suggest me a virtual midi cable...

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

suggest me a virtual midi cable...

Post by bosone »

i have just bouth a korg nankontrol

the problem is that, if i use just scope, without the sequencer (sonar), i cannot direct the nankontol midi signals to scope.
how can i do this by using a background software?
i want something that, in background, directs inputs from nanokontrol to scope midi source... i have tried midi yoke but it do not work as i want...
i can open midiox to do that but it is annoying since it can't be minimized in the traybar.

any ideas??
Bud Weiser

Re: suggest me a virtual midi cable...

Post by Bud Weiser »

bosone wrote:i have just bouth a korg nankontrol

the problem is that, if i use just scope, without the sequencer (sonar), i cannot direct the nankontol midi signals to scope.
how can i do this by using a background software?
i want something that, in background, directs inputs from nanokontrol to scope midi source... i have tried midi yoke but it do not work as i want...
i can open midiox to do that but it is annoying since it can't be minimized in the traybar.

any ideas??
MIDIOX
http://www.midiox.com/

Bud
Tau

Post by Tau »

Wouldn't Copperlan work? It can access all MIDI ports on a computer...

http://www.copperlan.org/index.php/copperlan
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I use MIDIox with nanokontroller.
Works great.

G
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Just as an alternative, loopmidi might be worth a look.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Tau wrote:Wouldn't Copperlan work? It can access all MIDI ports on a computer...

http://www.copperlan.org/index.php/copperlan
Copperlan will be interesting w/ SCOPE 6 coming w/ Copperlan embedded.

Bud
Tau

Post by Tau »

Bud Weiser wrote: Copperlan will be interesting w/ SCOPE 6 coming w/ Copperlan embedded.
That will be interesting, but I have been using Copperlan already to connect my main DAW to the XITE laptop, and it works really well. no stress, all computers and MIDI ports are available on every machine, plus 4 Virtual MIDI ports...

You can use it on a single computer, as a virtual MIDI patcher just like Bosone intended... Copperlan can see all MIDI ins and outs and connect them virtually. I just made an experience, connected a usb keyboard to a novation launchpad. Silly, but it works, and it's a much more elegant solution than MIDI-OX (which I used to use ;) )
bosone

Post by bosone »

siriusbliss wrote:I use MIDIox with nanokontroller.
Works great.

G
can you run in the tray / background mode without having the window appear every time?!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Tau wrote: That will be interesting, but I have been using Copperlan already to connect my main DAW to the XITE laptop, and it works really well. no stress, all computers and MIDI ports are available on every machine, plus 4 Virtual MIDI ports...

You can use it on a single computer, as a virtual MIDI patcher just like Bosone intended... Copperlan can see all MIDI ins and outs and connect them virtually. I just made an experience, connected a usb keyboard to a novation launchpad. Silly, but it works, and it's a much more elegant solution than MIDI-OX (which I used to use ;) )
So, you say,- install Copperlan Manager (latest version) on a DAW machine,- and from that point, Copperlan recognizes:

1.)
The actually to the machine connected MIDI 8x8 interface (MusicQuest 8PortSE at LPT port in my case)

2.)
ALL keyboard- and other controllers connected to a USB hi-speed hub

3.)
All the single applications related MIDI I/O ports created by User,- in SCOPE, Studio One v2.51 Pro (or Reaper 4.2x) and Phead Reason 6.53 (MIDI In only).

4.) interconnects ´em all on one machine

Yes ?

Now, when it comes to 2 DAW machines (my intention) ...

5.)
Install Copperlan Manager on both of the machines
(the 1st running SCOPE 5.1 w/ XITE-1 w/ the apps mentioned above, the 2nd running SCOPE 4.5 w/ PCI Classic 15DSP)

6.)
connect both machines to a ethernet switch

7.)
run all MIDI bi-directional between these 2 machines over LAN (and all the audio over ADAT).

Will that work ?
If yes,- what will be the advantages of embedded Copperlan in SCOPE 6 then ?

