Strummer for Six String

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sunmachine

Strummer for Six String

Post by sunmachine »

This might be a nice companion for Six String!?

http://www.mildonstudios.com/product_strummer.html

They're currently running a discount so it's available for $24 instead of $49.

Liquid EDGE

Re: Strummer for Six String

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Hey. Thanks for sharing. Looks useful. :-)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Missed the discount but I wonder if anybody take the chance to test it ?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I bought it. I'll try and do a demo tune with it as 'soon' as possible.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Great !!!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Any demo ?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Sorry, been too busy.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Midi VST developer "Insert Piz Here" has a suite of excellent -free- Midi utilities called PizMidi.
One of these is Midi Strummer.

These are GUI-less VSTs, but see this page for how to wrap a GUI over them:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269553

Here's the main PizMidi site:
http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

Here's Midi Strummer wrapped in that GUI:
MidiStrum.png
MidiStrum.png (16.04 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Nice find, I'll try it.

Being Juce based for part of it, it should be possible to convert/integrate into Scope 6/Open Scope.
Depends on what would be possible regarding Open Scope license with GNU license though.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Yes, strangely, even tho I am a Noah owner and have SixString, I never actually tried this Piz plugin with Six String! Guess I always just used a guitar!
I've used other plugins from his suite - for example, the Midi LFO is a standard in projects now sending CC to my Vermona Lancet for PWM, to add an edge to an aggressive bassline... It's such a comprehensive set of plugins that it's worth familiarising yourself with the range.

I also have a YouRock Guitar (with Midi Out), bit of a toy, definitely not a guitar, but I still find it far easier to improvise on a fretboard than on a keyboard, either guitar or bass lines. I say it's not a guitar, because you cannot pull off to a open string or do string damping, or accurately control hammer-ons or pull-offs, or bend strings for vibrato (stuck with the unfeasibly long yet ultimately trimmable whammy bar for pitch bend). And yeah, I have to clean up the Midi afterwards - false triggers, velocity variance - altho the mipressor (midi compressor) plugin does help (another useful freebie: http://adam.fulara.com/software). The fact that the YouRock has an internal little synth and a headphone out jack means you can noodle away learning the vagries of its use while the wife is watching TV!

They've recently released YouRock Guitar mk2 (something like that) - apparently, they made a point of addressing some of the well-reported problems, such as those I listed above. Just wish there was something in between the low-priced YouRock and the far more expensive Starr Labs guitars... altho there's little doubt but the Starr Labs are superb instruments, and you do get what you pay for by all accounts - i.e. a playable gig-worthy instrument.

What you're saying about integrating something like this - an open-source project handling pure Midi - into Open Scope is very interesting. It really would --open-- things up!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Meanwhile I received a YRG and starting to use it to control 6-Strings.
Interesting actually. Now, I have to learn how to play the guitar :D .
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

You bought a YRG? Based on what I said?!

Did you get a MkI, or the one that came out this year, the MkII?

If you don't know how to play a guitar, then that's probably a good thing, cause with the limitations of the YRG, you won't naturally be trying the tricks that don't work on it (open string damping! I think the touch panel at the bridge/tailpiece on my one is dodgy, maybe)...

With so many open tunings programmed in, you will be a powerchord hero yet Hurolura!

Best of luck!! :-)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

No, this just happen because of SC Xite-1 + Gift offer. :roll:
I tried to guess what the strange red gift was and decided I would get myself the gift on my own (I already love 6-strings).

So I got a cheaper YRG 1 for a start.
I knew about YRG 2 (from kickstarter actually) but didn't want to pay more for just trying it. Maybe I will upgrade later if I improve my guitar playing level :D
Much better guitar feeling already ... but as I said I am not a guitar player (nor am I a keyboard player, my favorite instrument is something else ... sometimes it is just Sharc Loop stepseq)
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Cool. ;-)

Couple of words of advice:
- Get a Plectrum. I'm a fingerstyle player mostly, but the pleck always comes out for the YRG unless I'm doing monophonic stuff like basslines, gives far better response and more accurate dynamics. Don't forget - the mechanically difficult part of playing a guitar is around fretting the strings (especially when you're starting off), but the most important part of playing a guitar is the strumming/picking hand...
- Make sure the latest firmware is installed on the YRG. Big difference.
- Simplify your playing experience by using the drop tunings, and just barre your way to easy chords on your fretting hand while learning how to pick out notes and strum accurately on the unit with your other hand.
- Once you get a bit more proficient (give it a week anyway), revisit the Editor software and see if string sensitivity changes on the unit improves your experience.

All the best with the YRG!
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Editor software ? I just plug the MIDI out to the NOAH Ex for a first experiment and figured out how to make it work in less than 2 minutes.

I'll check all this later ...
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Just to let you know that Mildon Strummer 7 is currently available for $12 instead of $49.

http://www.mildonstudios.com/products.php?item=strummer