Lexicon MX

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Lexicon MX

Post by yayajohn »

Found a MX200 on craigslist for 100$ and talked the guy down to $75. Worth it do you think?
The concept of a computer GUI control of a hardware rack seems familiar to me for some reason... :roll:
I know it's entry level and there are way better verbs but I figure for the price it might be worth dabbling with, lots of them on ebay which worries me they might be garbage.
Apparently can't use it with 64bit OS but if I can find a VST host I can hook it into my Scope PCI computer on 32bit.
sharc

Re: Lexicon MX

Post by sharc »

This might help in using the VST editor with x64 OS - http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8501
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

sharc wrote:This might help in using the VST editor with x64 OS - http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8501

good find! thanks sharc I'll pick it up hopefully by the end of the week and try the install on the DAW64bit computer first.
I can still just use it as a traditional rack if all else fails.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this".

Sharc beat me as I was typing. Sounds like you took the leap! :D

A thought. You have a real solid shot at getting the VST to work using jBridge which "makes it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process". I use it with quite a few old plugs and it works very well although I have had it's engine "auxhost.exe" crash on occasion but it never crashed the DAW itself. There are options which can be tweaked to get it to work with most plugs and DAWs. And I see from Sharc's post that you may have to play with Cubase itself although I don't see why VST Bridge in Cubase itself do the trick (it's actually a separate program with it's own process, like jBridge's auxhost.exe so if it crashes it shouldn't affect Cubase). It doesn't sound like the Lexicon VST would use a lot of the memory, being hardware, whereas a 32bit impulse reverb VST can squeeze the 4GB max memory space for 32 bit VSTs. IMHO three pluses: it's hardware with a (potential) VST control and a Lexicon and 75 bucks, which is on the low end for an MX200. Maybe it's time to scratch if you've been itching!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well I picked up this unit yesterday and gave it a good workout. The drivers installed without a hitch under the x86 side of the program files. The standalone editor seems to work fine and using with Reaper it worked right away as a bridged plug without installing jbridge.
The sound is pretty good for an entry level verb and for 75 bucks i'm not going to complain. I'm using the analog in's/out's for now. Might have to see if I can find an AES/EBU to coax/RCA converter somewhere.
petal

Post by petal »

Have a look in this thread for converters ;)

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33638
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

hmm yeah that would def do the trick. Don't think I want to spend that much money though. I have a spdif RCA to optical converter that i'm not using but my Xite ADAT's are all tied up. I could use my pci cards on another computer but no DAW on that one. Anywaze.....getting too complicated for minimal gains. The analog ins/outs are working fine.
Thanks for the tip though