8.)
What about replacing MusicQuest 8PortSE 8x8 MIDI interface (mentined above) by Alyseum AL-88 NOW and already before SCOPE 6 comes w/ Copperlan embedded and starting assembling Alyseum ALeX to 3 of my controllers ?
I´m just waiting for SCOPE 6 to do this,- so makes it sense to do now ?

I´m out now, come back in the nite and maybe I get a excellent advice here,- would be great.

best

Bud
Tau

Post by Tau »

There are many ways to use Copperlan, let me try to break it down a little....

On a single computer, Copperlan manager will recognize all present MIDI ports. This includes Scope's MIDI sources and destinations, as well as all your interfaces (USB or not). For example, my ESI 8x8 MIDI interface shows up as 8 different MIDI ports (in and out).

You can select which ports will be accessed directly by the Copperlan manager (there's a "MIDI to CP" port selection, for connecting the MIDI inputs directly to Copperlan, and a "CP to MIDI", to connect Copperlan directly to a MIDI out port). For instance, selecting a USB keyboard as "MIDI to CP", and one of Scope's MIDI ports as "CP to MIDI" will allow you to connect them virtually and play Scope from the keyboard.

For apps that do not have MIDI ports, for instance Studio One, one can use Copperlan's 4 virtual MIDI ports (called VMIDI 1 to 4). They can be connected to physical ports, and show up on the software as regular MIDI ports (in the same way as, for eg, MidiYoke virtual ports).

So, in a single computer, Copperlan will do away with the need for other virtual MIDI cables and ports. On more than one computer it gets a lot more interesting, as it will recognize ALL ports in ALL machines (have tried with 3 at the same time), and freely route MIDI between them. Again, this can be done by connecting the ports to Copperlan directly, or by using the 4 VMIDI ports Copperlan creates on each machine. A single Copperlan Manager instance on one of the computers is enough, as it can access all the ports on the network, you can configure each machine remotely.

One way I have tried this was to use my Launchpad, connected to the main DAW's USB, as a controller for Live on the laptop, and it works nicely, LED feedback and such... Also tried it the other way round, with a VCM600 connected to the laptop, controlling the main DAW. I am using a simple Gigabit switch to connect both machines via Ethernet (a Mac and a PC, BTW).

I think that having Copperlan in Scope (6) will allow for higher control resolution than MIDI... this way, it's still MIDI, 8 bit 127 step resolution... But as far as MIDI goes, this does the job perfectly.

Haven't tried Copperplug yet, but does look interesting as well...

I hope I have sort of answered your question, Bud. On top of all this, Copperplug has a quick and easy installation, very low latency, and a clean, elegant GUI. I suggest you give it a spin :)

Cheers,

T
Tau

Post by Tau »

About the Alyseum, from what I read, it's a MIDI to network interface, publishing its MIDI ports on a Copperlan network.

I am doing more or less the same thing with the ESI, it connects to the DAW via USB, and Copperlan publishes its 8x8 ports on the Network. But it is probably doing it in a more roundabout way (using windows USB and MIDI drivers), which shouldn't be necessary using the Alyseum- MIDI straight to network, and probably straight to Scope (6).

I could be wrong, though ;)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

bosone wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:I use MIDIox with nanokontroller.
Works great.

G
can you run in the tray / background mode without having the window appear every time?!
I usually open the MIDIox program to activate the routing after launching Scope, and then I just leave it running in the background. The window never pops up.
I suppose you could setup MIDIox to start at boot up and never have to worry about it.

G
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Tau wrote: Haven't tried Copperplug yet, but does look interesting as well...

I hope I have sort of answered your question, Bud. On top of all this, Copperplug has a quick and easy installation, very low latency, and a clean, elegant GUI. I suggest you give it a spin :)

Cheers,

T
Well, thx !
I cut the mail above here in reply but have read all,- extremely interesting and very good and detailed explanation.
I appreciate you already tested in depth and use it !

According to the Alyseum hardware,- yes, my intention is to ditch USB MIDI completely, selling all the other hardware MIDI interfaces.
I´m in a process refurbing my old keyboards I like more than all the new gear,- action wise in 1st place.
Yammi DX7mkII and KX76 trigger very fast when pressing keys and feel comfortable as synth actions and the Roland/Rhodes 88 weighted keys are perfect for me and the ac.-pno and e-pno parts.
And because these are old, out of warranty and work reliable since decades, they are perfect items for the MIDI over LAN mods which are cheap in addition.

