A plug in revolution is coming!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

A plug in revolution is coming!

Post by Nebukadneser »

Been absent from this forum for quite a while, mainly due to the time absorbing impact of my latest plug in which I bought in late 2011.

At that time I was looking for a physical modelling of a real instrument more than a traditional synth plug, I can remember, and one day I walked past this local music store with a wall covered in what appeared to be hand held interfaces for music creation and performance. They came in many different colours with the one thing in common that it had body, neck and strings attached to it. I asked the staff the regular stuff about bit depth, max polyphony, number of ins and outs, cpu load, software compatibility and integration possibilities to my other soft and hardware. I got the impression that the interfaces were mainly designed to produce sound on their own rather than controlling a VST component on a host computer, and I immediately felt that these were dated products.

However, I liked the design of a creamy white version with six strings and bought its sibling with only four but thicker strings just to have the full suite available in my studio. It cost a lot, but I had not seen much talk about, or images of, these interfaces in forums such as Planetz or at the Ableton, Propellerhead or Cubase user forums, so it might be a way to stand out, sound wise, of the music making crowd I thought, and I was advised to buy an amp even if I argued that I had pre amps, interfaces, mixers, plugins and monitors in my studio.

I got home and found a way to connect the interface with the amp, using jack cables and not MIDI cables (but could not find a way to connect the amp to my daw ...) and off I went. Needless to say i faced a steep learning curve, not being able to press the keys of my Oxygen 8, S80, An1x or CS1x to produce sound. But one I got an understanding of the layout of the interface, I could really appreciate the smart idea behind what appeared more and more to be a complete instrument of its own. The high resolution of bend notes and the non-aliasing transposition of the sound across the octaves blew me off my chair immediately, not to mention how the tremolo arm added another tactile dimension to the playability of the thing.

Cons: it tends to go out of tune which requires tuning, much in the same way as the oscillators of the early analogue synths I guess, so I count that as a bug which probably will be adressed in the next revision of the OS. (An OS which appears to be hard to update as far as I can see as there are no USB connections, but there might be a ROM chip inside - have not checked yet)

I sincerely believe I have seen the future of plug in design - there is a revolution coming!

Neb
dawman

Re: A plug in revolution is coming!

Post by dawman »

I would love to see what you are talking about.
Or is this top secret NI style marketting..?
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

I dare to say it is a guitar! :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

As in a 4 string Gibson Ripper....... :wink:
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

All I can hear is an Aerosmith tune but with the words of "Jimmy got a Bass", instead of "Jamie got a gun".
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

dawman wrote:As in a 4 string Gibson Ripper....... :wink:
:P
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

as i live in the same city it's probably the same interfaces that i noticed the other day. What really put me off was the unknowing staff. I asked them if it was 64-bit compatible and how many presets it had, and they just looked at me like if i was stupid. Oh, and it only had a Mono out, so no way am i buying that crap as most people have stereo systems these days.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dawman

Post by dawman »

So it is the NI style Top Secret marketting again.
Hope it truns out better than their revolution.
That went over like a Reggea Band at a Klan Rally....
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I wish someone would just make the absolute best Minimoog emulation, ever, and just make it available for free. Just to crash the minimoog market. It's just so fucking depressing seeing sooo many versions and revisions of the minimoog from sooo many plugin developers. I wish some creativity would inspire these bastards a little bit.
dawman

Post by dawman »

If you MIDI all of the 1s and 0s together they will get fat. And even have seperate glide, but still in low octaves the envelopes and filters sound like bagged farts.
Why don't they create something we don't have, take a risk.
Or just use a different picture.

I still haven't seen a Tube synth, and Guitar with Tape Reels near the pick ups for that saturated tone.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Jimmy, you might like Metasonix. They do only Tubes. And NO vintage recreations. And they DO make a tube synth. (And even a drum machine).

http://www.metasonix.com/index.php/s-2000-synthesizer

Next, take a look at this amp head they once made. The Manual is funny, just as a good bathroom read:
http://www.metasonix.com/G1000ownermanual.pdf
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:I wish someone would just make the absolute best Minimoog emulation, ever, and just make it available for free. Just to crash the minimoog market. It's just so fucking depressing seeing sooo many versions and revisions of the minimoog from sooo many plugin developers. I wish some creativity would inspire these bastards a little bit.
There is no real good VST/AU Minimoog D emulation.
Minimax as a DSP device is still the best IMO.
Solaris should be on par, maybe better.

But the very best,- for me,- is my original model D.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

jksuperstar wrote: Next, take a look at this amp head they once made. The Manual is funny, just as a good bathroom read:

wow! that's how i wanted to make the Scope manual!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

my god, I think I need one of these just from the name. Fucking Fucker.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:

wow! that's how i wanted to make the Scope manual!
Most entertaining manual ve ever read ! :lol:

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

kensuguro wrote:my god, I think I need one of these just from the name. Fucking Fucker.
:lol: :lol:

I checked the audio demos and now I fear it will make all my instruments sound the same,- but it shreds like hell for sure !

The little tube synth could be interesting and being an eye-catcher in addition.
I hope it runs hot,- one could fry eggs on stage ...
It sounds a bit like that.

:D

Bud
hubird

Post by hubird »

It's a guitar amp, pussyboy.

I don't give a rat-fuck about your endless quest for the “brown tone”. Brown is what your face
is like, after I wipe my ass on it.

:D this is really fu*king great :lol:
smart also, as what owner wouldn't read it and let read it friends?
Plus the marketing effect of it, this is an add in itself.
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's priceless.
I have begged for men with Penises do do this for years.
You have to be a jerk, not politically correct.

Tits and Ass, Cocks and Balls.....wins everytime.

That synth looks really sweet, I think I can order from GC and get a 30 day return if I don;t like it.

This is the best thing about Guitar Center, they will act like a botique dealership, and only the GC on the Las Vegas strip. I have paid for and kept everything I bought there.
And even if I wanted my money back, as long as you keep an Accounts Recievable with them there are no re stocking fees.

This is how a big store full of shitty new gear from big manufacturers should operate.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

not to sure what you guys are talking about? but I just want to say Fuck too!!! :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's about this link:

you have to follow the links, if you wanna know....