Funk To A Sin

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: Jazz Fusion<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar Mixers<BR> SOCAN© Paul R. Martin<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> Ok! I need some feed back as to how to make this sound better.
This track is an old composition done on a very noisy Roland CM-64.
I recorded all the instruments individually so I could process them separately.
There are 20 tracks in all, 3 for guitars, and 2 VST instruments.
This is the style I usually compose in.
Enjoy!

Paul
Are we listening?..
junklight

Post by junklight »

Hi paul,

very nice but it kind of stops - this kind of song needs to break free. Kind of hard I guess when you haven't got a band. My only other comment would be everything is kind of clean - you need a little bit of dirt in there. Some overdrive - the TDrive or the Celmo bluesman again are ideal for this kind of thing.

mark
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

You have to realise that jazz-fusion is not an effector's paradise. If you listen to Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale or even Alain Caron Band you will better understand the sonic thinking behind this piece.
How would you use this TDrive or Bluesman?
Do you use it on the whole track or just selected parts?
Please tell me!

I think I may get the hang of this after all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-11-26 09:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-11-26 10:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-11-26 10:23 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

cool piece :smile:
the drum intro sounds exceedingly canned (I want to say cheezy but that is mean). the drums sit OK in the mix, but I would suggest a different intro.

i think it has a decent 'letting loose' contrary to junklight.
a little fuzz on the horns might be good.
some resolution to the ending.

great guitar, paul :grin:
bosone

Post by bosone »

great guitarist!
i like your fusion playing (i wish i could play like you! but i'm far away!)
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

It's not how fast you play, it's the feeling that counts. I'm just a dirty player.

I just had a thought! Hey Algorhythm! What if I sent you the tracks and you could do the drums on it? I agree with cheesy at the beginning but of course you realise that these tracks are only done for demo purposes with the eventuality of having REAL MUSICIANS playing in mind... :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-11-27 09:24 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

paul - check yer PM's
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

AHHHHHHH!! I totally dig this man!! The guitar kills. Wished I could hear a bit more of the slap. The marimbas(or something like it) seems to break the swing rate a bit.. maybe that's what you wanted to do. Personally I like to respect the drum's swing in all instruments so I would have swung the marimbas and slap a bit more. Ya know what I mean. :smile:
Love the brass chord phrase. I wished I could do something like that. In fact, as you can see in my 'musical history' post, I started off with fusion in mind... but before I knew it, I stopped doing fusion when parallel chord movement was just about all I learned from it. hehe.
Yoonchi

Post by Yoonchi »

Ok, you can play, man. I rated another song of yours badly, too outside playing :smile:. That was before I heard this one. Sounds like you dig Scott Henderson. Comments on this song: as my guitar player would say 'make the drums sound less metalic' and play more with the eqing so not all instruments are in the same range.
Great composition.
Yoonchi.