Why should I upgrade to scope 5... help me decide

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shot

Why should I upgrade to scope 5... help me decide

Post by Shot »

Hi all!

I'm currently running two card configuration (Pulsar2 + Luna + Luna Adat expansion) in my studio with scope 4.0. I'm in love with it mainly because of the routing in scope. Also, I load some delays and MasterVerb when I'm mixing. I mix on hardware desk, but I have permanently patched my desk's aux sends into converter's inputs to load reverb and delays. They combine in scope into a stereo signal that is sent to desk's stereo return.

I'm considering an upgrade to scope 5...
I'm not an average user, since as I can see here I'm not into heavy dsp synth and effect usage. In fact, I don't use synths at all! Not that I don't like them... I do recording in my studio - not arranging and composing. I don't have any additional effects or packages purchased. Just plain scope 3.1c that I've upgraded to 4.0.

The main benefit of upgrade in my case i guess would be to get new drivers. I have read that scope 5 has new set of drivers. And also, I'm interested in those new reverbs bundled with scope 5 (are they bundled into a price of scope 5 ??)

So I have a few questions before I make my decision:

1) Is there a real-life benefit of having new drivers? I'm sure they are more stable and everything, but my current setup runs very stable and I have no problems with crashing of any kind. I use XP, I tailored it for audio and it runs fine. Are new drivers capable of shorter latency over asio? See, if I put latency on 3ms i still get some clicks even though I'm on powerfull pc machine (3ghz dual, 4Gb ram, fast disks). Some other audio cards don't have clicks even when they're on 1ms latency. Will I be able to run on lower latencies with scope 5?

2) What's the deal with different bundles for different DSP options?? I'm a bit confused!! On Sonic Core's web in the Scope 5 product description there's three types of upgrade - for 3 or 4 DSP cards, for 6 DSP cards and 14 and 15 DSP cards. They get different bundles of effects and synths registered, am I right? If so, does that mean that I'll get to pick Mix'n'Master pack 2 included for free in my upgrade? (since I own 6 DSP card) ?? I'll probably have to ask Sonic Core directly, but I wanted to ask here also if someone knows.

3) I the press release description of Scope 5 (http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/scp.html) they say it has new effects, but they don't mention it in the product upgrade description (http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/scp.html). No mention of those LX-Reverbs or SC-channelstrip effects (in fact - no description or sound examples nowhere at all !!!). My direct question is - are they free with scope 5 or they are purchased separately?? Or maybe they come bundled only with scope 5 for excite??

I know this is a lot of questions and thanks for your patience! It's all Sonic Core's fault since their website is so uninformative. After going all around their web I still have no clue! (message to Sonic Core - please do get a day or two to write down some more info on your website! Damn! It's 21st century and it's all about web!!!)

thanks!

:)

Luka
netguyjoel

Re: Why should I upgrade to scope 5... help me decide

Post by netguyjoel »

The purchase of 5.0 is more than worth the money. The additional devices, (synths, sampler, modular III, Mixers, filters, FX etc)
It is the same as the 5.0 for XITE....here is the list...as you can see...well worth the money! :wink:

# Mixing: STM2448, STM4896, STM 48 S, STM 1632, STM 16 S, Dynamic Mixer, Micromixer, Channel, Meterbridge, ControlRoom
# Reverb: MasterVerb Pro, MasterVerb, MasterVerb Classic, Early Reflector
# Dynamics: Compressor, Limiter, Gate, Expander
# Filter: GraphEQ, Parametric EQ, 4-Pole Filter, High Cut Filter, Low Cut Filter, DC Filter, MIDIPole Filter
# Chorus: Chorus, 4-Tap Chorus, Harmonic Chorus, Hexa Chorus, Master Chorus
# Flanger: Flanger, Harmonic Flanger, Master Flanger, Space Flanger, Random Flanger, Step Flanger
# Phaser: Phaser, SSB Phaser, SSB Modulator, SSB Mod Delay
# Delay: Delay, Ducking Delay, Pattern Delay, Multi Tap Delay, Delay LCR, Delay Long, Dual Delay Long
# Mastering: Dither Shaper, Stereo Expander, Softclip, Spectral Balance Control
# Distortion: Distortion, Overdrive, Tube Drive, TQ Drive, Resonator
# Modulation: AutoPan, AutoWah, Tremolo, MIDI Tremolo
# Tools: AuxRack, MultiFX, Deesser, Ducker
# SpecialFX: Vocoder III, Ringmodulator, Pitchshifter
# Synthesizer: SB404, Poison, EDS 16i, EDS 8i, BlueSynth, EZSynth, miniscope, U KNOW 007, Vectron Player, Inferno, Lightwave, Prisma, Arpeg01
# Sampler: STS-2000P, STS-3000, STS-4000
# Mix'n'Master Pack 2: Optimaster, PSY Q, Vinco, Interpole, VDAT, Vocodizer
# Synth'n'Sampler Pack 2: Minimax, Profit 5, B2003, Modular III, Vectron, STS-5000
Joel
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i am only running Scope 5.0 RC at the moment. No real problems, not sure if drivers make much difference though. Some optimisation seems to have gone on for quicker load times. That list misses a few major add-ons.

Don't forget the new reverbs:
SC-Room 5-1 Surround
SC-Ambience
SC-Inverse
SC-Plate
SC-RMX 160 S

New EQs:
SC-EQ (M & S)
SC-SL9000 S

New mod effects:
SC-Chorus-Delay

New compressors/gates:
SC-C (M & S)
SC-G (M & S)
SC-GC (M & S)

and as additional purchase:
Transient Designer v5
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

You can always run it in parallel (installed in it's own folder), and check it for yourself without disrupting your current configuration.

Scope 5 release should be pretty soon I imagine - it's been in candidate-mode for several months now :)

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3