Pulsar I+Cubase+External effects

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

freddan

Post by freddan »

Hey!

A month ago I bought an A8 to be able to make use of the ADAT interface and tap audio out to external effects.

Now it's time to mix the first song with the new setup. In Cubase I'm using send effects routed to diffrent ASIO outputs. These outputs go into the Bigmixer where I'm using AUX to send the audio to my external effects through ADAT. The returns from the effects are going back in again through the ADAT to the Bigmixer.

Now I want to record the whole thing including the effetcs (all flat audio is already recorded) which I guess I could do by routing the Cubase Mix from the Bigmixer back into cubase together with the effect returns.

But I don't know if this is the best way to do it. I would like to hear with you guys if you have any other setups that works better and smoother?

/freddan
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

.... you can conect bigmixer/stereo out to wave destination and record everything in wavelab or soundforge.
that's the way i like :smile:
freddan

Post by freddan »

That sounds like a smart way! You won't loose any bits when using the wave out? Say you're working in Cubase in 32 bits.

/freddan
at0m

Post by at0m »

ASIO is basically the same to wav, it's only an enhanced driver, allowing some xtra's.
but any driver is as accurate as it's bitdepth ans samplerate.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i mix to samplitude(for it's mastering and cd burning features),using 24bit wav drivers,from logic,using asio.
freddan

Post by freddan »

Cool, then I go with that! Good and simple solution. My mind was stuck with the mixdown in Cubase. Much easier to to do it in a different application of course.

Thanks!

/freddan
Ora

Post by Ora »

I was wondering though - when you direct the signal to the mix out into WavLab - you still have to listen to the whole song while recording...
Is there a way to route it back into cubase w/out recording it through the entire song & to just use the export function while its being routed into cubase?

I havn't yet tried it - but I'm thinking you would have to record it in cubase too unless there was a way to subgroup it in pulsar back to the main pulsar asio driver....

"oh my, I think i'v gone cross-eyed".....hehehh
at0m

Post by at0m »

that will not work. For XTC mode, you could record fromm the 'Merge' Bus, which mixes all XTC busses.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

when you direct the signal to the mix out into WavLab - you still have to listen to the whole song while recording...
Is there a way to route it back into cubase w/out recording it through the entire song & to just use the export function while its being routed into cubase?
yes, you can route pulsar instruments back to cubase then use export function with automatic mix which include native efects.
this is best way for me, but sometimes when i make some demos or comercials i use wavelab for 2track recording!

when you routing to cubase "you still have to listen to the whole song while recording" :wink: