Want to buy a new monitor, which one is best for you?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Want to buy a new monitor, which one is best for you?

Post by Nestor »

Hi guys! :)

I have been working with a couple of CTR monitors for ages, both high end, excellent monitors, Sony and Viewsonic, but time wastes everything…, and they have started to fail in several ways, and I don't think it is a good idea to try to fix them, they are way too old. Both started to fail at the same time, amazingly, but with different problems.

Well, it seems that I will have to join to the club of the digital monitors! I don’t really like them as much as I like high end CTR monitors, don’t know…, they are kind of softer to my eyes when working for so many hours...

I need to buy a new monitor rather soon, I am considering these two models, which one would do best in your understanding?

1 - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 922/review

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412687,00.asp

I don’t care about the bad button placement, because I am not going to be setting up every week, I will set it up once, and there you go.

2 - http://www.testfreaks.com/monitors/lg-ips277/
This is the second option, don’t really know…, they both seem quite similar in what they can do.

BTW, both are exactly at the same price, which is 400 USD.

Any insights will be very welcomed, thank you
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
hubird

Re: Want to buy a new monitor, which one is best for you?

Post by hubird »

I have two viewsonic monitors, since 5 years.
I chose them for the small border, as I wanted them in pair.
19#, widescreen wasn'tstandard those days.

One of them shows 'burning' behaviour, as I quite srewed up contrast and lightness to compensate for differences between analog and DVI connection.
Standard Mac blue had to be the same on both, and I hate screen savers of any kind, including my own pictures :D

I didn't know that it would have a huge impact on monitor's life expectation, stupid me.

The digitally one is still working perfectly, the pressed analog connected one started to lose one of it's basic colors, about one and halve year ago.
Remarkably it got stable again, after a few months of operating, with average settings that is.
Except the burning-in effects, but that doesn't bother me, you hardly notice in practice.

But I wouldn't pay more than 250 or so for a monitor today.
Devellopments in video world are so quick.
I'd go for cheap.
Cheap ones are just as good as higher priced ones, the technic is crystallized, if that's the word.

just keep an eye on the warranty specs.
2 years would feel comfortable. but that's Europe?
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

My boss at my old job bought a View Sonic similar to the one you're looking at right before I left last year. I have to say I wasn't impressed at all at the picture quality, so I'd stay away from that one. LG on the other hand has really amazing picture quality. Now my only experience with them is with their consumer televisions, more specifically their projectors. WOW I sure do love movie night in my living room. I'd get the LG.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

I've used a Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW and a 2253LW on my music rig for the past few years.
I can't fault them - I like the Samsung stuff.
Perhaps the modern equivalent of these would suit you.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Earlier this year, I got tired of starring at a 19" monitor. So I bought my first TV to use it as my PC monitor. It is 40". After all, it is not a rule to be able to touch your monitor from your seat.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I'm in the market for a new monitor as a second monitor. Recently I was using a cheap one for my mixer and it broke. Two monitors is really nice for music!

An important feature for me is IPS (In-Plane-Switching) because it allows you to view it from a wide angle. The only place for my second monitor is on top and that is a bad angle when sitting.

I was looking at Viewsonic but after what 53E7 said, I think I will get an LG. My LG has held up well and looks great (after a lot of tweaking in Windows 8).
Last edited by braincell on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I think you'd be better of getting a cheap dell lcd screen. (I'm guessing viewsonic is more expensive) The creative director at my old workplace did all his checks on a cheap dell screen and it was fine. I had a cheap dell also, and used it for 4 years, and it was still in great condition when I left the company.
braincell

Post by braincell »

This video shows the IPS viewing angles. Looks great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXwniYsqJwA
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

braincell wrote:This video shows the IPS viewing angles. Looks great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXwniYsqJwA
Amazing!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thank you guys for all the given answers

I am interested in what Brain is telling, I would like for it to be IPS, and both chosen monitors are IPS, so to be able to see the content from several angles. I can be playing guitars, standing up, or the keyboard sitting in a corner, and I will still be able to see what is going on. This is also essential to me, and one of the main reasons I never really liked digital screens, because they used to slave you to a single position in your chair, until now.

So far, the winner is the LG IPS277L. Even if I don’t work on CMYK projects too much, some multimedia projects will demand clear colors, and IPS screens give you them. I don’t think a Dell will do a good job in this field, it is more for office work rather.

I found out that the LG is in fact the creator of this new technology as well.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Neil B wrote:I've used a Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW and a 2253LW on my music rig for the past few years.
I can't fault them - I like the Samsung stuff.
Perhaps the modern equivalent of these would suit you.
My wife has one of those Samsung LCD LED 23", that I am using right now to answer to you, and it works great, but as long as you move from this very chair, you don't longer see the real colors. In fact, if you rise up or go down about 10cmt, there is an important change between dark and clear colors. She is a programer, so it's fine for her.

Hey, the LG I'm talking about seems to have some encouraging reviews.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

I'm using two monitors that are mounted on flexible monitor arms, so I'm able to change their position quite easily.
Might also work for you?

It's the modular system from Lindy I have:
http://www.lindy.de/Modularer-LCD-Monit ... 1&pi=40696

The monitor has to be VESA mountable for this kind of thing!
Here's a short video about the VESA standard (from http://www.LCDarms.com/)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfRFzGCNpOM
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Personally, if i was going for a 27" i'd get an IPS with 2560x1440 resolution. Maybe you can find a decently priced Asus 27" LED PB278Q?

correction, i think its PLS :)
Last edited by next to nothing on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Of course, there are touch monitors, too. Which could open up scope in a whole new way, also ;)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thank you Sunmachine, no doubt it’s a cool stand, but with the ISP technology I’m done, I mean, that’s good enough, anyway, I prefer not to be moving the thing every time, my movements are musician movements, so not so extreme as to need a special stand :)

Next to Nothing, getting a 27" with 2560x1440 resolution would demand me to change a few things from my setup, and spend some more money. Anyway, who could deny the beauty of such a resolution for a big 27" screen? It must be killer, but as I work at a distance, it will be just fine! :lol:

Jksuperstar, I don’t see myself with a touch monitor for what I do, I work mostly based in already build projects and tend to rather play than tweak, that’s because of the music I am most of the time asked to build for projects :wink:

Nevertheless, I have already made up my mind and my wallet too! The choice is done! I have just ordered the LG IPS 277L. I will tell you about it next Monday. I guess it's going to be a little weird, because I have been working with double screen for years...

This is the thing, then you realise how big it is:

Guys, you are such a nice bunch of restless people; I really appreciate and love it! You are great! Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to help! :)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Thats a great looking monitor :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, it is! I will be here in a couple of hours more and less, will set it up and hopefully, will coment from this very screen. Cheers :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I don't want to wander to far from this thread, but just keep[ing with the monitor theme, these are the two I'm excited about. Imagine a 2448 mixer on this screen? Or a Mattomat and such? 10-point touch is enough to cover my hands. I know JUCE can be compiled for multitouch, so maybe SCOPE with support for a multitouch screen isn't too far away ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-T232HL-bmidz ... B00966IW72

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2340T-23-Mu ... ell+s2340T

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hello guys... I don't have much time right now, but this thing is really great! So far so good! Really nice colours, BIG!!! I can see details I have never noticed before in Scope and Cubase, Synths, etc., I will tell you more later... :D
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, well, well…, there is a maxim that says: “Shit happens”, he he he… :lol: and it did happen. Guys, I worked with the LG baby for a couple of hours in full joy, until I got immerse into code writing and other text related stuff. Well… there I noticed something really weird, which was a wave crossing the entire screen, so you would see words kind of normal and then bolt, and then normal and then bolt, and so o, like a serpent crossing the screen from left to write. I don’t mean something “moving”, no, I mean, a still image, but with this serpent like movement in such a way that you could see the thing coming in and out with shades, and the bolted text would be also a little fuzzy. At first glance, I did not noticed it, because it is a soft effect, but common, I cannot live with it every day, I’m a bloody perfectionist :P

So, I broth the screen back immediately back to the shop and the guys said they did not believe what I was saying. They thought I was giving them a silly excuse to change it for something else. So I asked them to plug in the screen in front of me to show them the effect, and they were all kind of “wow…, what the hell is this?” Because they had never seen such an odd effect in any screen from the many they sell every day. Said that, please, don’t get mad against LG, it was a bizarre exception and that is how we should understand it.

I searched this problem on the internet but did not find anything either, perhaps because I don’t know how to call this problem.

Well…. I decided not to get the same one again, just in case, even if it has great colors and accuracy for graphics, but I also work a lot with text, programming, etc., so it is a must for me to have a clean, neat screen to look at when it comes to text.

Ok, I am now reviving a completely different beast now! Yeahhhh… It is the ViewSonic VP2365 IPS LCD 23”, way better in quality, but smaller than the 27”. This monitor is into the professional line of ViewSonic.

It is so pleasing to watch that it looks like a CTR high definition screen to me, but with a much powerful a crisp light, it really is wonderful for graphic work, highly recommended for any professional use in Photoshop or video editing (which is something I also do now and then), as long as 23” suits you.

Much better pack, it comes already build, you take it and plug, and that’s it. It has a few USB that always come handy as they are just in front of your hands. The “on light”, which is blue, is a bit too strong for me, I will cover it with something to kill the brightness.

All in all, it seems a great screen :wink:

Cheers