Security & Privacy with technology in 2018 and beyond

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

David

Re: Security & Privacy with technology in 2018 and beyond

Post by David » Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 pm

Voting google for president should cut through all that crap

dawman

Post by dawman » Tue May 28, 2019 10:23 am

It wouldn’t hurt, that’s for sure.
We got an impatient general foreman right now that pisses off everybody.

You could put Trump on a deserted island and he’d be ordering Crabs around, calling Coconuts losers...

valis

Post by valis » Tue May 28, 2019 11:25 am

On a related note, there's been articles lately on whether privacy is a 'luxury item' ('ala Apple's products) and I found that notion funny. High end gear has plenty of processing power to feed 'metadata' from Snapchat etc to the ad-platform(s) while you use high end features. And now tech companies have an easier path to obsolescence than just simply allowing for software & OS bloat over time. Each 'security' issue at the bare metal level is basically de-evolving CPU's older than a generation or two, and along comes a magical 'fix' in the latest & greatest silicon spin. Just in time for the slowdown as we approach 3nm...

In further (non-)news, our household elected to get a crappy Vizio TV for our family last upgrade specifically because the lack of a web browser makes ad-targeting more difficult to do. The FireTV's have Alexa built in, so that's nu buendo for us. While the Vizio TV's can associate youtube/netflix/etc data with the device itself, it can only do so with specific users in the household via each platform's respective login and/or user accounts. The data will sure be aggregated by the meta companies who do that (and periodically 'leak' our aggregated data of course). Still, it's the best I can hope for moving forward and should stave off putting the jack directly to my children's brains for a little while longer. A monthly 'advertising ID' reset satisfies our privacy needs and still allows Vizio to monetize the usage to keep the retail price insanely low, and I'll skip the constant upgrade cycle to 8K & 1,000,000,000 LUMEN "H-HDR" for a while longer too, thanks. That 3D set we got last round turned out to be such a great investment. :D

Meanwhile iPhone X-whatever tracks 2048+ points in the room at all times, and anytime it catches sight of a face it turns the screen on and attempts to automatically unlock to be 'ready' for my every whim...

valis

Post by valis » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Facebook just fined 5 Billion by US FTC.

Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Yeah, 1000 USD per each of the 50 million accounts, or 23 for each of the ~220 million US accounts at the time, or 65 cents for each and every human on the planet as well as the handful in orbit. I really don't know where I'm going with this.

valis

Post by valis » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:17 am

Well, if nothing else it represents the US's bureaucratic cut on whatever the sum total of our 'information age' worth is, no? :D

At least until we can be valued in Facebook's Libra, which some have speculated be a move to prevent destruction of your personal data for min. of 5 years, which also is part of US law for financial institutions and account information.

valis

Post by valis » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Good article from WIRED on AI 'recommended' feedback loops, from audience to creator to platform: The Toxic Potential of YouTube’s Feedback Loop (applies well beyond Youtube).

ronnie

Future Is Past

Post by ronnie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:41 am

I said this here quite awhile ago. The proof is now mainstream. It's get out the popcorn time. :wink:
ronnie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:13 am
G :o :o gle is the NSA/CIA/NWO. Remember they changed the company name to ALPHABET. Lose Google. Use DuckDuckGo over Tor with a VPN and don't use G :o :o gle$ DNS.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays