Question re: transferring of software

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

forumer

Question re: transferring of software

Post by forumer »

Hello all

I'd like to know if anyone can tell me, if a card is registered to run 4.5 software and it stops working (hardware) is it possible to transfer that software to another "replacement" card?

Thanks again
garyb

Re: Question re: transferring of software

Post by garyb »

it may be. that's at S/C's discretion.
forumer

Post by forumer »

hi stardust

Thank you for writing.

Would it be a standard fee and is it written anywhere do you know?

regards
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Contact Sonic Core. Only they can really help you as all we can give you is advice based on our own experiences, but Sonic Core are very helpful, although it might take a little time as they are extremely busy at the moment. They may also be able to repair your existing card if that is the hardware you speak about failing.

The last time I did a multi plugin transfer it cost me Euro 98, but that was last year and at the time they had actually stopped offering the transfers due to the amount of work it takes. But only they can tell you the situation right now.

Hope that helps
forumer

Post by forumer »

I understand, I was actually anticipating that would be the situation, as I had a mate in the same situation and it was offered at 98 euro (additional software packs to cover other cards) so I guess this is the norm and understandably SonicCore would still need and be making money.

I only hope one day they release PCI-e versions or PCI 2.1 (3.3v) versions of their hardware or some other form factor since this stuff is almost anthropological.
garyb

Post by garyb »

forumer wrote:I only hope one day they release PCI-e versions or PCI 2.1 (3.3v) versions of their hardware or some other form factor since this stuff is almost anthropological.
well, there's the XITE-1
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

garyb wrote:
forumer wrote:I only hope one day they release PCI-e versions or PCI 2.1 (3.3v) versions of their hardware or some other form factor since this stuff is almost anthropological.
well, there's the XITE-1

Yes, definately worth considering if you are in the market.
forumer

Post by forumer »

t_tangent wrote:Yes, definately worth considering if you are in the market.
True but why not make some desktop only parts as well?

Surely the machines can be made to alter the form factor for lower voltages, or provide a new form factor via a bridge.

The UAD 1-e is really a pci-e to pci bridge card and works very well even though windows only sees it as a multimedia card. Were this the case for sonic-core you'd be able to get over all the TDM limitations and be able use standard digital links.

RME even have drivers for up to 6 cards but with SonicCore in many respects it is an archaic technology.
garyb

Post by garyb »

archaic?

NOBODY else in the business, not even analog devices themselves, the makers of the sharc dsp, have caught up to this technology. this card can NEVER work like an RME does because it's not even slightly the same thing. the UAD is not even in the same class or discussion, except that it sounds great. the XITE IS a pci-e soundcard, it IS the pci-e version of the Scope card.

btw- Scope does NOT use TDM links.
forumer

Post by forumer »

I'm talking about Form Factors here not comparing technologies.

The PCI specification is still maintained and is up to version 2.3.

Regarding PCIe, I'm sure due to evolution the PCIe "cards" would be 1.1 or 2.0 but being 1.1 compliant means no compatibility issues but as the buss architecture in pci-e is individual links, there are less problems anyway as bandwidth is already allocated.

As for DSP chips, they don't bridge directly to the PCI (express) buss anyway so that point is moot.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Most boards supply 3.3 and 5v anyways.I am running my 2 pro cards in a "old" dell that also supplys efx like reaktor and maxmsp over asio.Pci isnt dead for another 10 years atleast.Its not like vesa local bus(lmao).Even my new pc can supply both voltages for pci.It would be damn cool if they would bring out a pci-e card with the power of 2 older 14 dsp cards but their buisness modell isnt that widespread yet.If i were you i would buy a 14 dsp card and checking things out.

Tdm is used for linking cards together,same as protools hd.Time Division Multiplexing.Wiki has some great stuff about it.Its not a limitation imo.If you are referring to the plugin format...thats out of the question as its assembler code for the dsp´s same as uad-avid-tc-yamaha and so on.Its low level and very time consuming to programm instead of just c++.There are benefits tho.

Ok i am tired and rambling,if i am wrong about anything here just correct me please.
forumer

Post by forumer »

Hey Fluxpod

I think what you are saying is right but to add ..

