rd time) , and will include stuff to make it compatible with software (scope devices, but also inputs of VSTs such as sidechain or anything), and for direct compatibility with SpaceF Modular Mixer.

As I cannot include everything in one device (more modulators, more ideas etc etc) , it will be modular and will be chainable with extensions or modular patches. For example, a true gate-triggers sequencer may be on a different device connected to KrOn (or used on its own), because it would be too big to add to krOn.

I speak I speak , but is anyone impatient to have this ? I ask because I intend to take the time to finish it. It is also very specialized, so I don't expect that it will interest many people not be a best seller. I finish it for myself, but to bring it to a professional version requires more work in the details (to please everyone :-) ... and also for the glory of scope :-) )

the MS 20 part is done and working 100%.
Any MS20 user? ---> there is a free + early bird version for someone who can do a video with the MS20 (and who already did videos, because it's difficult and takes time and gear too) and post it on youtube and promote scope that way.
anyone intending to get the Behringer Neutron ?
See you soon :-)

dawman

Re: Kron - CV modulator (blog of the making of)

Post by dawman » Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 am

Hopefully I can use this on my SE-02 somehow.

spacef

Post by spacef » Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 am

It shouldn't be a problem. It's only the pitch that is difficult because - as I've been told by makers of converters from audio to CV - of how the pitch modulation is implemented in different synths.

But what works perfectly with the MS20... I don't see why it wouldn't work with any oscillator that is tuned to 1V/oct.

Unfortunately, I cannot count on the minitaur for this (it is notoriously difficult and buggy to use with CV Pitch, in particular when using Midi notes + CV pitch ( it is not even a matter of analog oscillator , but a matter of CV calibration that is not steady and is lost after a while).

So I am waiting for an eurorack oscillator that is said to be perfectly tuned over the 1V/oct range to make a converter from Scope to 1V/oct . I should be able to test it on a behringer neutron too in july ;-) ...
but if anyone wants to send me a SE-02... :-)

otherwise there will be demos of course, if it is ever released (at least there should be the version for MS20 which pitch is not 1V/OCTAVE but 1V/Hz ----> but as a scope user , for me it doesn't mean anything else that the MS20 can pitch 4 octaves (48 semi tones) weheras 1V/oct is 36 notes only (3 octaves). For me it is nothing else than that - or more exactly, if there is something to adjust, it would simply be the master tune knob of the analog synth ! ... I hope that the forthcoming 1V/oct tests will not change this !

wait and see....

jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am

I'm looking at a Neutron...I need a base (and Bass) synth for my eurorack to build around and it's the closest to what I've been looking for (over Moog Mother or Pittsburg Lifeforms SV-1).

Would also be fun to create a spectacular Modular patch that paired with your sequencer to prove out the scope end of uses.

spacef

Post by spacef » Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am

I will let you know when it is ready ! sure it is also made to be shown and advertise scope possibilities to other scope users as well as the external world...

spacef

Post by spacef » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi guys,
I am very buzy in other areas and didn't have much time for th device.

I managed to do this today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLlqgXJEOPM

but I can't tell if it can be transposed to other oscillators yet, or more exactly, if they would have to be tuned the same way as this one or if their own master tuning would allow transposition with perfect pitch. For ex, I don't know if it works on a roland se02 or another eurorack oscillator...and i am not going to buy new stuff just to check... :-/
wait and see

spacef

Post by spacef » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:01 am

It's been 3 days without internet provider has problems... so no video.
But happy to announce that i added a CV keyboard that converts midi note into CV @ 1V/oct. + pitch bend up to -5 to + 5 semitones, Up and down bend can be set separetely so you can have -2 to +5 for example.
So far it works great with a erika synth pico vco but should work fine with other stuff of the 1v/oct type (there isfine- tuning function so you can "transpose" the keyboard.

spacef

Post by spacef » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:53 am

Managed to post this
https://youtu.be/9AkrhXF6HDk
It s the pico vco controlled by kron-cv keyboard, all info go thru a single cv cable. The vca on the pico vco is the one of the ms20, triggerred by the same midi as the pico vco. No filter, but an echo4i creating overtones.
In Kron you also have mod wheel vibrato, afertouch, various midi cc to use with expression pedals etc but they are not in use here.

Savings from cv keyboard: 1 midi to cv converter 120€ + 1 cv mixer to mix kb and pitch mod =40 € =160

spacef

Post by spacef » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:37 am

And also this https://youtu.be/5-sM5Zapr3Y
Have a nice week end.
Cu next week

spacef

Post by spacef » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 am

Kron can also control dsp synths.
Here https://youtu.be/Wzeppm9CJug
Erika synth is now fully "midified" and can be controlled fr daw like any other synth.
Kron also controls an inferno (test synth, not the official one)

There is no filter on erika synth . Echo 4i creates a wide ambience. At the end of the vid, i use an eq lowpass to show scope filter in action.

https://youtu.be/Wzeppm9CJug

spacef

Post by spacef » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:47 am

So t also does shuffle (or swing if you prefer).
https://soundcloud.com/user-442800355/kron-shuffle-test
Two scope synths controlled by Kron. You can hear me moving the Swing knob so it goes from 5/4 to 4/4 and back to 5/4 (it's a continuous param for the moment).

spacef

Post by spacef » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:27 am

Inferno filters controlled the EG of Kron , also a bit of EG on pitch mod.
this synth sounds pretty cool !
https://soundcloud.com/user-442800355/i ... ed-by-kron

Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Phantastic idea! My Neutron comes with the first shipment in the beginning of july (got email yesterday from my major Behringer dealer /Germany).
I dream about combining scopes Modular together with a real one. Im really happy to see SpaceF working on the same dream!
Scope 7 user since 2017 and Scope user since 1998. :o

faxinadu

Post by faxinadu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 pm

amazing work man, sick sick stuff! :)
Scope 3rd Party Developer
http://www.oceanswift.net
Scope, Android and PC Developer
https://www.facebook.com/purechordsrecords/
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/

spacef

Post by spacef » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks guys ! positive vibe and energy is indeed needed to finish it :-) (exhausted :-p ) ....
Once all is done it will be quite easy to add CV pitch tables for other synths.
I should get a neutron from the first public batch too.... not sure 100% though as it is from someone else... wait and see.... Hopefully that will result in videos seen by lots of people looking for Neutron Demos, and indirectly they will see Scope... well, that's a part of the plan at least :-)

And don't forget to send me all your rare and expensive analog synths, I just need them during 1 week end to add a pitch table for you :-) .. I received none so far (..so weird :D 8-) 8-) ) so when i receive yours it will be on the top of the list, lol ;-)