Thx again,- I already downloaded the Copperlan stuff and will give it a try now.
I´m curious how it works w/ Studio One and Reason rewired though,- both´ audio runnig to SCOPE / XITE-1.
I now have to re-read what Copperplug does,- can´t remember actually.

best

Bud
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

CopperPlug is a wrapper for VST plugins, and makes their parameters editable via CopperLan.

If you've ever used Novation AutoMap, it's very similar: a wrapper is created for each plugin, and that is loaded instead of the normal VST in your DAW.

So if you have an editor that is CopperLan accessible, you can now see your VST plugins, and do quick assignments from the plug-in to the editor.
Tau

Post by Tau »

[quote="Bud Weiser"]
I´m in a process refurbing my old keyboards I like more than all the new gear,- action wise in 1st place.
Yammi DX7mkII and KX76 trigger very fast when pressing keys and feel comfortable as synth actions and the Roland/Rhodes 88 weighted keys are perfect for me and the ac.-pno and e-pno parts.
And because these are old, out of warranty and work reliable since decades, they are perfect items for the MIDI over LAN mods which are cheap in addition.
/quote]

I like that idea :) Keep us posted!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:CopperPlug is a wrapper for VST plugins, and makes their parameters editable via CopperLan.

If you've ever used Novation AutoMap, it's very similar: a wrapper is created for each plugin, and that is loaded instead of the normal VST in your DAW.

So if you have an editor that is CopperLan accessible, you can now see your VST plugins, and do quick assignments from the plug-in to the editor.
Thx JK !
In addition I read the website again, cool.
Now, w/ Copperlan embedded in SCOPE 6 (and whenever it comes) I can expect that means we would have the same control we have for VST devices also for SCOPE devices (as plugins) in a DAW sequncer track and w/ higher resolution (???).
That would be phantastic !!!

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Tau wrote:
I like that idea :) Keep us posted!
Thx, yes I will, but it needs some time, maybe starting w/ one.
I was on Copperlan site an hr ago, found much more detailed info than last year and downloaded the latest XP version.
Too late here now to install today ...
Waiting for 3 keys and felt strips for my 88note weighted keyboard,- if these are available and the action is fine again, I´ll buy a ALeX and throw it in which seems to be easy, then buy the ethernet switch.
When it works for one, it will work for all.

I´m not sure about smaller units like my Roland R8 drummachine,- it´s sounds are unused today, but there are the 16, to MIDI Out velocity sensitive pads,- each assignable to separate MIDI note across 16 MIDI channels,- and w/ 5 banks for the 16 pads !!!
90 MIDI notes for controlling drums & percussion in VST software by flipping the bank button.
You won´t find that in any new item available today except a MPC.
It´s a candidate for Alyseum ALeX too,- if it fits into the case.

I also think of my JL Cooper Fader Master Pro.

Bud
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

I'm also using Copperlan to connect my MacBook with Studio One with my SCOPE PC. Works great so far!
By the way, the new Copperlan version allows you to map not only MIDI ports and channels but also single Continuos Controllers (CC).
I didn't try that, yet, though.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

sunmachine wrote:I'm also using Copperlan to connect my MacBook with Studio One with my SCOPE PC. Works great so far!
By the way, the new Copperlan version allows you to map not only MIDI ports and channels but also single Continuos Controllers (CC).
I didn't try that, yet, though.
That´s interesting and I hope the roadmap is, making Copperlan Manager a full featured MIDI processor in future,- thinking of key windows/ranges for splits & layers, doing transpositions, velocity- processing/ switch per MIDI channel and transmitting clusters of pre-programmed MIDI Bank & Prg.-Changes on all MIDI channels/busses triggered by a single program change transmitted from your masterkeyboard and being organized in "song/project-scenes", every scene being part of a setlist for gigging.
Would be ice on the cake though !

Bud
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

and/or if MIDI OX had direct CopperLAN support built in ;)