PCI 2.1 adds transaction latency limits, which I suspect would be useful if you also use other PCI devices which for me I certainly would so there is a valid argument here for SonicCore to provide more compatible and updated hardware even for older form factors.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

The pci line of scope is just an anchor for them theyd like to get rid of.It will stay the way it is .I havent had any latency issues with it as of now.I am using 1 pc for cubase with a rme multiface and 1 pc for scope with 2-14 dsp cards.I submix in cubase and route 5 stereo streams to the scope rig for mixing and efx and add reaktor synths etc with asio on the scope rig.Both pc´s run 6 ms latency(7.something) in cubase with the usuall safety buffers in the drivers.Just works for me.I dont even think about latency anymore.I let this latency topic open to people with m-audio usb interfaces. :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

maybe i don't understand something, but the CURRENT card, the XITE-1 IS pci-e....

S/C is not currently making pci cards, though the DO fully support them.
forumer

Post by forumer »

Fluxpod wrote:I am using 1 pc for cubase with a rme multiface and 1 pc for scope with 2-14 dsp cards.
That's right and likely the way most S|C people would use it, eg scope only card(s) on one system.

If it is true as GaryB says that scope aren't making new cards, then how is it they are selling them on their website?
garyb

Post by garyb »

they aren't right now, and most use the same pc for the cards and the sequencer.

when i say what i say, it's not "if it's true", it's true. they have been having a heck of a time keeping up with XITE orders. they MAY make cards again in the future, but the new card IS the XITE. Scope PCI and the XITE software are identical, except for pci vs pci-e use.
forumer

Post by forumer »

garyb wrote:they aren't right now, and most use the same pc for the cards and the sequencer.
Well that's the thing, if you have only a PulsarII for example, you need another audio interface and I am no hardware expert by any stretch but when the specification speaks about "transaction latency limits" I take it that this means transactions, insofar as the PCI buss is concerned, can continue on indefinitely until the OS terminates them if for whatever reason they cannot be completed.

Of course it would be more reliable to have latency limits built into the hardware so if and/or when SonicCore decide to start manufacturing desktop only parts, the question then is, will they use PCIe, or a later version of the PCI specification.
garyb

Post by garyb »

are you serious, or are you just trolling me?

why does one need another soundcard with a pulsar2? it allows 20 inputs and outputs plus midi! :lol:

THE XITE IS PCI-E! it IS the desktop card. the fact that it will work with a laptop is a bonus.
forumer

Post by forumer »

@gary b

I do believe you have missed something?

Not all soniccore cards come with i/o modules or are you only used to one way of working.

Maybe I take back my advocacy comment?
garyb

Post by garyb »

all pulsar2s come with i/o modules. all of them.
i agree that i must have missed something, and i'm not being sarcastic. i'm sure i misunderstood you.

really, S/C hasn't made any pci cards. those that they sold were the last of the Creamware stock. they may have made a few after that, but not many if they did. the current S/C card is the XITE and it only comes with i/o.

even in xtc mode, there's no reason to have another sound card. if one really WANTED to use xtc mode and another card, one could remove the i/o plate or find a srb or xtc card and use it in the same fashion as a UAD card. there would be latency, sure, but who cares? the sequencer adjusts playback accordingly. of course, in xtc mode, one loses the zero latency environment, but for those who don't care, that's fine.

the question about what form will new cards be in, well, XITE is the new card(as i keep saying). only S/C knows for sure and even they won't know for sure until it's time to make it happen(although i'm sure that they are making plans), but it's probably safe to say that there would be a cutdown version of XITE in the future. it's also possible that they might do a few more runs of the old cards if the demand was high enough. at this point, to the best of my knowledge, demand for the XITE is taxing the assembly line resources, they have been having a hard time keeping up, although there should be good stock by may. perhaps then they might be able to consider making something else.

for more REAL information about this subject, you'd really have to write to S/C. i'm thinking you could give Holger a break though, he's pretty darned busy, so busy he spends all night answering emails when he should be asleep... :lol: