Modal funk? Modal 2step? Modal fusion? Modal total non-se

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: Yousers!<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar mixers and effects<BR> copyright © 2001 Ken Suguro<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> Mode's been a "thing" for me lately.. last couple of posts have been some experiments.. and here's another one. This time even more in the "wierd" vein. These tiny riffs and phrases are totally funny and strange. But in terms of musical effective-ness, there's much more experimenting to do.

This song doesn't have too much to do with Pulsar, other than that it's been mixed on Pulsar. I did this song as a "session" thingy with a friend of mine. Nothing better than a session with a good friend and a couple of beers. Anyway, I got carried away and the song literally disentegrates at times. As if the only thing tieing things together is the bassline. Well, that could be the whole point...

Also, for some strange reason, the song ended up being more "fusion-ish" than I'd expected. I wanted to make something more funky. As far as I know, this ain't funk. It could be the mode deal or maybe the slapbass.. And the bass drum... OH THE BASS DRUM. It's dynamic, and it's all over the mid bass range. Heck if it weren't for these guys that always want to stand out of the mix, the world would be a peaceful place. I guess I had too much pitch modulation.

So anyone have suggestions? This style is a bit new for me so I'm very curious. I have a feeling that it could work.. but for that to happen, there's still more work to do. Practice makes perfect!
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

nice 'n fusiony and yes, funky. and perhaps the slopiest hi hats I have EVER heard. . .
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

hahaha! :smile:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

glad ya laughed n didn't get offended!
most people take themselves far too seriously . . . again, neat track (minus the drunken HH!) :lol:
Yoonchi

Post by Yoonchi »

Cool tune. Kinda loungey 2-step. I can barely notice the sloppy HH, :grin:. I thought 2-step always is supposed to have sloppy HH, :grin:.
Mix is great.
Yoonchi.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Well, the sound itself is sloppily made.. like it's just a banpasses noise. hehe. I think all hats other than the off-8ths are hand played without quantize. talk about sloppy. hehe.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Oh Man! I feel like adding guitar to this.
Very inspiring, Ken!
Are we listening?..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I'm veeeery curious to hear how that would turn out! :smile: :smile:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Let me get rid of my before Christmas backlog and I'll have a go. I got lots of ideas out of this tune. :smile:
Are we listening?..