Can't get into the forum...

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Can't get into the forum...

Post by Nestor »

Get this constantly. Do you know anything about it?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /usr/home/planetz/www.planetz.com/htdocs/forums/includes/ ... decomp.php on line 2
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Re: Can't get into the forum...

Post by Nestor »

The only way for me to write anything, is to make very short messages like this one...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Otherwise, I get this message... I have tried to allocate myself more memory, as a moderator, but there is not such an option.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I had that message in the past. I could be wrong but i think i deleted some of my old PM's and that might of stopped it. If it was'nt the pm's then i don't remember what, but i did get that message as well and now i don't.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

This message appears when you use letters or characters this forum system don't know.
Avoid it and you are fine. If you get this message there is one or more 'bad' characters.

Maybe this forum needs a language upgrade that includes all characters. I don't know if this is possible.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm writing like I have always done. There are not strange characters in my writings. I use plain English text, just like always.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have deleted all my PM posts, but I don't think there is any relation with it, but well..., just in case. I don't have time to search this solution
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have done a search in the forum and in internet, and it seems that now and then some of you too have had this little problem.

I usually write in a word processor, and then past it into the forum or anything, when writing English, becuase I like to write, if posssible, without ortographic errors. Right now I am writing directly to the board, and I will copy past this last phrase with the aim of seen if I can write longer. If I can, then Chris will be right about wrong characters of some sort comming from my wordpad. Let see...

I usually write in a word processor, and then past it into the forum or anything, when writing English, becuase I like to write, if posssible, without ortographic errors. Right now I am writing directly to the board, and I will copy past this last phrase with the aim of seen if I can write longer. If I can, then Chris will be right about wrong characters of some sort comming from my wordpad. Let see...

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

And the winner is.... : Chris Werner!

You're right, because when I write directly to the board, I don't have this problem. thank you for the simple direction.

:D
valis

Post by valis »

When you're entering text into whatever program you're using, maybe insure that it's using utf-8 by default. Are you on PC? Mac?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm on PC right now.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

It's a frustrating bug in the current version of phpBB. I've tried to fix it myself, but haven't had the time to really sort it out.
I'm totally up-to-date with phpBB software, and the server versions of php, mysql, etc.
As Chris said, it happens when typing non-standard qwerty characters like accents, back-quotes, etc.
If you avoid those, it should work ok.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
-John
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hi John! :)

thank you for your help. No problem, it's not really a bit deal. I have to write directly into the board instate of doing a copy-past from word.

I take advantage of this moment to let you know that I have send you a mail related to some music I want you and your sister to have. Is your mail working fine?

Cheers
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hi Nestor- yes, I replied to you on august 15, to your wahsburnstudios address. Strange that you didn't get it! I'll resend it.
-John
valis

Post by valis »

Nestor wrote:I'm on PC right now.
Use textpad (non free), editpad lite or notepad++ if you prefer composing in a larger text area:

http://www.textpad.com/
http://www.editpadlite.com/
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Editpad lite is probably the 'easiest' to approach, notepad++ is great in terms of community support because of its GPL license and I personally prefer Textpad because I use it for a heck of a lot more than just writing forum posts (I've extended it to have full syntax highlighting and custom indenting for light windows coding, html/css/php and so on, notepad++ can do this too but there's a few non-standard key combos carried over from its GPL heritage that trip me up for selecting to end of line from cursor & etc...)

Setting your character set to a basic font (not an extended character set) for your text formats & file format UTF-8 (rather than UNC) should avoid nonstandard characters I think. Unfortunately I only use US English keyboard layouts so am not 100% sure if yuo'd also need to switch your windows keyboard layout as well...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

John Cooper wrote:Hi Nestor- yes, I replied to you on august 15, to your wahsburnstudios address. Strange that you didn't get it! I'll resend it.
-John

Ups... it always works. Perhaps it was becuase I have changed to the new interface that Yahoo! is offering.

thank you for the repetition :D
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

valis wrote:
Nestor wrote:I'm on PC right now.
Use textpad (non free), editpad lite or notepad++ if you prefer composing in a larger text area:

http://www.textpad.com/
http://www.editpadlite.com/
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Editpad lite is probably the 'easiest' to approach, notepad++ is great in terms of community support because of its GPL license and I personally prefer Textpad because I use it for a heck of a lot more than just writing forum posts (I've extended it to have full syntax highlighting and custom indenting for light windows coding, html/css/php and so on, notepad++ can do this too but there's a few non-standard key combos carried over from its GPL heritage that trip me up for selecting to end of line from cursor & etc...)

Setting your character set to a basic font (not an extended character set) for your text formats & file format UTF-8 (rather than UNC) should avoid nonstandard characters I think. Unfortunately I only use US English keyboard layouts so am not 100% sure if yuo'd also need to switch your windows keyboard layout as well...

Wow, thank you for this answer, I will try it out, right now it is too late, and I have to go... More later... Cheers :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm using textpad right now, to see if I can write from here, and then past it to the Z.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Nestor wrote:I'm using textpad right now, to see if I can write from here, and then past it to the Z.

Yea... it works, thank you! :)
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hi Nestor,

I finally found and fixed the problem. Should be all good now.
Let me know if you see any more issues with this!
-John